Anyone has trouble with volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpflash100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, if this is a double topic (feel free to point me in that direction).

I am getting really low (2) responses from PT about volunteering/shadowing. Are IT's really that busy - you make it seem otherwise.

Of the 10+ clinics I've emailed, I have only gotten responses from two. Is this a new requirement? Didn't current IT's have to do this? They seem totally unreceptive.

On the bright side, my first, and only, volunteer session was amazing.

Rich P.
sent using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Of the 10+ clinics I've emailed, I have only gotten responses from two.

I would definitely recommend phone calls/dropping by. My first observation experience fell into my lap (and was so positive that it convinced me to go back to school for PT). But I needed to pick up experience in a different setting for my applications. I thought it would be a piece of cake. I was wrong.

There were many unreturned emails/voicemails to various facilities. I finally got additional experience in a local hospital, but that required significant follow-up with the volunteer coordinator. After unreturned emails and phone calls, I showed up in person and was directed to go home, fill out a form on their website, and wait two weeks. I noted that I'd filled it out two months prior. The coordinator went and confirmed I was in their system and scheduled me for orientation.

So more time ticks by before one of their seasonal orientations (aside: 90% of the people there were doulas-in-training...has anyone else had this experience?). I fill out a bunch of paperwork, then pay to have them do blood work to demonstrate my various immunities. More time passes.

Once all my information has cleared, I needed to schedule a time slot. So I sit down with the coordinator and talk about some possibilities, she says she'll get back to me later that week. Weeks pass, I email, nothing. Weeks pass, I call and get greeted with "Oh, can you start this Friday?" So that was my experience.

I'm deeply appreciative of the hospital for giving me the opportunity to volunteer. Frankly, I'm shocked that the PTs there have been so kind and helpful to some stranger off the street. Also, as I have a clearer sense of how overworked the volunteer coordinator is, she now has my deep sympathy and appreciation.

But it was incredibly frustrating to jump through that particular hoop. I'm surprised that this forum hasn't had more people asking this same question.

Same with me. I had the same problem as you. I called 10+ clinics and only received 2 responses. I had to follow up the other clinics to actually hear from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes it's hard to get anywhere at the front desk of a clinic. You might try to find a way to contact the PTs directly. Ask everyone you know if they know of any Physical Therapists that would allow you to shadow. Also if you're in a position to do so you can look for a PT Aide/Tech position on craigslist etc. These are often part time and you can make a little money while building hours.

I agree, for me it was difficult to land experience volunteering/observing for inpatient PT. There was a specific hospital I wanted to volunteer for however when I called they told me that they are were in no need for volunteers and would call me back if anything changed [yeah right]. A few months later I found out my cousins girlfriend started working there (not as a PT) and gave me a few high names in administration to contact. After a few weeks of back-and-forth emails they said they would only be able to get me into their outpatient department. Even though that was not what I wanted at all, I told them I would do it. I thought that if I did some work in outpatient it would be easier to slip into the inpatient department, which is exactly what happened. I walked over to the inpatient supervisor and told them that I did so and so hours in outpatient and was required to do some in inpatient as well. Without hesitation they let me volunteer and the funny part was she told me they could always use the extra help!
So I guess in that situation it helps to have some contacts, I am not sure why it is so hard to get PT experience. Like rockstudy said check on craigslist for some PT Aide positions, that is where I found my job. Been there for almost two years and we always take in volunteers!
Good Luck

for inpatient go directly to the pt area and ask a pt directly. do the same for outpatient. worse case is they say no.

for inpatient i'd recommend going to the PT area in the hospital and ask to see or for the contact information of whoever is in charge of the volunteers. sometimes going thru the hospital's volunteer program takes longer and it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get what you want (at least this is how it worked for UCLA). i ended up contacting the volunteer coordinator for the physical therapist directly and got in within 2 weeks.

for outpatient, i agree with what rockstudy said. craigslist has a lot of pt aide positions. even if they require a year of experience, i would suggest you apply anyway. i applied w/ no experience and heard back from several places - many places will train you. or go directly to different clinics and drop off your resume & contact info! good luck!

http://christina-pt.blogspot.com/

It took me many months to find my inpatient PT observation experience. I went through so many volunteer coordinators at different hospitals, filled out all kinds of paperwork, got recommendation letters written (which one place required), and was told by one hospital that I would need to volunteer in the gift shop for 50 hours before maybe being able to volunteer in the PT department. That was the only place that even responded to me after I submitted all of said paperwork and made follow up phone calls.

I finally landed my inpatient volunteer experience when I contacted the rehab departments directly, by phone (not email), and bypassed the whole volunteer department completely. Once I managed to speak directly to a PT, she was happy to have me come in and observe right away, with minimal paperwork (just a TB test). Once I volunteered here for a while, the PTs I met were able to connect me with other local PTs that they knew so that I could observe in various settings.

I also suggest that you call or physically visit PT clinics. Look professional and enthusiastic, and maybe even bring a resume or letter to hand them about who you are, what type of observation you are looking for, and your contact info. Emails are too easy to ignore or get lost in a crammed inbox.

Thanks. I'm glad (?) that I am not the only person having this problem. I have tried the CL thing and the only opening had been filled.

I'll keep looking. Thanks all. I did get the one opportunity from knocking on the door.

Rich P.
sent using Tapatalk

I also had some trouble finding a volunteering position so I literally googled "San Francisco physical therapy volunteering" and came across a place, The Jewish of SF (SNF). Filled out an app, and within a few weeks began volunteering. So far I have about 200 hours and the entire staff and the patients are awesome. Then one of the PTs suggested I look into an outpatient clinic in the city so I e-mailed them, and have gotten some hours there, as well.

Perhaps you could try the same for your area. Good luck!

This is why I recommend that you start completing your volunteer experience now. The sooner you accumulate hours in various settings, the better. You can't assume that you'll start volunteering in a week or two. You should expect to wait at least one month to start volunteering/observing after you begin your search. Inpatient might take longer. I was extremely lucky that several volunteers were leaving the inpatient setting at my hospital. They just happened to need someone, and I started just weeks after I contacted the volunteer department.

The best way to apply is in person. Even in the internet age, it's still best to fill out a physical application, take a card, and actually meet the therapist. At least they can see your face. I don't recommend e-mail, because PTs are inundated with so many e-mails that your request will get lost, or it will not be a priority.

Kevin