Anyone have experience with tricycles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So, I can't ride a bike. I tried to learn when I was a kid, I tried to learn when I was in high school, I tried to learn when I was in college, no dice. Perhaps someday I will learn, but it ain't gonna happen before I start vet school.

Hence, I have decided to acquire a tricycle. I tried a couple out today at a bike shop, and I'm not sure how to tell what kind will be best for me. Does anyone have experience with trikes, or have any general advice to give me?

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i can't help but i just want to say.....

OMG i thought i was the only one who couldn't ride a bike!!!

I've been slowly learning with a friend of mine though, not as hard as ya think. Good luck!

Not a trike user, but I'm an avid mountain biker.

I would guess that it depends what you're going to use it for. Cruise the beach? Fitness? Attracting mates?

Find one that is lightweight. Don't base your decision on the way the seat feels, those are easily changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
you ever think of getting training wheels? baby steps :)

This doesn't help with your question, but I just got around to reading yesterday's front page this morning and one of the front-page stories was on adult cycling lessons.
Uneasy riders: Adults trying to get steady on 2 wheels

(also, as a side note, this was actually a pain in the butt to find online because the headline is different from the print version. kind of curious as to why that happens.)

Thanks for the replies!

I've tried learning with many different people, with training wheels, with all kinds of bikes, it just isn't going to happen before school.

I'm looking for a trike so I can ride to school, rather than driving. I'm close to campus - it's a 40 minute walk from my house to the main lecture building at the vet school, and the bike route is a bit shorter than the walking route I take. So, it just has to be something that will get me there, with a basket that is big and sturdy enough to carry my backpack and other stuff.

If you're under a mile from the school, you could consider a kick scooter. The KnowPed is a sturdy one.

http://www.goped.com/products/knowped/

You can usually find them used on Craigslist too. Scooters fold up and are easier to store than a trike. A good backpack or messenger bag would be fine for scooting.

Just another thought :)

I have ridden a trike before. They are actually really great. Check out TerraTrike if you are interested in getting more info. They make some cool trikes. Hope this was helpful.