Anyone have experience with MIDWESTERN MA POST-BACC program - does it help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent1011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with Midwestern University, Downers Grove Campus' Post Bacc options.

After rejection they send you an email about an application opportunity‏ where they will transfer your app to MA in Biomedical Sciences, MS in Biomedical Sciences or Clinical Psychology.

I am just wondering if these programs help your chances to get into dental school any more than any other regular post-bacc program would?

is it like a pre-dental program?

would it be worth it?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

With your stats, you really don't need to do a post-bacc. However, a 1yr MA program may be good to get your foot in the door if you have the budget for it. The MWU-IL's MA program will be taking its first class this fall.

With your stats, you really don't need to do a post-bacc. However, a 1yr MA program may be good to get your foot in the door if you have the budget for it. The MWU-IL's MA program will be taking its first class this fall.

I had no luck getting in this year and i know I need to improve my stats
I'm just wondering if this program give any extra advantage
if there is a link with this program with midwestern's dental school?

if anyone has had any experience with it or know anything...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wondering if this program give any extra advantage
if there is a link with this program with midwestern's dental school?

I'm sure that if you successfully completed the master's program with great grades there would be an advantage to your application. However, I don't know whether they have a linkage. Why don't you call them and ask? They should be able to tell you for sure.

Also, what do you mean "more than any other regular post bacc?" Post bacc programs are completely different than specialized master's programs. Post bacc programs tend to be for people who haven't had their prereqs yet (like career changers or people who graduated and then decided they wanted to do a medical profession after) whereas specialized master's programs are for people who want to beef up their stats but have completed their prereqs.

I'll tell you right now. Midwestern AZ's MA program was the ONLY reason I got into MWU-IL Dental School. I studied very hard and did very well in the Masters program though. I also got very strong LORs and I believe I interviewed well at MWU-IL which lead to my acceptance. PM me with any further questions.

Not always true. There are different types of post-bac programs - there's career changers and there are academic enhancers. It just takes a lot of research to find out which programs are what. I'm applying to both master's programs and academic enhancing post-bac programs and it all just depends on what's the best fit for you.

Hmmm, care to share which post bacc programs are academic enhancers? I'm curious, because I've looked into it and what I've written above is what I found. I did find a post bacc program at UPenn that's for academic enhancers, but that's all I ended up finding in that area.

Do you guys' recommend completing a masters program and then applying to dental school?

I will be graduating in June with my bachelors degree and plan to reapply to dental school. My main question is that is there any value of me being enrolled in masters program while i am applying/interviewing Or does only a completed masters program enhance your academic standing?\

Kalman921 - What I need is "records enhancer" post bac, but if I was not acepted there, can I go to a "career changer" one ? If I do well there, does it help me a lot ?

Sure. I stopped applying because I just got accepted to an SMP, but academic enhancing post bac programs I applied to were UCONN (Program B), George Mason, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine, and Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine. I was in the process of applying to The Commonwealth University (I think it's a new med school) and Touro NY but I decided not to finish them. Other ones I know off hand are Virginia Commonwealth University, Toledo, University of South Florida, Tulane, and Drexel University. I know there are way more but I'm in the midwest and didn't want to travel too far away.

I found a lot of them through the AMCAS website (they have a list of most of the post-bac programs http://services.aamc.org/postbac/index.cfm ) and I also own the 2010 ed. of the Princeton Review "The Best 168 Medicals Schools" which has a list of post-bac programs in the back. Don't get me wrong, I defintely did a lot of sifting and I feel like there are more career-changer programs than academic enhancers, but they are definitely out there! :)

Thanks so much! I don't know how I missed some of these! :eek:

Congrats on the SMP! Where are you off to?

If I were you I would be asking why there are people who get in with those stats and you did not. Doing well in a masters will never hurt you - but was that the reason you were rejected?

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with Midwestern University, Downers Grove Campus' Post Bacc options.

After rejection they send you an email about an application opportunity‏ where they will transfer your app to MA in Biomedical Sciences, MS in Biomedical Sciences or Clinical Psychology.

I am just wondering if these programs help your chances to get into dental school any more than any other regular post-bacc program would?

is it like a pre-dental program?

would it be worth it?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

EDIT: pretty much, is there a LINK with this post bacc and midwestern's dental school

Atoothdoc: I'm definitely no expert on this lol, but the career changer programs basically have different curriculums than academic enhancers. A lot of academic enhancers have upper level classes (anatomy, biochem, physiology, etc.) and the career changer ones are undergraduate science prerequisites (gen chem, organic chem, physics, bio) which sometimes have professional exam review courses included. So if you did poorly in a lot of the undergrad classes, I would say you could do a career changer, but if you did fine in them I'd say doing a career changer program is a waste of time and money - and we all know that we will be spending more than enough money! :( :thumbdown:

Kalman - Also, Admcoms will see what ourses you took, upper courses or intro ones, so better taking hard one to proof yourself if I can handle them. THanks !:laugh:

im trying to get into a school in texas, and the only masters/post bacc i know is the one at baylor, but that is for disadvantaged URM

anyone know any others which have a high rate of feeding into texas shools?

xaznxcountx, I am very interested in your Midwester, AZ MA experience. I am wondering if I should apply there right now? I am married with four kids, and I dont want to have undergrad all over again with long hour of study, always worried about getting A's but this time it would be in MASTERS level courses, which I assume its much harder getting the A's? What is your experience like? How hard are the courses? Was it worth all the hard work etc? Thanks
III Kids

I'll tell you right now. Midwestern AZ's MA program was the ONLY reason I got into MWU-IL Dental School. I studied very hard and did very well in the Masters program though. I also got very strong LORs and I believe I interviewed well at MWU-IL which lead to my acceptance. PM me with any further questions.
You don't think it had to do with having someone to pay the outrageous tuition prices that they are going to charge!? :scared::scared::scared:

You don't think it had to do with having someone to pay the outrageous tuition prices that they are going to charge!? :scared::scared::scared:

Even if it did, there was a reason they picked him...Im quite sure there were more applicants than spots:idea:

Even if it did, there was a reason they picked him...Im quite sure there were more applicants than spots:idea:
Thank you for stating the obvious. Some school have to select applicants who they know will attend considering the tuition prices. I'm sure not all those applicants would actually attend. Some need to consider that 400k in debt may be a passive pit in your professional and family goals!

"I got accepted into VCOM's postbac program this afternoon ' kalman921 Congratulations !!!!

I want to apply for that same one next year,ca nyoui tell me how competitive it is to get in special master's at VCU?