anyone have this experience while shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drshark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've noticed that many of the doctor's who i've shadowed, whether it be during my **** volunteering in the ER, or a full on shadowing experience... the doctor's always seem to try and tell me other types of careers make just as much money and don't require as much sacrifice, or they straight up say "you don't want to be a doctor, and have to deal with ..." For example, most recently it happened this week, the Dr suggested if I didn't get in to med school my first time applying, that there is always PA school and they make better money and all this stuff. It's kind of discouraging. I don't really know how to respond because it's pretty clear I don't plan on changing my career choice, but it makes me second guess myself, am I getting myself into something that horrible?

:( Am I just experiencing a bad streak? Anyone else been told these types of things from doctors? I feel like they all just keep warning me against some horrible experience that is about to come.

YES! Its kind of funny each time because I can't tell if they are testing my resolve, warning me, or lamenting their own decisions.

But, I have also had a good amount of doctors exude confidence in the satisfaction of the profession, so I think if you manage your expectations then you'll be fine.

It might also help to be as competitive as possible so you can get into the residency program you like...

I work with NPs/PAs frequently. Several tell me to either go all the way and be a doctor or look for a career outside medicine. Several doctors I work with tell me PA or a career outside medicine. People I talk to outside medicine say they should have followed through with going to medical school, their profession blows (because at one point everyone wanted to be a doctor, at least so it seems).

The PAs/NPs that accept their job for what it is, love it.
The Docs that accept their job for what it is, love it.
Same for everyone else. The grass is always greener.
There is no widely respected job anymore. Think about it, maybe 65% of the country will **** on the president at any given time no matter who he is or what party he is. Bill Gates, what a guy right? Yet so many people still find ways to call him out. And it blows to not be respected when you think you should, everyone that does a good job no matter what job they do deserves respect.

Do what will make you happy and what you think you'll be good at. You'll have bad days where you think your job was a terrible choice and great days where you couldn't imagine doing anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work with NPs/PAs frequently. Several tell me to either go all the way and be a doctor or look for a career outside medicine. Several doctors I work with tell me PA or a career outside medicine. People I talk to outside medicine say they should have followed through with going to medical school, their profession blows (because at one point everyone wanted to be a doctor, at least so it seems).

There is no widely respected job anymore. Think about it, maybe 65% of the country will **** on the president at any given time no matter who he is or what party he is. Bill Gates, what a guy right? Yet so many people still find ways to call him out. And it blows to not be respected when you think you should, everyone that does a good job no matter what job they do deserves respect.

Do what will make you happy and what you think you'll be good at. You'll have bad days where you think your job was a terrible choice and great days where you couldn't imagine doing anything else.

This is an absolutely brilliant post and I agree 100%.

And, OP, here's an inspiring anecdote for you: of the ~20 emergency physicians I work with, the vast majority of them love what they do and say they'd do the same thing all over again if given the chance.

Don't let the sour grapes let you down.

THIS. I have never had this experience personally.

I'll bet it's all three. I have several MD and DO colleagues who lament how Medicine has changed since they've left medical school.

YES! Its kind of funny each time because I can't tell if they are testing my resolve, warning me, or lamenting their own decisions.

But, I have also had a good amount of doctors exude confidence in the satisfaction of the profession, so I think if you manage your expectations then you'll be fine.

It might also help to be as competitive as possible so you can get into the residency program you like...

Grass always looks greener on the other side

Last edited:
I'll bet it's all three. I have several MD and DO colleagues who lament how Medicine has changed since they've left medical school.

Im sure you're right. I feel like medicine will continue changing too, so hopefully we are all prepared for it.

I've noticed that many of the doctor's who i've shadowed, whether it be during my shift volunteering in the ER, or a full on shadowing experience... the doctor's always seem to try and tell me other types of careers make just as much money and don't require as much sacrifice, or they straight up say "you don't want to be a doctor, and have to deal with ..." For example, most recently it happened this week, the Dr suggested if I didn't get in to med school my first time applying, that there is always PA school and they make better money and all this stuff. It's kind of discouraging. I don't really know how to respond because it's pretty clear I don't plan on changing my career choice, but it makes me second guess myself, am I getting myself into something that horrible?

:( Am I just experiencing a bad streak? Anyone else been told these types of things from doctors? I feel like they all just keep warning me against some horrible experience that is about to come.

Shadowed 5 doctors and all 5 loved (or appeard to) their job.

Keep in mind most doctors compared to other professions dont have a clue about anything outside of healthcare.

Grass always looks greener on the other side

I'd say every private practice physician has some clue about business. Every hospitalist has a clue about politics.

Happiest doctors I have ever encountered - rheumatologists. Even happier - those with MPH/MSc degrees who split their time between clinic and research. :)

For every doctor who complains and tries to talk you out of medicine there is one who feels fulfilled and happy with their decision to become a physician. Take it with a grain of salt.

For every doctor who complains and tries to talk you out of medicine there is one who feels fulfilled and happy with their decision to become a physician. Take it with a grain of salt.
For me, I have encountered physicians that absolutely love their profession, providing excellent care for patients and have also encountered those that despise their jobs. However, with changes to the pace of their work environment this oftentimes becomes better (I've been around long enough to run into docs that are working at a slower ER now, etc).

OP, I think you are starting to find out the harsh reality of entering medicine, the obscene amount of loans that you will take out, and the upcoming issues that we will be facing in healthcare during our careers. I am a huge fan of those that sincerely want to go into medicine for the sake of going into medicine. However, if someone is going in it for the money you will do better if you choose another career now. We cannot guarantee that once medicine takes a turn for socialized medicine that physician reimbursement/pay will be even close to where it is now. I think the latter is why you have encountered some physicians advising you to cautiously make the decision to enter medicine as a career instead of choosing another career.

This is one of my gripes with medicine. There is a good number of people who want to be doctors just to be doctors. Or those who decide they need to be something important in life and like the idea of having a stethoscope and a white coat.

I have had a similar experience: I know an interventional radiologist who is an incredible doctor. He scored 99th percentile on his boards (don't know which step, but I think that's impressive regardless). I've talked to him here and there about medicine and always noticed he was happy once the subject changed. Then, at a party he was drunk and it all came out. He kept poking me in the chest (almost hurt) and telling me I NEED to get my PharmD, forget being a doctor. "They make just as much as a primary care doc and you don't have to put up with the world's ****!"... It was awkward.

This will inevitably happen more and I'm fine with that. As I'm sure you are, I'm in it for more than money, status or parental pressure. Just don't let it shake you and take pride in the fact that you're not any of those docs.

Last edited:
I work at a hospital.....you'd be surprised at the level of ignorance...they also loooove Fox News......however, some of them do know how to manage their personal finances well....always weird seeing Bentleys parked next to Camrys in the physician lot

The physicians who properly manage themselves or have political power at the hospital will tell you to be doc.....

Well you have your orthopods, then you have your FM docs, then you have your residents :)

Happiest doctors I have ever encountered - rheumatologists. Even happier - those with MPH/MSc degrees who split their time between clinic and research. :)

I shadowed a rheum who seemed pretty happy.