Anyone got into med school with MCAT <20?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plrae12

studentforlife
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked before, and those who got in may not post their stats on MDapplicants so i'm curious: Considering everything else in your application is ok, Has anyone gotten into med school with an MCAT of less than 20?

Members don't see this ad.

plrae12 said:
I don't know if this has been asked before, and those who got in may not post their stats on MDapplicants so i'm curious: Considering everything else in your application is ok, Has anyone gotten into med school with an MCAT of less than 20?

With an MCAT below 20 you are going to either need to retake the test or sleep with the dean. Not a lot of exceptions out there to this rule.

Law2Doc said:
With an MCAT below 20 you are going to either need to retake the test or sleep with the dean. Not a lot of exceptions out there to this rule.

:laugh: just wanted to have some response that would empower those who have this statistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I did. You do need ALOT of extracurriculars and research. My GPA was also pretty good.

Some carribean schools may accept students with less than a 20 MCAT. I know of no US med schools that do, although I guess there's always exceptions to every rule.....

Would you guys look at a doctor differently if they scored less than a 20 on their MCAT? Would you let them be your doctor, or your kid's doctor? Just curious.

Personally...I don't think I would. I think at a certain point MCAT score does convey some meaning.

Chinorean said:
Would you guys look at a doctor differently if they scored less than a 20 on their MCAT? Would you let them be your doctor, or your kid's doctor? Just curious.

Personally...I don't think I would. I think at a certain point MCAT score does convey some meaning.

I don't think we'd be looking at a doctor at all with that score. But if that person somehow got in some place and got their act together and passed the boards etc., I'd be cool with it. People peak at different times, and maybe this person in your scenario was a late bloomer.

Chinorean said:

What about a guy with ::GASP:: a GPA less than 3.5! Or worse still, a GPA under 2.5! I mean, everyone has their GPA and MCAT tattooed on their forehead, so I wouldn't let a sub-2.5 butcher near my kids!

Chinorean said:

Hi there,
How are you going to know what any doctor scored on MCAT? If you are sick, you are going to anyone that can help you. I don't know of any physician who carries their MCAT scores in their pockets for patients to inspect.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
How are you going to know what any doctor scored on MCAT? If you are sick, you are going to anyone that can help you. I don't know of any physician who carries their MCAT scores in their pockets for patients to inspect.

I think what the poster was trying to say was that while there is a range of acceptable MCAT scores, there does come a point where a low score indicates serious deficiencies in the basic sciences. People have bad test days, but sometimes, a 20 is indication of a much deeper problem.

njbmd said:
Hi there,

Sheesh, SDNers are so nitpicky. Of course the assumption is that you would actually know. I'm just wondering how people would honestly feel. Even in medical school, people have mixed feelings over classmates who haven't had a chance to prove themselves and come with a range of stats.

Conceivably 40 years later they could be at the top of their field.

Chinorean said:
Sheesh, SDNers are so nitpicky. Of course the assumption is that you would actually know. I'm just wondering how people would honestly feel. Even in medical school, people have mixed feelings over classmates who haven't had a chance to prove themselves and come with a range of stats.

Conceivably 40 years later they could be at the top of their field.
No, you've missed our points. njbmd's was that that information's not readily available, so it's not a useful question to ask or even think about. Kinda like "What's the weather on Titan in June?"

By your reasoning, my MCAT says I should be a stellar doc, but by applying the same idea to a similar measure - GPA - I should be a horrible doc. I'm using hyperbole and myself as an example of how a number cannot define a person.

There are a lot of questions that aren't useful to think or ask. That doesn't mean it's wrong if people ask them. If you think they're pointless, then what's the point in responding to them? Is it really necessary to post twice to tell someone that their posts are pointless?

If someone asked me what the weather was like in Titan in June and if they should bring sunblock, I'd just say no but you should probably bring a spacesuit.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I quote my sister:

"WAIT--you posted on that thread? That's just asking to get killed."

I think she's right.

plrae12 said:

MCAT below scores are dangerous. My pre-med advisor always says that you don't need straight A's to get into med-school but a 3.0 is a kiss of death (which isn't ALWAYS true but is a good rule to follow). I imagine that any score at or below 20 is similar. If you have less than a 20, STUDY and re-take until you get above 26 minimum.

MD-To Be said:
MCAT below scores are dangerous. My pre-med advisor always says that you don't need straight A's to get into med-school but a 3.0 is a kiss of death (which isn't ALWAYS true but is a good rule to follow). I imagine that any score at or below 20 is similar. If you have less than a 20, STUDY and re-take until you get above 26 minimum.

It is other-credential dependant. Unless your other stats and app are pretty strong, a 26 still won't do it for you at most allo places.

Chinorean said:

Because the MCAT content is SO relelvant to the practice of medicine... :rolleyes:

NonTradMed said:
Some carribean schools may accept students with less than a 20 MCAT. I know of no US med schools that do, although I guess there's always exceptions to every rule.....

Well believe it or not I got accepted into Medical School with a 20 and it is an Allopathic school. My GPA was good and for those who think scoring low on the MCAT is such a determine factor of success in medical school, I HONORED all my classes this first year. I wanted to wait and shared this until I finished medical school and then post it here but really who cares what everyone on SDN thinks. Yes I do have to admit that I am very fortunate to have been accepted and lets face it anyone who scores a 20 in the MCAT has a 99.9% chance that you won't be accepted. I know that my admittance was a blessing for God and I can't thank him enough. I know there are going to be people in this forum who will say mean, rude, and ignorant comments and that is ok everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, it goes to show you that the MCAT is not a determining factor and only you can decide how well you do in Medical school. With that said I will post 4 years from now when I am finished with school and I get into residency, until then best of luck to all who are applying and to those who are in school.

PelvicSplancnic said:
Well believe it or not I got accepted into Medical School with a 20 and it is an Allopathic school. My GPA was good and for those who think scoring low on the MCAT is such a determine factor of success in medical school, I HONORED all my classes this first year. I wanted to wait and shared this until I finished medical school and then post it here but really who cares what everyone on SDN thinks. Yes I do have to admit that I am very fortunate to have been accepted and lets face it anyone who scores a 20 in the MCAT has a 99.9% chance that you won't be accepted. I know that my admittance was a blessing for God and I can't thank him enough. I know there are going to be people in this forum who will say mean, rude, and ignorant comments and that is ok everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, it goes to show you that the MCAT is not a determining factor and only you can decide how well you do in Medical school. With that said I will post 4 years from now when I am finished with school and I get into residency, until then best of luck to all who are applying and to those who are in school.

On the flip side, I got in with a cumulative GPA that a poster above would describe as the "kiss of death." Now I had a LOT of factors to make up for this (including the MCAT) but it goes to show that there are no hard and fast rules. Just about any situation can be salvaged with hard work and a little fast talking.

Or a lot of fast talking.

PelvicSplancnic said:

WOW...I would NEVER let YOU be my doctor!! (just kidding of course) But seriously, there must be better things to waste our time talking about...but since I have time to waste... It has never even crossed my mind to ask my doctors what they scored on their MCAT OR undergrad GPA...what about post-grad training?...hell, if you really NEED a number to quantify things, ask about their board scores...but hey, they DID get into med school, whatever their stats were. To me, the only thing that really matters is their post grad training...say Dr. Joe, MD goes to the lowest ranking allo school (nothing against Dr. Joe, DO), because his stats weren't the best, but excelled in med school, graduated at the top of his class, aced step one, got into the top residency program for his chosen field, and is now a stellar doc...is their MCAT score REALLY relevant? Just my 2 cents...don't hate.

plrae12 said:

Check out a copy of the MSAR. In the front you will see some statistics (distributions) of applicants' vs. matriculants' MCAT scores and GPA. It's pretty enlightening. As others have pointed out, the MCAT is only one factor among many. Applying with a score of less than 20 will put you at a severe disadvantage.

Sheesh. You're all so superficial. As long as he's a tall handsome white christian male, I don't care what my doctor's test scores were.

mcat doesnt mean sht in the big picture.

but damn, <20 will get you nowhere on this soil

Law2Doc said:
It is other-credential dependant. Unless your other stats and app are pretty strong, a 26 still won't do it for you at most allo places.

Apologies for straying from the original thread topic for a bit. But does anyone know a person who has scored a 41 or better on the MCATs? I hear it's possible but I personally don't know anyone who has done it.

That brings me to this rumor I hear where there is a unwritten rule of thumb medical school commitees use: If an applicant scores 41 or over on the MCATs, he/she is a shoo-in, regardless of GPA. As long as the GPA is above 2.0 in 4.0 sclae.

Some people don't score well on tests because they're lazy or not focused, not because they're dumb. Sadly enough, some of the most brilliant ppl I ever knew got the worst grades (and tended to drop out of school here and there). I think it's because, while growing up, they were used to putting in little effort and were so smart the teachers would either pass them, or the tests would be so below their level they would pass them with ease.

Now this says a lot about someone's diligence as well, their willingness (or unwillingness) to put in the time and effort when it really counts. Which of course might not make them a good candidate for med school, but may still make them an effective doctor in the long run. It's hard to tell, but the cut-off of scores and grades is just a rough guideline, because there are so many candidates, it is impossible to interview every single person to decide what was the reason for their poor scores/grades.

Now, on the other hand, sometimes a candidate can "make up" for things by reversing trends (taking grad school classes for example and doing well) or by convincing ppl of their devotion by their activities etc. Sometimes that is not enough, though.

It would be very difficult for anyone to be accepted with a score in the low 20s (or even lower), even with a good GPA. Not impossible, but just very difficult. Difficult to even get through the front door for interview day to argue your case too...

traintosave2000 said:
Apologies for straying from the original thread topic for a bit. But does anyone know a person who has scored a 41 or better on the MCATs? I hear it's possible but I personally don't know anyone who has done it.

That brings me to this rumor I hear where there is a unwritten rule of thumb medical school commitees use: If an applicant scores 41 or over on the MCATs, he/she is a shoe-in, regardless of GPA. As long as the GPA is above 2.0 in 4.0 sclae.

I know someone who score a 41, and they didn't get into 100% of the schools they applied. So no such unwritten rule.

Law2Doc said:
I know someone who score a 41, and they didn't get into 100% of the schools they applied. So no such unwritten rule.

Ditto for me. But I'm happy with my end results.

traintosave2000 said:
...he/she is a shoe-in, regardless of GPA...
The phrase is shoo-in, as in what you would say to get buzzing insects out of your face, not shoe-in. homonyms =/= synonyms

Law2Doc said:
Guy who taught my MCAT class got a 42, Harvard dude, wicked smaaaht. But I have a friend who is on an admission comittee. He says he is more critical of people with really high MCATs but only average GPA. He looks at it as saying, oh you are really smart but you just didn't work hard in college. You could have done much better if you tried. So he actaully holds them to a higher standard.

Law2Doc said:
I don't think we'd be looking at a doctor at all with that score. But if that person somehow got in some place and got their act together and passed the boards etc., I'd be cool with it. People peak at different times, and maybe this person in your scenario was a late bloomer.

Agree...

Well, I think of the MCAT as a hurdle on the road. In other words, this whole medical school thing - and even practicing medicine - is all about accomplishing whatever goal is in front of you. Doing well in premed courses, doing well on MCAT, passing your first two years with decent enough grades, passing step 1, surviving thrid year and managing to get a few good refs along the way, etc.

In other words, we all have to reach a certain standard to be able to progress to the next level. When I meet undergrads who say the same thing: can't I just slide on this MCAT thing? I say NO. Why? because it only gets harder from here on out. If you want to wimp out now, brother it will just be worse the farther along you go. Why not learn to do what it takes to get the grades/scores/etc that are are required? You will feel better about yourself, proud that you were able to change yourself and become someone who can work hard and achieve difficult goals.

I think medicine takes some moral character, and I want to think that the physicians I see are not people who cut corners from the beginning. What kind of person wants to cut corners and cheat? Integrity is a valuable asset.

Less than 20 for a score? Then bust your butt to raise it - do what it takes to acheive that numerical goal. It can be done. Ok, I will get down off my soap box now.

traintosave2000 said:

That brings me to this rumor I hear where there is a unwritten rule of thumb medical school commitees use: If an applicant scores 41 or over on the MCATs, he/she is a shoo-in, regardless of GPA. As long as the GPA is above 2.0 in 4.0 sclae.

dangerous assumption - definitely not true! there's no way for anyone to guarantee entry into ANY school, let alone entry into at least one school. i mean, the odds of someone with a 41+ not getting accepted anywhere (granted they apply to a range of schools in terms of rank) are very low, but everyone is surprised by who accepts and rejects them...at the end of the day, it is a very random process!

check out mdapplicants.com...

somewhere2010 said:
dangerous assumption - definitely not true! there's no way for anyone to guarantee entry into ANY school, let alone entry into at least one school. i mean, the odds of someone with a 41+ not getting accepted anywhere (granted they apply to a range of schools in terms of rank) are very low, but everyone is surprised by who accepts and rejects them...at the end of the day, it is a very random process!

check out mdapplicants.com...
I entirely agree. Med school applications nowadays are a crap-shoot. People with low scores sometimes get in but generally don't, people with hi scores don't get in but generally do, everyone in between has a random shot: who they interview with, when they apply, when the application file gets complete, etc etc...

Are there ppl in med school with <20 MCAT? Sure, but they're few and far between, and are often accompanied by extenuating circumstances or unique applications.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't these threads moved to pre-allo?

THanks for all your replies.