1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone have some info on Penrose?

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by EC3, Apr 11, 2007.

1. EC3

EC3 Member
    5+ Year Member

Strong program? Competitive? etc...

I did a search but everything seemed to be quite old. Thx.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have heard it was a good private program (ie at a non university/med school hospital).

That being said such beasts are extremely rare in pathology. In fact I don't think I can name 3. (William Beamont, Penrose.... ? I don't count CC (CCF) as private)
    So definitely makes the top 10 for private programs, but I don't know if there are 10 programs in its classification. :smuggrin:

4. mlw03

mlw03 Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i know nothing of this particular program, but most faculty i've talked to say to try to get into an academic program if at all possible.

5. docbiohazard

docbiohazard Highly ranked amateur
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Given my interest in academics, I'm definitely trying to get into an academic program, but I've noticed that FRIEDA classifies the programs at Baylor and Methodist in Houston as "Community, University associated" or whatever... whereas UT-Houston is listed as "University-based"

So, I have to admit my ignorance here. I know that Methodist split off from Baylor relatively recently, and I can understand why Methodist would be considered a Community-based program - except they are "associated" with the Weill Cornell medical school up in the north-east... kind of wacky, really.
    I can't understand why Baylor wouldn't be considered a University-based residency, however, given that they have a medical school, graduate school, do a ton of research, etc. :confused: Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

(For those not too familiar with Texas, Baylor University is the Baptist college in Waco. Baylor also has a medical system, with a large medical / graduate school in Houston, and some residencies in Dallas as well...)

6. 106174

106174 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually, Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) in Houston is a product of a group of people falling out of Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. BCM and Baylor Dallas are now completely separate entities with the latter being affiliated with Baylor University in Waco. The Path residency program in Baylor Dallas is community-based but I've heard they have solid AP training and is very good for those who know they will do private practice.

7. docbiohazard

docbiohazard Highly ranked amateur
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    See, even I didn't fully understand the delineation between the various Baylor schools and programs. :)

Still, any idea why the residency at BCM in Houston is considered "Community, University-associated" in FRIEDA? I can understand why anything at Baylor in Dallas would be considered community-based.

BH

8. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The same reason why the Cleveland Clinic is listed as Community Based.
    Because it is technically accurate. As in there is not a medical school/university directly associated with it.

I wouldn't take Fredia classification to mean anything.
    Not for pathology anyways.

9. sleeping beauty

5+ Year Member

many university programs (we thought they are) are listed as university affiliated community programs: Indiana, Brown, MCG... I guess they are operated independent of the universities (finanacially). Univ of Penn has one university based program (HUP) and a community program (Penn Hosp).

10. Gut Shot

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    From Baylor College of Medicine's website:

From Wikipedia's article on Baylor University:

11. Gut Shot

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Perhaps because of the curious fact that Baylor doesn't (yet) own its own hospital. It is affiliated primarily with Ben Taub, the DeBakey VA, Texas Children's and St. Luke's. The private Baylor hospital is scheduled to be completed summer of 2010.

UT-Houston is likely listed as university-based because of Memorial-Hermann, which is its university hospital.

Does affiliation data in FRIEDA matter? Not one iota.

12. 106174

106174 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it is because BCM is really not a university per se. They are just that - the Baylor College of Medicine and Affiliated Hospitals.

As for the Cleveland Clinic, they are a large community-based hospital that is very dedicated to graduate medical education. And they do have a medical school now - the Lerner College of Medicine that is affiliated with CWRU.

13. sleeping beauty

5+ Year Member

BCM affiliated programs are obviously community programs because they are not a part of BCM. they are community hospitals working with BCM!

14. 106174

106174 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am not sure if you were responding to my post but when I said "Affiliated Hospitals," I meant St. Luke's, Texas Children's, Texas Heart, Ben Taub and the VA - all part of the umbrella that is BCM. When I interviewed at Baylor, that was how they called themselves - Baylor College of Medicine and Affiliated Hospitals. The community programs (mainly family practice programs) around Houston may be loosely affiliated with BCM but do not attach the BCM name to theirs.

15. sleeping beauty

5+ Year Member

BCM does not have its own "university programs". that's why they want to build their own. this effort triggered the split of Methodist, which was not BCM's either.

St. Luke's, Texas Children's, Texas Heart, Ben Taub and the VA...all are community programs working with BCM. (community programs within an academic center and with academic activities and service)

The community programs (mainly family practice programs) around Houston loosely affiliated with BCM are also community programs. (community programs emphasize more on service).