Anyone going to NOVA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SGellarDMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you who were accepted to NOVA plan on going...

Members don't see this ad.

SGellarDMD said:

I am unless UT-Memphis accepts me, then it will be a tough decision.

SGellarDMD said:
I will not be accepting the offer so that’s one more seat available.

Members don't see this ad :)
cowsgomoo said:

Wow, congratulations on all your acceptances. You're stats speak for themselves. So which school do you plan on going to?

SunnyDay said:
I am unless UT-Memphis accepts me, then it will be a tough decision.

So is UT your number one choice? Are you from there or what? What would be the reasons you choose UT over NOVA?

cowsgomoo said:
so what school did you decide on attending?

I have not yet sent in my deposit but I will be going to NOVA! I'm also in at Temple and Case but Nova just feels right... Anyone else going to Nova?

I'll be at Nova, too!

Utah, I'm right with you - Nova just "feels right!"

I guess that makes 3 of us. SGellarDMD, UtahDDS, and Sk8bull. Anyone else "feel good" about nova?

UtahDDS said:
I guess that makes 3 of us. SGellarDMD, UtahDDS, and Sk8bull. Anyone else "feel good" about nova?
I will be puting my money on my spot at nova. I have a school that if I hear something good from I might still consider. But even if I do hear from "that" school I think I'll still go to nova because the tuition is quite a bit lower. Looks like we'll be classmates! When you guys interviewed do you remember seeing more than that one small clinic? If the only clinic was the one I saw then it would be pretty crowded. Did I just get the rush tour? I think they may have been in a hurry to get us to our interviews. :confused: Also, are you guys thinking of buying or renting? One of the kids on the tour said he thought that the area was getting a little to expensive for dental students.

^ I don't think that clinic is small at all. I've been in there twice while fully occupied and it did not seem crowded to me. The other clinics (grad and such) are upstairs.

I'm not sure yet about buying or renting. Most likely renting b/c I'm pretty sure the cost of insurance is insane along with property value. Ft. lauderdale housing is expensive, but the cost of living is well below that of a city such as Boston or NYC.

It is a great school in a great location. I'm excited!

Sk8aBull said:
^ I don't think that clinic is small at all. I've been in there twice while fully occupied and it did not seem crowded to me. The other clinics (grad and such) are upstairs.

I'm not sure yet about buying or renting. Most likely renting b/c I'm pretty sure the cost of insurance is insane along with property value. Ft. lauderdale housing is expensive, but the cost of living is well below that of a city such as Boston or NYC.

It is a great school in a great location. I'm excited!
Thanks for the reply Sk8aBull. Ya, I think I just got the short tour. I was in and out in a little less than 3 hours and that included tour, lunch, and interview.

Dutchboy said:
Thanks for the reply Sk8aBull. Ya, I think I just got the short tour. I was in and out in a little less than 3 hours and that included tour, lunch, and interview.
Yah, i'm sure you did... cuz my interview lasted practically all day. I'm hoping to buy a house... if i can gather some money!!! So I will most likely be wanting a roommate, so sk8abull, if you're interested... let me know. Also, anyone else... just send me a message. I plan on coming down in the spring and summer to look around and find something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I'm going to Nova, too..

Do you guys want to start a "going to Nova" club and get to know each other?? :idea:

coral2005 said:
Yup, I'm going to Nova, too..

Do you guys want to start a "going to Nova" club and get to know each other?? :idea:

I don't see why not, we will be together for the next 4 years anyway!

OK then...what's next?

coral2005 said:
OK then...what's next?
hey... i'm in the NOVA 2010 club!!! i'm so excited. where are you from coral??? where do you plan on living. i'm so excited!!!

SGellarDMD said:
hey... i'm in the NOVA 2010 club!!! i'm so excited. where are you from coral??? where do you plan on living. i'm so excited!!!

HEYYYYYYYYY....Well, I'm currently in Ft. Lauderdale...I live literally about 3 minutes from Nova...and I'll probably be living pretty close to campus once school starts, too! I went to school up in Providence, RI...and recently moved down here because my fiancee goes to school at Nova. So, needless to say, I was VERY happy to find out I got into Nova and will be attending!!

Where do you plan on living??

I'm renting an apartment right now...but now that I know I'll be here for at least the next 4 years, I want to buy a place. But I'll have to definitely look around a little more first.

I'm so excited about this news...it couldn't have come at a better time!!

-Coral

coral2005 said:
HEYYYYYYYYY....Well, I'm currently in Ft. Lauderdale...I live literally about 3 minutes from Nova...and I'll probably be living pretty close to campus once school starts, too! I went to school up in Providence, RI...and recently moved down here because my fiancee goes to school at Nova. So, needless to say, I was VERY happy to find out I got into Nova and will be attending!!

Where do you plan on living??

I'm renting an apartment right now...but now that I know I'll be here for at least the next 4 years, I want to buy a place. But I'll have to definitely look around a little more first.

I'm so excited about this news...it couldn't have come at a better time!!

-Coral

congrats coral, hey since you live down there, you will have to keep us up to date on deadlines, news, etc. What is it like living down there? Keep us posted! thanks..... :cool:

Hey guys,

I'm a 4th year at Nova right now and will be graduating at the end of May...Anyway, if you guys have any questions about the school, you can PM me...Also, I can give you the scoop on housing around Nova, plus I will also be selling furniture from my apartment if you or any other acceptees are interested....best of luck....

stay classy...

Hey Ron, maybe you could fill us in on all the info you wish you would have known before dental school. What is the real estate like down there right now? Did you buy or rent? Any trouble finishing up your requirements? Good luck!

Ron Burgundy said:
Hey guys,

I'm a 4th year at Nova right now and will be graduating at the end of May...Anyway, if you guys have any questions about the school, you can PM me...Also, I can give you the scoop on housing around Nova, plus I will also be selling furniture from my apartment if you or any other acceptees are interested....best of luck....

stay classy...

Yeah, Ron, have you had any problems finishing up requirements? How does patient scheduling work there? Also, I have sent you a PM. :)

bump!!!

who's gonna be our classmates???

I will be there as well. I gotta go down there and check out apartments and stuff. Get the best deals before summer so, I gotta do that.

The only problem is finding something not 700 dollars a month. I dont mind roomates, I live with 3 right now. Plus most of your time will be at class and library, so I have no prob with an apartment far from NOVA, but cheap and decently clean.

If anybody has suggestions, say them on the board. If not, I am going down there within a month and will take pictures of a few apartments and prices etc.... I might upload them for you guys/gals on the west or north regions of US.

CYA Later, literally

R Patel
Former Gator

I have some pics of my apartment about 3 mins from Nova, if you all are interested. PM me. It's a 1 bedroom.. like 1250 a month. Pretty nice...clean, 3 pools, 3 gyms.. plenty of parking... many students, pet friendly.

^ What complex?

Archstone Palm Trace Landings

Hey coral2005, where do you think I should start looking? Is there any apartments for like 400 per room with like 2 or 3 roomates? I dont mind the distance from the actualy school. I heard Plantation area is good bc its far from campus and "less" beautiful, so it turns out cheaper.

I am looking at these prices and saying to myself thats expensive, considering apartments in Gainesville are alot cheaper.

Hey coral2005, where do you think I should start looking? Is there any apartments for like 400 per room with like 2 or 3 roomates? I dont mind the distance from the actualy school. I heard Plantation area is good bc its far from campus and "less" beautiful, so it turns out cheaper.

I am looking at these prices and saying to myself thats expensive, considering apartments in Gainesville are alot cheaper.

Thanks

I'm trying to figure out what to do about the whole living situation, too. I'd buy a 2 or 3 bedroom condo to live in but I need people to live with me! I'm thinking about just renting an apartment for the 1st year or at least part of it, and then if I meet classmates who are interested in living together, then go ahead and do it. Hopefully that will work! It would have to be after school starts because I would want to make sure everyone meshes well together.

Sk8aBull said:
I'm trying to figure out what to do about the whole living situation, too. I'd buy a 2 or 3 bedroom condo to live in but I need people to live with me! I'm thinking about just renting an apartment for the 1st year or at least part of it, and then if I meet classmates who are interested in living together, then go ahead and do it. Hopefully that will work! It would have to be after school starts because I would want to make sure everyone meshes well together.

i'm planning on having a place by late spring or early summer. preferably near school, but not sure yet. maybe we can meet sometime around that time and see if you'd like to room for the first semester or year since that's what you mentioned you were looking for. i will definitely be looking for 1 or 2 roommates, depending on the size of the place.

I'm sure if you're willing to have a roomate you can figure out a way to each pay only 400 in rent. I would definitely recommend buying something eventually, which is what I plan on doing. Plantation is not that bad...a little far from school compared to how close I am now (3 minutes). It is definitely smart to rent first and get a feel of the area before you go and make an investment.

Have you guys ever looked on craigslist.com? I'm pretty sure people post ads on there looking for roomates or advertising apartments for rent. Check it out.

SGellarDMD said:
i'm planning on having a place by late spring or early summer. preferably near school, but not sure yet. maybe we can meet sometime around that time and see if you'd like to room for the first semester or year since that's what you mentioned you were looking for. i will definitely be looking for 1 or 2 roommates, depending on the size of the place.

In the next couple of months I plan to drive down there and check things out. We'll see how it goes. :thumbup:

for those of you who are going...
have any of you received anything else from NOVA since you mailed in your confirmation letter and deposit? they've cashed my check, so i'm just wondering whether i should be receiving anything in the mail. anyone else in my position?

SGellarDMD said:
for those of you who are going...
have any of you received anything else from NOVA since you mailed in your confirmation letter and deposit? they've cashed my check, so i'm just wondering whether i should be receiving anything in the mail. anyone else in my position?
I sent my letter and check and according to the post office web sight they got it on Friday. I checked with the bank and they have not cashed it yet. When did you send in your check? I'm guessing they might put something in the mail to us after Friday when they know who is coming for sure.

I mailed my check yesterday. Haven't received anything in the mail.

I read somewhere that we need to collect some teeth for our first assignment at Nova... Does anyone know anything about this??? I guess we will hear about it soon enough. :confused:

UtahDDS said:
I read somewhere that we need to collect some teeth for our first assignment at Nova... Does anyone know anything about this??? I guess we will hear about it soon enough. :confused:

Yeah...and I want to go scub shopping, too. I have no idea how I'm going to get teeth, though. I might have to go to a 3rd world country dentist to complete that assignment. I'm sure I can get buckets full of teeth that way.

Have they cashed anyone's check yet?

I sent in my deposit quite a while ago...and I'm reaching the deadline. It still has not been cashed.

Anyone on the same boat?

I'm not sure if they have cashed my check but I called them a few days ago just to verify that they recieved my deposit... I would call if I were you...

I emailed Su-Ann Zarrett and she replied that they recieved my check and letter. I'm still concerned that they'll lose it or something and then claim that I didn't send it in. I know I could print out the email but I'm not so sure that would suffice. I just want them to cash the damn thing.

I think i'm being paranoid. :eek:

coral2005 said:
Have they cashed anyone's check yet?

I sent in my deposit quite a while ago...and I'm reaching the deadline. It still has not been cashed.

Anyone on the same boat?
Ya, don't worry to much. My check hasn't been cashed yet either but I e-mailed them and they said eveything is in order. :thumbup:

let's bump this bad boy!!!

Is there really no one else going?????????????????????????????????????????

I'm anxious to meet everyone.

Aweee...my little new D1s.....I'm am very saddened that I will not have the privilege to meet you all. If things go well, I may just get out of NSU-CDM! If you have any questions about your new school, feel free to ask.

Andy

coral2005 said:
Is there really no one else going?????????????????????????????????????????

I'm anxious to meet everyone.

What made you coose Nova of UF?

-C

Yah-E said:
Aweee...my little new D1s.....I'm am very saddened that I will not have the privilege to meet you all. If things go well, I may just get out of NSU-CDM! If you have any questions about your new school, feel free to ask.

Andy

I sent you a PM about Nova did you get it???

SuperC said:
What made you coose Nova of UF?

-C

Well, I live like 3 minutes from the school and I am in LOVE with this area!! I have family in Miami and in the Dominican Republic (which is really easy to get to from either Miami Int'l or Ft. Lauderdale airport), and the weather is a bit warmer. Also, my fiance already goes to school here at Nova and has a job down here...so it would have been too much of a hassle to move to Gainesville. We've been looking at houses/condos to buy around here.

Of course, I prefer the lower tuition at UF (and the lower cost of living), but I'll sacrifice a few $$!!

:)