Anyone have info on Houston Methodist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yourboyblue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it is a new program but my roommate is applying this cycle and was wondering if anyone on here had input on this program because he is interested in Houston as a location. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Consensus from everyone I talked to about the program seemed to be that it has a vast amount of potential. Some of the best facilities I saw on the trail, excited PD, and the Texas Medical Center has every resource you could ever need. Some students were weary about it being new, but everyone seemed to think it will be a very strong and reputable program in 5-10 years. So I think it's a much safer bet compared to your average brand new radiology residency. And for what it's worth, I had them ranked very high with step scores 240+ and 255+ and did not match.

Last edited:
Consensus from everyone I talked to about the program seemed to be that it has a vast amount of potential. Some of the best facilities I saw on the trail, excited PD, and the Texas Medical Center has every resource you could ever need. Some students were weary about it being new, but everyone seemed to think it will be a very strong and reputable program in 5-10 years. So I think it's a much safer bet compared to your average brand new radiology residency. And for what it's worth, I had them ranked very high with step scores 240+ and 255+ and did not match.

You just didn't match into their program or you didn't match at all? If it's the latter, that's very surprising with your excellent Step scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should have phrased that better, I matched at a great program that I’m very happy with. But I did drop below Methodist

Thank you for all the insight. It must already be pretty highly sought after if that is the case.

Huh, I'm out of the loop, I had no idea about this. Back when I interviewed a few years ago, I interviewed at UT Houston and Baylor Houston and liked them both a lot.

What does this mean for their residencies and volume? Wasn't Baylor the one affiliated with Methodist?

I interviewed there two years ago, the first year they were interviewing. I remember thinking that they had tons of potential and that it would probably be a solid place to train... in a few years... massive resources and staff with great connections for fellowship/jobs. Obviously it is a new program and has the same problems that all new programs deal with but i do think they will eventually be a solid training program. tough to figure out when exactly when they will actually fulfill their potential though.

Huh, I'm out of the loop, I had no idea about this. Back when I interviewed a few years ago, I interviewed at UT Houston and Baylor Houston and liked them both a lot.

What does this mean for their residencies and volume? Wasn't Baylor the one affiliated with Methodist?

It's actually a really complex interaction between the training institutions. We (UT Houston) have specialties that rotate with them (Anesthesia), and they come to us for their Trauma Surgery experience.

It's not going to effect the volume. There's not going to be any change to how the patients present to hospitals.

IMO, we should have two residents staffing the ER/inpatient side at Hermann every night, so if they'd like to get some overnight trauma experience.......

So Methodist and Baylor split in like 2004 and Baylor still rotated there for a bit but they have completely stopped as of several years ago. Baylor and UT are still very high volume residencies. But since the split Methodist decided to start its own radiology program 2 years ago so its first class is starting this July.

So Methodist and Baylor split in like 2004 and Baylor still rotated there for a bit but they have completely stopped as of several years ago. Baylor and UT are still very high volume residencies. But since the split Methodist decided to start its own radiology program 2 years ago so its first class is starting this July.

Oh lol, I guess I didn’t pay good attention on my interview. The affiliations with different hospitals between UTH and Baylor was a bit of a blur.

Hopefully the Methodist program does well, it would likely only help the competitiveness and prestige factor of the other Houston rads residencies.

For any future students reading this, highly recommend applying to and interviewing at the Houston programs.