Anyone have some info about the Utah path program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EC3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how difficult it is to land a spot there? What about people within the program, are the residensts/faculty more likely american or FMG? Anyone do a rotation there and have some feedback?

Thanks for all the help you guys have been!

Members don't see this ad.

nobody knows anything about utah? :scared:

nobody knows anything about utah? :scared:

Its adjacent to my home state, Nevada. Its conservative. Its relatively cheap to live. There are alot of LDS. It snows. The resorts near Park City are supposedly teh ****. Zion Natl park is awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no. I waited ONE WHOLE DAY!

I assume you already read their website? (which is surprising sparse on details about the program)

Sorry don't know much about them. Never heard anything bad, and they host webpath so thats good..

I finished the program a few years ago, so I'll chime in here.

Most of the residents are US graduates. 2000 was the only year in the past 25 that the program didn't fill. That year, two FMGs were accepted into the program (one by scrambling), but they are the only FMGs that I am aware of in the last 10 years or so.

The faculty also mostly consists of US med school graduates. The few foreign graduate faculty members were all excellent.

The program tends to be a little more competitive than average because Utah is a strong draw for some people. There are a wide variety of outdoor recreational opportunities nearby. Med school graduates in Utah are more likely to be married and have children, so some try to stay close to family when they might be competitive at the more elite programs. Mormon applicants from all over the country often have ties in Utah. (Mormons made up about a quarter to a third of the residents in my years, if you care.)

Unfortunately, the cost of living is not as cheap as it used to be. Housing costs are still sky high. It won't be as expensive as NYC, but it isn't as cheap as most Midwest towns.

The training is pretty good. It definitely could be better. Surgical pathology rotations at the University in the 3rd and 4th years didn't really allow residents to take the lead in working up a case, dictating it, and presenting it for corrections at sign-out, so everyone opted for rotations at the community hospitals. These are excellent rotations, but they aren't the caliber of a rotation at a solid academic center. That is a shame because there is plenty of good material at the University.

Residents from Utah get good jobs and fellowships, but I think that is more a reflection of the caliber of residents coming into the program rather than the program making them into stars. I base this on the fact that when I went to Iowa for fellowships, The 3rd and 4th year residents there were more solid in surgical pathology than I was as a 5th year resident. It's my fault, of course, but there are programs (like Iowa) that just won't let residents get away with any half-assed learning. Residents leaving Utah may have to endure more stress in the first year of a job or fellowship, but, like I said, the graduates do really well despite what is probably a slow start.

CP is excellent, but it's CP, right?

I finished the program a few years ago, so I'll chime in here.

Most of the residents are US graduates. 2000 was the only year in the past 25 that the program didn't fill. That year, two FMGs were accepted into the program (one by scrambling), but they are the only FMGs that I am aware of in the last 10 years or so.

The faculty also mostly consists of US med school graduates. The few foreign graduate faculty members were all excellent.

The program tends to be a little more competitive than average because Utah is a strong draw for some people. There are a wide variety of outdoor recreational opportunities nearby. Med school graduates in Utah are more likely to be married and have children, so some try to stay close to family when they might be competitive at the more elite programs. Mormon applicants from all over the country often have ties in Utah. (Mormons made up about a quarter to a third of the residents in my years, if you care.)

Unfortunately, the cost of living is not as cheap as it used to be. Housing costs are still sky high. It won't be as expensive as NYC, but it isn't as cheap as most Midwest towns.

The training is pretty good. It definitely could be better. Surgical pathology rotations at the University in the 3rd and 4th years didn't really allow residents to take the lead in working up a case, dictating it, and presenting it for corrections at sign-out, so everyone opted for rotations at the community hospitals. These are excellent rotations, but they aren't the caliber of a rotation at a solid academic center. That is a shame because there is plenty of good material at the University.

Residents from Utah get good jobs and fellowships, but I think that is more a reflection of the caliber of residents coming into the program rather than the program making them into stars. I base this on the fact that when I went to Iowa for fellowships, The 3rd and 4th year residents there were more solid in surgical pathology than I was as a 5th year resident. It's my fault, of course, but there are programs (like Iowa) that just won't let residents get away with any half-assed learning. Residents leaving Utah may have to endure more stress in the first year of a job or fellowship, but, like I said, the graduates do really well despite what is probably a slow start.

CP is excellent, but it's CP, right?
awesome review, thanks.

do you think doing an away rotation would increase likelihood of matching?

EDIT: Are you also able to tell me how many PGY1 spots there are? Thx.

do you think doing an away rotation would increase likelihood of matching?

I would say yes, unless you are particularly unlikeable, smelly, or stupid. :)

EDIT: Are you also able to tell me how many PGY1 spots there are? Thx.

I think four for AP/CP, but you should be able to find that info somewhere online. They have opened up CP only spots since I finished there, but I think they are rarely filled.

What about my post? :scared:

just giving this a bump...

or anyone have some info about UU's pathology program?

Just trying to get a general feel for the program, any help would be appreciated. Also, does UU's path department realize that their website contains very little helpful information and that it's very difficult to navigate? Is this intentional?

thx.
-e

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing I remember most when I interviewed was that everything was really spread out. There were 4-5 places where you did AP rotations scattered throughout the city, and so you often didn't see a lot of the other residents. I can see that being beneficial (seeing lots of different ways of doing things, learning different methods) or being a drawback (lots of traveling, lack of consistency, etc). CP was pretty centralized as ARUP is a monster.

See other thread. Maybe you should rotate there and get some first hand experience-- it seems like it would be worthwhile seeing as though you are very interested in the program.

I merged the two threads as they are asking the same question. I'm not quite sure what else you are looking for. RyMcQ posted an excellent reply.

I merged the two threads as they are asking the same question. I'm not quite sure what else you are looking for. RyMcQ posted an excellent reply.
I don't think a merge was appropriate but whatever.

I was specifically looking to see if any UU path residents were on here so i could PM them, but I guess that's the same thing as wanting general info. :rolleyes:

Good thing you merged, though, we were starting to really get cluttered on the front page (and yet my original thread from 4 months ago wasn't even on the first page); I'm sure we've also helped the sdn server save some bandwidth.

-e

I was specifically looking to see if any UU path residents were on here so i could PM them

Hmm, interesting......

or anyone have some info about UU's pathology program?

Just trying to get a general feel for the program, any help would be appreciated.

I was specifically looking to see if any UU path residents were on here so i could PM them, but I guess that's the same thing as wanting general info. :rolleyes:

You asked the same question. Your subject was different. If a Utah resident is on here AND they wish to respond, they are not going to be swayed by the fact that you put "residents" in the subject line.

Good thing you merged, though, we were starting to really get cluttered on the front page

It's not about clutter. It's about a thread looking for the same info. And as said in the thread above, the question you asked was answered by a former resident. I actually probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't bumped the old thread.

(and yet my original thread from 4 months ago wasn't even on the first page)

Then bump the old thread first. If someone was on here previously and saw the thread, and didn't want to answer it then, they are unlikely to want to answer it now, nor are they likely to respond to your new thread. Perhaps if you brought a little bit more to the table than just asking blindly for information, people would be more willing to help out. Just a suggestion. We get a lot of posts on these forums that are short, quick, "Any info on program XX thx" which a lot of people are inclined to ignore. You're also posting similar threads, it seems, in the psych forum. And you have previously said your interests lie between radiology and EM.

On a side note though, it would be great if more people would post about programs they know about or that they attend.

I am just trying to get some information, sorry if my two posts, 4 months apart broke some rule.

On a side note though, it would be great if more people would post about programs they know about or that they attend.

in that spirit yaah, would you mind posting some current comments about U Mich (either in this thread or perhaps bump up a prior U Mich thread)? i know you've posted in the past (gracias), but we know things change so i'd certainly like to hear any updated thoughts you have. thanks. :thumbup: