Anyone have insight into smaller Florida programs like CC or Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otherstuff12321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience or insight into the smaller programs in Florida like Cleveland Clinic Weston or Mayo Clinic Jacksonville?

Members don't see this ad.

I think mayo Florida is much better from what I hear but I have no data

Mayo is a great program that is well established (Peds rotation at wolfs children hospital, OB at UF JAX), large transplant center with plenty of boutique/specility surgeries.

CC fl is relatively new.

Look into UF Jax , well rounded program with good teaching faculty. Rotations at mayo Jax for transplant and neuro. wolfsons children hospital for Peds. Every wednesday nonclinical academic day (same for mayo). night float system for call, thus not scheduled on weekends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo Clinic is the premier hospital in the entire state in terms of cash flow and profitability. They have the best payor mix. The residency is fairly easy and Cush by typical standards. Some of the graduates are not well prepared for high acuity cases and trauma in the real world. If your goal is to match at A very easy program with immense resources and ancillary staff with plenty of crnas then you found your program.

UF Jax is located in the inner city/hood. Tons of trauma and high acuity cases. Very poor payor mix with most patients uninsured or Medicaid. Limited ancillary staff and services. The resident schedule is reasonable but not as Cush as Mayo Jax. The hospital itself is almost the inverse of Mayo. UF does have a smaller facility near the airport which is new but still nowhere near Mayo’s level.

Cleveland Clinic Florida is a decent program but fairly new. I know less about CC Florida than the others.

They do lack trauma, but have the option to do it at UF JAX as an elective rotation. But regarding MTP protocols etc, they do ALOT of liver transplants during their training, so I wouldn't say they are not well prepared, but maybe unfamiliar. I found their residents are very smart, hard working and proficient in clinical anesthesia.

Superb program. Not perfect by any means but it got me where I wanted to go. Jax is a fun town and the hospital is 10minutes from the beach. Highly highly recommend

Mayo lacks trauma but agree, tons of transplant so you know how to quickly line and stabilize a patient. Also a good variety of cases- carcinoid tumor and mediastinal mass removals were not uncommon. Hours probably are cush by most standards. Some of the older attendings are grouchy and have little interest in teaching, but the younger/newer attendings are good teachers.
But honestly, living by the beach is the best part.

CCF Florida is better than CCF main just by virtue of not being in Cleveland

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Mayo lacks trauma but agree, tons of transplant so you know how to quickly line and stabilize a patient. Also a good variety of cases- carcinoid tumor and mediastinal mass removals were not uncommon. Hours probably are cush by most standards. Some of the older attendings are grouchy and have little interest in teaching, but the younger/newer attendings are good teachers.
But honestly, living by the beach is the best part.
Medical students who pick a residency program based on being near the beach need to rethink their priorities. A program should be picked based on the quality of training it offers first then you can consider cost of living and location. This explains why Hopkins is still a top 10 program vs Miami. Or, why Mayo Clinic Rochester is significantly better than Mayo Florida in terms of national rankings.

I like Mayo Clinic but the Florida location isn’t a top tier program by any measure. That said, it’s a cushy program and if you Match there I’m sure you will be able to find a job or fellowship post residency.

Reactions: 1 users
That said, it’s a cushy program and if you Match there I’m sure you will be able to find a job or fellowship post residency.

I agree with the sentiment to get the best training one can, but in this market even the residents finishing their training at the finest HCA anesthesia residency in Bumfck, Nowhere are getting $275-300/hr jobs afterwards.

Medical students who pick a residency program based on being near the beach need to rethink their priorities. A program should be picked based on the quality of training it offers first then you can consider cost of living and location. This explains why Hopkins is still a top 10 program vs Miami. Or, why Mayo Clinic Rochester is significantly better than Mayo Florida in terms of national rankings.

I like Mayo Clinic but the Florida location isn’t a top tier program by any measure. That said, it’s a cushy program and if you Match there I’m sure you will be able to find a job or fellowship post residency.
Spoken like someone who didn’t do a residency by the beach (j/k)

It is a good program for who are self motivated. It’s true that you can coast if you want to. The resources as you’ve mentioned and Mayo name can be very helpful though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know anything about HCA programs in FL? Like Kendall regional or the one in Ocala?
Like Vector said anyone finishing those HCA programs can get a job in 2023 or 2024. The job market is wide open. But, these community programs tend to attract lower ranked medical students in terms of Step Scores, medical schools, etc. So, I would comment that most HCA programs tend to be lower tier programs but ones in which every spot will still be filled by an applicant. If your Step Scores are very marginal based on the match statistics those are programs you should be applying to Match.

Anyone know anything about HCA programs in FL? Like Kendall regional or the one in Ocala?

As someone who works at a facility that provides education for one of these programs I can tell you the staff do their best to provide a good education but it is still nothing near going to a major academic center.

Reactions: 1 user