Anyone having second thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYgirl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was all ready to go to Sackler last week, but after the bombing in Tel Aviv, I am having second thoughts.

Is anyone else????

thanks,
NYgirl

Members don't see this ad.

You're in a big dilemma there, NYgirl!!!!

Is that the only reason you're thinking twice about going.... Not to say that's not a big thing.... You're life would be at stake if something like that happened.

Do you have other options if you don't go? You have to consider that as well...

Good Luck in your decision... :(

Why not the Caribbean, there are some really good schools down there. I am from SABA. But there are other school that could meet your needs...something to think about?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a tough one. The best thing to do is, if you go, to stay in weekly contact with the U.S. State Department/nearest Embassy. They issue advisories to Americans living abroad, and will sometimes reccomend Americans TO LEAVE when things get too out of hand. I tend to think the school will perrmit a leave of absence for a semester should this occur. Maybe try and do as many of your clinicals in the school's NY affiliates as you can.

Here's something else that came into mind, NYgirl....

If you're thinking twice about going.... then how is that going to affect your medical school performance? With the added stress of school and that you're fearing for your life, then.... I just don't think that's a good combination....Don't you?

So do you have other plans if this one doesn't follow through? or you just have no choice and you'd just have to go and you just want to find reassurance that you'll be fine?

I hope you find some type of decision.... But I do like Stephen's suggestion if you have no other choice but to go to school there. Well, good luck as always....

sounds like a tough situation! i am in school in europe myself, and i do have some advice...i was choosing between carib and euro (as i think you are..st george and sackler, right?) and i choose euro. i basically wanted to live in a city and get more out of my school years than living on some dinky island would allow, and i was willing to trade a few years for that sacrifice. it boils down to this. europe is far frome home and a bigger longer commitment to staying away. i don't know about sackler, but my school has its own hospitals and we are expected to do some of our clinical work here, and my program is six years. so, we don't get back home as quickly...if you are not totally prepared to travel so far away, i would go to st greorges. the students that were not in love with coming to europe ALL do poorly. there are some great schools in the carib, and st georges places a lot of students in excellent residency programs. plus, you are a bit closer to home and generally back in the states in 2 years. just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

by the way, don't forget that your decision is a choice between two great options. you win either way! so, congratulations!

Neil,

When you applied to medical school, did you consider going to a DO school? I have to make a choice right now between NYCOM and SGU. It has been very hard to make this choice, and unfortunately I have been postponing the decision for a long time now.
So if you have any feedback or any advice for me I would strongly appreciate it.

Thanx
Alex

i did not consider DO school, but only because I was not even competetive enough. basically, a DO degree will make your life much easier. no international stigma, better chance of getting the residency of your choice, etc. i actually like the fact that DO's have the same training as MD's plus the osteopathic side. unless you have a real problem with getting a DO, i think you will be better off staying in the US. if you don't mind my asking, is there a reason you are against DO school?

amayer24,

Are you debating over SGU and NYCOM because of the MD/DO thing? Applying to an osteopathic school, you should have figured that one out already....

May I suggest going for the DO route (with the support of neil's arguments).

I wonder though, why it's such a hard choice for you? is it the degree after your name that's getting you stumpped?!

Good luck, :cool:

Unfortunately, the decision on whether to go is in your hands, and yours alone. I agree with neil, if you aren't in love with the idea of being there look at other options. If you worry all the time it will take away from your studies. You should feel honoured to be accepted to Sackler, they are pretty competitive. The Isreali education is excellent, you definitely will have great instruction. If you can get accepted to Sackler, there is no doubt that you should be able to get accepted to another school (europe, possibly even DO). Isreal is a beautiful country with lots of history, too bad there is all that fighting right now. Tel Aviv is relatively safe and that bombing the other day shocked me because if you look where the violence has been it hasn't been in that area. Call the embassy and ask them how safe they feel Tel Aviv is right now and where most of the fighting is. That will let you know where to stay and where not to go. Sort of like staying out of bad neighborhoods in the States.
Good luck with what ever you decide. Look at your options... Can you defer your acceptance a year. Maybe in a year the peace will resume and you will feel safer.

I Just read your post and thought about the same situation that I was in when i was appling to medical School

I was also deciding between SGU and NYCOM
I chose nycom and to this day I feel I made the rght choice I made some great friends met some bright individuals the education is excellent and i was impressed by the whole expreience it was Somthing new and (living in the carribean took some getting Used to
if you have any questions about SGU you can email me

In fact i met some one who was in NYCOM and transferred out to attend SGU.. So somthing to think about. If you sought out to become an MD Then become one why compromkse on your profession. It will be one of the most important part of your life

When you applied to medical school, did you consider going to a DO school? I have to make a choice right now between NYCOM and SGU. It has been very hard to make this choice, and unfortunately I have been postponing the decision for a long time now.
So if you have any feedback or any advice for me I would strongly appreciate it.

Thanx
Alex[/QB][/QUOTE]

I really don't understand. There are a large number of US applicants each year going to UAG and Sackler (which is, of course, up to US standards), most of them very competitive. They are not only relocating to different cultures, but different languages as well. What I don't understand is why those same number of people do not seek admission in the two private Puerto Rican schools. I can see many do. But not as many as those who go to the schools I mentioned above. After all, they would still be within a US jurisdiction, with a comparable living standard and have a US education without ever having to jump the ECFMG hoops.
???

The two puerto rican schools accept only spanish speaking US applicants. I think this is one of the reasons that people are reluctant to attempt getting in. I applied to both last year, both secondaries came back entirely in spanish. You get my point.

Originally posted by Ron12:
•I really don't understand. There are a large number of US applicants each year going to UAG and Sackler (which is, of course, up to US standards), most of them very competitive. They are not only relocating to different cultures, but different languages as well. What I don't understand is why those same number of people do not seek admission in the two private Puerto Rican schools. I can see many do. But not as many as those who go to the schools I mentioned above. After all, they would still be within a US jurisdiction, with a comparable living standard and have a US education without ever having to jump the ECFMG hoops.
???•

mydoctormd,

I am sorry but I didn't quiet understand from your post of whether you decided to attend NYCOM or SGU? You state you chose NYCOM but go off speaking about your experience at SGU.

Thank you
Alex :)