anyone have a really great Temple interview experience?

nicole20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I just got an interview invite today after being complete at Temple since around November. I had pretty much written off this school and now the interveiw invite came as quite a surprise. However, I have already been accepted at North Dakota and Creighton and I have recently interviewed at Georgetown and the University of Minnesota. I would obviously go to any of these schools, but Georgetown and Minnesota are my top choices. I was ready to decline my interview, but i have to ask if anyone fell in love with the school at their interview. Would it be a big mistake not to attend the interview? Is it worth the money to travel to PA? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Uegis

1 Down 3 To Go
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
nicole20 said:
I just got an interview invite today after being complete at Temple since around November. I had pretty much written off this school and now the interveiw invite came as quite a surprise. However, I have already been accepted at North Dakota and Creighton and I have recently interviewed at Georgetown and the University of Minnesota. I would obviously go to any of these schools, but Georgetown and Minnesota are my top choices. I was ready to decline my interview, but i have to ask if anyone fell in love with the school at their interview. Would it be a big mistake not to attend the interview? Is it worth the money to travel to PA? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Is there any particular reason you want to go to Temple? Since you got into ND, I would assume you are a resident in or around the area. Temple is a good school in a somewhat rough neighborhood. But any big city would have these types of places and its easy to adapt through common sense. The students there all seemed very happy and the facilities are pretty nice. And the clinical experiences offered there would be much more diverse and unique than what u will see in ND or Creighton. I personally had a bad interview experience there, but it was more because of my interviewer and the fact that I got to Philly 35 minutes before my scheduled interview due to flight cancellations and re-routing. My opinion would be to not go to the interivew unless you have a particular reason for wanting to move to PA or do work in a more urban setting. Just my two cents. Temple is a great school, but my interviewer gave me a bad impression, that's all.

kwc1979

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
nicole20 said:

Thanks.

Great question! I am in a similar boat (without the acceptances but with interviews at pretty good schools outstanding) and don't want to spend the money to fly out to the east coast yet again. But from the looks of US News and World Report, Temple offers interviews to a very low percentage of the applicant pool. Because of that, I feel like I should go and check out it. I would love to hear from someone who already has....Thanks!

yessir

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Status
Be aware that according to the admissions people at Temple they are only interviewing for waitlist at this point

stinkycheese

Stinky and Cheesy
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
Status
Uegis said:
Is there any particular reason you want to go to Temple? Since you got into ND, I would assume you are a resident in or around the area. Temple is a good school in a somewhat rough neighborhood. But any big city would have these types of places and its easy to adapt through common sense. The students there all seemed very happy and the facilities are pretty nice. And the clinical experiences offered there would be much more diverse and unique than what u will see in ND or Creighton. I personally had a bad interview experience there, but it was more because of my interviewer and the fact that I got to Philly 35 minutes before my scheduled interview due to flight cancellations and re-routing. My opinion would be to not go to the interivew unless you have a particular reason for wanting to move to PA or do work in a more urban setting. Just my two cents. Temple is a great school, but my interviewer gave me a bad impression, that's all.
I agree. My interviewer was a total bitch and the 20-mins of actual interview time were not worth the cost of visiting Temple, which I was not at all impressed with.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I find it weird that they schedule only one thirty-minute interview.

shawty ya'head

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2004
Status
i had a horrible interview.
dr. permut sucks huge ass.

but the school was ok.

aar239

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2005
NY
Status
shawty ya'head said:
i had a horrible interview.
dr. permut sucks huge ass.

but the school was ok.
I had Dr. Permut too and he was horrible!!! He kept asking me why I would want to be a doctor since there are so many malpratice suits. I though the interview went horrible but I was still accepted, so u never know with these things.

Nittany Lion

ROAR!!!!!!!!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2004
Status
aar239 said:
I had Dr. Permut too and he was horrible!!! He kept asking me why I would want to be a doctor since there are so many malpratice suits. I though the interview went horrible but I was still accepted, so u never know with these things.
Wow. I guess I got lucky. When I visited Temple back in November, my interviewer was absolutely the nicest, sweetest person I had met at any medical school (out of 4 total schools). He was very kind and respectful, made me feel totally comfortable, didn't ask any condescending questions, and went on and on about how great Temple is and why I should go there (and believe me, it's not like I'm some superstar with amazing stats or anything). I wasn't crazy about the school at first until I had my interview, and that experience alone was enough to make me hold my place in the class and seriously consider going when I got accepted. By the way, his name is Dr. Fayez Safadi :)

As I mentioned, there are some downsides to Temple: crappy area (as was pointed out by others, although this isn't really the end of the world) - this mostly just sucks because no students live right around the school and everyone has to pretty much bus it in to go to class and all. Also I thought the Financial Aid Guy (who gave us a little financial aid talk on interview day) was kind of jerky, but oh well.

All in all, I do agree with the people who said don't come unless you really think you would want to attend the school. I almost didn't go because I had already been accepted to another school by that point, one that I thought I would rather go to over Temple, but I decided to attend the Temple interview anyway to get some more interview practice. Also, I was lucky enough not to have to spend a lot of money travelling since I'm already from PA, so I don't really know what it's like to have to drop a few hundred buckaroos on plane tickets/hotels for a school you only have lukewarm feelings about. Anyway, just go with your gut feeling...good luck!

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2002
Status
My experience was very much like Nittany Lion's. I didn't think much of the place until I got there. The people were great, the curriculum/clinical years seemed good, and I generally got an overall good impression of the place. Plus my interviewer was great and really just wanted to learn more about me and sell me on why Temple is a great place.

That being said, go only if you can see yourself in an urban setting. This is especially the case with Temple, which is close to the center of the city and in a rough neighborhood - can't get much more urban than that. Even USC feels like its in a nice neighborhood in comparison. So if you like that sort of thing, great, cause its perfect for us city-types. If you're a country/suburban-type, don't go anywhere near it. Good luck.

mwcourtney

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2004
Status
I, like Nittany Lion, interviewed with Dr. Safadi. He was by far the nicest interviewer I have had, and I have interviewed at 9 schools. Also, he shed such a good light on Temple that it is my top choice among the schools I have been accepted to, and I have been accepted to 2 other schools. It was a great experience. It seemed like the people were very down to Earth, which was great. Some of the other schools i have been to, it felt like everyone thought so highly of themselves that it turned me off to the school.