Anyone have experience with Technical Colleges?

Started by mccordt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mccordt

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I know this topic is brought up ad nauseum, but after searching the site quite extensively, I have not found any posts directly relating to a Technical College. I'm beginning my pre-req course and plan to complete them over the next two years.

I'm currently enrolled at Savannah Technical College and am taking a medical terminology course (couldn't get into any science courses this summer). I know that community colleges are generally acceptable for pre med pre reqs, though state university's are preferred. Are technical colleges any different from community colleges in this regard? I am somewhat concerned by their grading scale, which is something I haven't seen in the past: 100-90 is an A, 89-80 is a B, and so on. They do not have anything in between (A-, B-, C-, D-). Has anyone seen this before? Obviously, this makes it easier to get a high GPA, but how will this be looked at by ADCOMs?

Looking towards the fall, I have the option of attending Savannah State University or Armstrong State University. I am working full-time and Savannah Tech seems to offer more night courses. There is also the issue of the price difference.

Any advice moving forward? Thank you!
 
I haven't, but two notes based on my experience:
1) the grading scale does not make it easier to get a high GPA imo. No 0.5s (or 0.3?) to boost you if you get that 88%. The aamc grade conversion guide has that system (and many, many more) which you can find with a Google search.
2) I took the added expense of a particular college because I knew I intended to take a few classes there and thought id be better situated to make connections and gently "get my way" (as a continuing Ed student, I had limitations they understood and accommodated via enrollment petitions, etc). If I had more than 3-4 classes I probably would have investigated the cheaper option, but sometimes the expense allows options (and no internal worries of CC acceptancr, etc).