Anyone hear back from UIC (post-interview)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucbdancn00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...

has anyone heard from UIC post-interview that interviewed between Nov. 4th- Nov. 8th? Just getting anxious......

This whole process has made me realize how impatient i really am. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the skinny:

The Nov. Cmte. met on the 21st of November. Their decisions were mailed out that day or Saturday. If I remember correctly they said that my interview day and the one before mine (yours I'm assuming) would be discussed on the 21st.

I received my acceptance letter from them on Saturday (the letter had to move a whole 15 miles). I suspect that your letter should be on its way and arriving in short order. They said to call them if you don't have it by the end of this week. Hope this help!!!

hey thanks alot!!

i called them, but they woudln't tell me anything :(...

but they did say the same stuff that you had. I appreciate your help and CONGRATS ON GETTING IN!!!

:clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ucbdancn00
hey guys...

has anyone heard from UIC post-interview that interviewed between Nov. 4th- Nov. 8th? Just getting anxious......

This whole process has made me realize how impatient i really am. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is this.

If you have not received an email telling you that they have not yet decided on whether to accept you at this time, consider yourself in. People that do not get accepted after the interview still have a shot at getting in but all receive this notorious e-mail.

Acceptances have just been received by people in the Chicago area saturday and today. Since you're out in California I'd expect that you will hear wednesday at the earliest but most likely next week b/c of the Thanksgiving holiday.

hey guys..

thanks for the quick/great responses.

I HAVE NOT received any emails from UIC since the 21st of November when the committee; would they have sent them at that time saying that people are waitlisted?

useless ass mail....:)

Originally posted by ucbdancn00
hey guys..

thanks for the quick/great responses.

I HAVE NOT received any emails from UIC since the 21st of November when the committee; would they have sent them at that time saying that people are waitlisted?

useless ass mail....:)

Here's how it worked when I got accepted in October. The committee met on a Thursday. People I know that I interviewed with got the "no decision e-mail" on Friday. I did not receive it. Next thing I know, there's a big fat envelope sticking in my mail box on Saturday. So basically, the emails get sent out the next day which in your case would have been Friday. The committee met on the 21st which was Thursday. I think you're in good shape.

I hope for your sake I'm right. :)

Good Luck!

doing an Indian Jig.......

Explosivo....i hope for my sake you're right, hahah

thanks for all the help...

take it easy...

hey explosive, once again thinks for the info earlier this month for my interview earlier this month. Hey ucbdancin....i interviewed that first week of november as well. when i called the office the 21st, they said my file was not reviewed yet. I'm wondering if our batch of interviews were for sure interviewed on the 21st. If so, has anyone got the waitlist email? I hope explosivo is right b/c i haven't received the email! I"M PRAYING FOR MY 1st acceptance.....lets keep this thread alive!

hey guys,

i haven't interviewed at UIC yet, but i'm scheduled to interview in two weeks. my problem is that i haven't decided whether i'm going to go to the interview or not. the ticket will cost me ~300 dollars and i'll have to pay for a hotel. i've already received a couple acceptances, the one i like the most is GW. i'm an out of stater. i just don't want to spend all the money, arrive, and realize quickly that i don't like it.

did you guys really like the school? what did you like about it? the website doesn't tell me all that much. i know about the grading, the curriculum (it's traditional right?), the large class size. it's pretty much in the middle of the city, right? what's the reputation of the school? how does it's reputation compare to GW?

i dunno...i'm not usually one to ask this sort of question because i realize that much of the reaction to a school depends on personal preference. but i'm finding it hard to make a decision on this. i guess the issues i care most about is the atmosphere (competitive vs non-competitive...are the students happy?) and reputation.

thanks for all the help...i really appreciate it.

Originally posted by Gaberman
hey guys,

i haven't interviewed at UIC yet, but i'm scheduled to interview in two weeks. my problem is that i haven't decided whether i'm going to go to the interview or not. the ticket will cost me ~300 dollars and i'll have to pay for a hotel. i've already received a couple acceptances, the one i like the most is GW. i'm an out of stater. i just don't want to spend all the money, arrive, and realize quickly that i don't like it.

did you guys really like the school? what did you like about it? the website doesn't tell me all that much. i know about the grading, the curriculum (it's traditional right?), the large class size. it's pretty much in the middle of the city, right? what's the reputation of the school? how does it's reputation compare to GW?

i dunno...i'm not usually one to ask this sort of question because i realize that much of the reaction to a school depends on personal preference. but i'm finding it hard to make a decision on this. i guess the issues i care most about is the atmosphere (competitive vs non-competitive...are the students happy?) and reputation.

thanks for all the help...i really appreciate it.

I'm pretty much in the same position as you and I would also like to get some impressions about UIC, other than whats on the interview feedback section. I'm also confused about the whole multi-campus thing. Can someone explain it? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by SolidGold
I'm pretty much in the same position as you and I would also like to get some impressions about UIC, other than whats on the interview feedback section. I'm also confused about the whole multi-campus thing. Can someone explain it? Thanks in advance.

O.k. I shall attempt to explain UIC for all.

First and foremost you should all know that UIC is a state school and with that should come the understanding that they will not be "wiping your ass" for you so to speak. Don't expect the gold-star treatment that may come from private schools like UofC, Loyola, or Northwestern. There is a ton of bureaucracy and red tape as is common to state schools and tuition increases are always looming b/c of the state's budget crisis.

With that said, the clinical training at UIC is the biggest selling point. UIC students take a back seat to no one in terms of clinical exposure and training that they will receive and resdency directors have taken notice(according to an M4 UofC has been quite happy with the UIC grads it has taken into its residency programs and is interested in recruiting more) You will become a very good clinician and will be given a lot of responsibilty during your clinical years there. You will work very hard but you will be extremely well prepared for residency. In the Chicago area I think UIC carries weight. As for outside I'm not so sure as UIC isn't a top 50 school while GW is. Then again, I've always been wary of the US News rankings and largely feel they are a bunch of horse-bleep. I guess if you're looking for a national reputation you'd probably have to go with GW.

There are a lot of in-state students appx. ~90%. The school and the hospitals are located within the Chicago Medical District which also encompasses Rush and Cook County Hospital. The area is not the greatest however but it has been improved in terms of safety over the years.

There's a lot of lecture which love it or hate it is pretty common to most med schools. There are good lecturerers and bad lecturerers just like any other med school and it's really up to you to decide whether a lecture is worth attending. Lecture attendence averages around 30% so many student's only go to select lectures and use the rest of the time to study independently. I should say though that they really try to jam a ton of information down your throat more than many other med schools. They really stick it to you but people deal with it somehow and pass. Many peopel have told me that you're pretty much forced to skip a class or two just to get through all the information they throw at you.

In terms of the campuses, there are four. You have some input in terms of where you want to go but ultimately they will assign you depending on which campus has availablle spots. Chicago is the main campus and fills up first. Rockford, Peoria, and Urbana-Champaign are the other ones. Rockford is just northwest of Chicago and has a population of about 100,000+. If assigned there you will do your first year in Urbana and then the remaining 3 in Rockford. Ditto for Peoria. Peoria has a rural med program and is a city a couple hours drive southwest of Chicago. Urbana is generally reserved for the MSTP students and is where the main campus of the University of Illinois is located.

The student's tell me that with such a big class you have your gunners and you have people that are just there to learn and meet people. I'd say the atmosphere is slightly competitive but remember they have HP/P/F system so that should minimize it.

This is a very basic overview. I'm sure i've missed a lot of things. Feel free to ask me some more specific questions and I'lll try to answer them. There's also a guy on here named @imtiaz who is an M1 at Urbana so he could probably answer a lot of your questions too.

Thanks a lot Explosivo, that was more info than I was expecting to get. UIC seems like a school I would be more than happy to be at. Just one question though about the campus assignment. I'm not a picky guy and I would love to be at any of the campuses, but I have family in Chicago and I would really want to be at the Chicago campus if I were to get accepted. Since it is the first to fill up, is it possible to request the Chicago campus after already being assigned to another campus since people may withdraw from the school, or is the first assignment the one that is definite? BTW, which campus are you going to? Thanks again.

Originally posted by SolidGold
Thanks a lot Explosivo, that was more info than I was expecting to get. UIC seems like a school I would be more than happy to be at. Just one question though about the campus assignment. I'm not a picky guy and I would love to be at any of the campuses, but I have family in Chicago and I would really want to be at the Chicago campus if I were to get accepted. Since it is the first to fill up, is it possible to request the Chicago campus after already being assigned to another campus since people may withdraw from the school, or is the first assignment the one that is definite? BTW, which campus are you going to? Thanks again.

I got in on their first batch of acceptances so I pretty much had my choice. I chose Chicago for family reasons and b/c that's where I've grown up and all. Some say Peoria has better step 1 scores while others say Urbana has better lecturerers. Others say Rockford is best for primary care and clinical exposre. Personally I believe it is the individual that determines how well one does on step 1 and it really is up to you to teach yourself as lecturerers can only seve as a guide.

The Chicago campus fills up by the end of January but as people with multiple acceptances drop their spots, seats at that campus do invariably open up. The fact that you are an out-of state resident with family in Chicago will play a large factor in terms of where they will assign you. At your interview let them know about that and they will try to take that into account. (My interviewer asked me which campus I would prefer) I know for a fact that they do try to accomodate people for family reasons so that is in your favor. Once assigned however I do not believe you can switch campuses. Again, let them know before they assign you.

Good Luck and I hope to see you in August!

p.s. Feel free to ask me anything else about UIC or chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again Explosivo, my interview is for Dec. 13 at the Chicago campus, so hopefully the Chicago campus is not full by the time my application is reviewed by the admissions committee.

I just wanted to add a few more things on top of what Explosivo already said:

1/6 Doctors in the state of Illinois is a U. of I med grad.

Just in the interest of full disclosure: UIC has awesome clinical facilities...but I heard from the admissions people that they are moving away from using Cook county (as Rush has been trying to monopolize it for their med students). I love Cook county (think Grady or Jackson Memorial) but there are a lot of other hospitals that UIC is affiliated with that will cover the entire gambit of medical care.

Also, when I interviewed (12th Nov.) they said that everybody at that interview date would get their first choice. I doubt that we're the last people to get their first choices either...if I just had to go by my gut feeling.

There's a decompression option at UIC and UIUC (maybe the others, I forget) where you can drag out your pre-clinical years over one more year. This is a great option that I have not seen anywhere else. For those with families and stuff like that it could be a lifesaver.

One final note regarding money: tuition was 10k for this year...next year it's 20k (for instaters). :( :( :( Out of state students, I dunno the exact figures, but I've HEARD 50+k/yr TUITION/FEES for 2003 entering year (class of 2k7). I'd try to confirm this before acting on it...but for the GW person this could be a deal breaker.

OK, looks like I just learned something negative about UIC, the out-of-state price. 41k this year, and if what medicnas says is more than just a rumor, than 50k+ would suck big time. :(

wow...a few hours after posting, and look at all this information.

that match list is impressive...and in addition to all that has been said, i think that i'll be looking up plane fares tonight. hopefully i'll find one cheaper than $300. any suggestions on tickets/hotels for me and solidgold?

i'm concerned about the amount of lecture...and the "overdose" of material to learn. has anyone besides explosivo (thank you btw for your excellent overview) seen that? any other thoughts?

but besides that, UIC seems solid. GW is pretty expensive...about 50k total. i'd be surprised if UIC brought its tuition up to 50k...making the total 60k. then it would be one of, if not the most expensive school for out of staters. if it were 60k, that would be a deal breaker. we'll see.

thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Explosivo
Rockford is just northwest of Chicago and has a population of about 100,000+. If assigned there you will do your first year in Urbana and then the remaining 3 in Rockford. Ditto for Peoria. Peoria has a rural med program and is a city a couple hours drive southwest of Chicago. Urbana is generally reserved for the MSTP students and is where the main campus of the University of Illinois is located.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the RMED rural med program is based out of Rockford, which tends to focus more on primary care. Peoria leans a bit more towards specialties, though primary care is definately important there too.

I interviewed at Peoria, and I'm sorry to say that it was the most disappointing interview day I've had so far. The facilities didn't seem very good, and the day was pretty disorganized. This really sucked, because UIC was an appealing choice for me, being in-state. I don't want to go to Chicago because I grew up in a pretty rural community, and living downtown scares me.

But if anyone has any questions about the other campuses - I currently go to U of I in Urbana, both my parents' families are from Peoria, and my hometown is near Rockford, so I go there fairly frequently.

Regarding rural med -

The main program if you want to practice in a rural area is located out of rockford, but they did mention at the interview some type of rural medicine program in peoria (don't remember the exact details since rural med is not my cup of tea, but it might have been something of a program to help accomodate students coming from a rural area?...again not sure on this one).

Regarding tuition -

Someone mentioned that tuition was 10k this year and going up to 20k next year. I'm pretty sure that tuition was ~20k this year and will be ~20k next year...if you look on their tuition sheet, it says ~10k, but that is per semester. On the other hand, I've always been amazed at the out of state tuition...REALLY pricey

Regarding Peoria -

I have to say I was pretty impressed by the Peoria program, and if not for the temptation of the Chicago social scene, would consider it as a preferable uic location...This is something that everyone will have a different opinion on though. ALSO at the Peoria campus they have a subsidized housing option for students (something I had not heard of before my interview). Basically the school will provide apartments (right next to the med campus) for the students to live in - big $ saver.
Overall I would say the main + for Peoria over Chicago seemed to be friendliness of the faculty (possibly because of the smaller class size?). Students gave several examples of ways that profs had gone out of their way to help.

Regarding a possible 10% budget cut:

When I was interviewing at Peoria one of the staff mentioned that they were undergoing a large budget cut (~10%)...this seems like a REALLY large figure to me, anyone heard anything else on this?

Regarding Woots:

When school resumes we need to make the mcat instructor barcrawl happen, i know L.L. is game :D

Originally posted by Woots32
Actually, I'm pretty sure the RMED rural med program is based out of Rockford, which tends to focus more on primary care. Peoria leans a bit more towards specialties, though primary care is definately important there too.

I interviewed at Peoria, and I'm sorry to say that it was the most disappointing interview day I've had so far. The facilities didn't seem very good, and the day was pretty disorganized. This really sucked, because UIC was an appealing choice for me, being in-state. I don't want to go to Chicago because I grew up in a pretty rural community, and living downtown scares me.

But if anyone has any questions about the other campuses - I currently go to U of I in Urbana, both my parents' families are from Peoria, and my hometown is near Rockford, so I go there fairly frequently.

Yeah I think I got the RMED program mixed up but I don't care, I'm a city boy. BTW, us city folk don't bite woots32. ;)

Chicago is a great city and I think you'd like it very much. Living downtown isn't a big deal really and its far safer than advertised. You just have to be smart about what you do and where you go in the city. For me the other three campuses pale in comparison to Chicago. If you want, you may be able to get a spot at Urbana even though you aren't MSTP. That might be a reasonable option for you if you still feel that Chicago is out of the question.

I just made an appointment for an interview at UIC. I was just wondering, the admissions person on the phone told me that interviewing at a campus doesnt mean you have to go to that campus. How true is that? I know UIC does rolling admissions so I picked the earliest date which was Rockford. However, Im not really interested in rural medicine and would prefer living in Chicago. If they ask me where I want to go when I interview in Rockford and I say Chicago, will that be dumb of me to say????

Jetson

Hello, all

I'm a fourth year UIC student, and I thought I'd drop a line to let you know my take on things...

1. Tuition is not going up 10k. Let me assure you, it is not 10k now. it is now 20k including summers for instaters.

2. When I was applying for med school, i realized that wherever I would go, the first two years would suck, and UIC would probably suck more. I was right. UIC does suck more than the average bear for the first two years.

3. Clinical opportunities are really great. The comment on Cook is correct; we are no longer tied at the hip with cook; we still do some rotations there if we choose (surgery, peds i think) as third years, and as fourth years, anyone can go anywhere anyway.

4. I am now interviewing for residency, and am getting tons of interviews. Not that I was a stellar student or have stellar board scores; there have been very positive comments on the interview trail about UIC.

All in all, UIC was my first choice school. It helps that our hospital is great in terms of training, as many students stay for residency, and are given a huge advantage in residency selection.

Any questions, please ask. I hope this clears up some of the stuff you're sorting through. Best of luck!

Originally posted by PimplePopperMD
2. When I was applying for med school, i realized that wherever I would go, the first two years would suck, and UIC would probably suck more. I was right. UIC does suck more than the average bear for the first two years.

why do you think uic "suck more than the average bear" during the first two years? i just got my acceptance letter, and am pretty sure im gonna go there, but i just want to know what makes the preclinical years different at uic...

Has anyone that has interviewed in the month of November receive a waitlist email?

Originally posted by gotgirth
When school resumes we need to make the mcat instructor barcrawl happen, i know L.L. is game :D

I am so there. :D

Wow, I guess I'm starting to rethink UIC. My interview just left me with a really bad taste in my mouth, but maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt. I think since I'm pretty familiar with Peoria, Rockford and Urbana already, I wanted to go somewhere different for med school.

As for the Chicago thing, my friend is an M1 in Urbana, and he interviewed in Chicago. He said the campus was in a very scary part of town. I don't know if this was true, but I've heard similar things elsewhere.

And he said that his M1 year so far has been terrible. We've been friends for several years, and lab partners in a few classes, but he's encouraging me to go somewhere else.

Damn, I just have no idea where I should go. :confused: But I guess that's a really good problem to have. ;)

Originally posted by Woots32
As for the Chicago thing, my friend is an M1 in Urbana, and he interviewed in Chicago. He said the campus was in a very scary part of town. I don't know if this was true, but I've heard similar things elsewhere.

And he said that his M1 year so far has been terrible. We've been friends for several years, and lab partners in a few classes, but he's encouraging me to go somewhere else.

Damn, I just have no idea where I should go. :confused: But I guess that's a really good problem to have. ;)

Woots32 I think you said that you got into Loyola. Well if I had to choose I'd go there without a second thought. Loyola has a great program and really focuses on teaching you the material and guiding you through things. If the 8k/yr that you'll save by going to UIC is worth it to you then I guess UIC is the place to be.

For me my top 2 choices are Northwestern and Loyola but unfortunately I haven't been interviewed at either place. I'd choose both in a second over UIC.

I am curious though about the complaints your friend has been making. I too have met several disgruntled UIC students over the years but they never seem to get too specific on why they hate UIC so much. Perhaps you can share some of your friends thoughts on UIC for us.

As for the area UIC is in, it isn't terrible. The surrounding area is basically urban ghetto but the campus proper is just fine. Student housing is literally right next door to your lectures. Many students live in other parts of the city and commute in. The danger in the area there is WAY overstated. You've got Greektown and the United Center right next door. It's in the middle of a huge medical district and police presence is very high. I think you should take a trip down there to see exactly what its really like.

Originally posted by 123456
why do you think uic "suck more than the average bear" during the first two years? i just got my acceptance letter, and am pretty sure im gonna go there, but i just want to know what makes the preclinical years different at uic...

Poorly written exams, some poor lecturers, on and on...

Generally, there seems to be a culture of dissatisfaction at UIC in the preclinical years out of proportion to the actual suckiness. I'm not sure why that is; I think a lot of it has to do with just whining. Some has to do with actual suckiness, however.

The area UIC is in isn't the worst. It's not the best area either! It compares quite favorably to Hyde Park, though.

I'll just add this to what pimplepopper has said. An M4 that I spoke to on the interview day mentioned that positive changes are taking place at UIC. Many there realize the problems that have occurred over the past couple years. According to her, the administration has been paying some closer attention to the students. One instance I can think of is how the students got to together to basically get rid of one of the immunology professors in who's class the majority of students failed. Ultimately they went through the proper channels and got him removed from lecturing. So I think students can acheive change and that the administration is not entirely deaf to student concerns.

I also vaguely remember someone mentioning at the interview that someone new has come into the administration in charge of the curriculum, I believe it is a lady, who has plans to shake things up a bit over there and address some of the problems (not sure of this one so if anyone knows otherwise please correct me). I think that the people at UIC have finally recognized that they really have a jewel there that is in need of some polishing. I'm fairly certain that they are aware of how much the school gets trashed by its students. The students I talked to were so negative and ripped UIC so much that I went into this application year with the idea that I'd only go to UIC if it was my only option. I was fully prepared to go deeply into debt at another school just to avoid UIC. My interview calmed many of my fears but nonetheless I have some reservations still.

And yes, UIC is in a better area than UofC which is located in Hyde Park. I work at UofC and on my first day of work I had my car smashed into and had my stereo ripped off.

man...i just bought my ticket last night.

if it's that bad for an instate at 20k...how about an out of state for 40k. ouch.

I know one person that got a waitlist e-mail today, like at 5:00 pm. I interviewed Oct. 23rd and have neither received an acceptance, rejection, or wiatlist e-mail. I know many people got there acceptances on Saturday and some on Monday. Did any one get any today? Is there anyone still waiting for something? I am getting worried because I thought the wiatlist e-amil would have been sent out earlier than it was and I haven't received ANYTHInG!!:( So my big question is , is there anyone still waiting for an acceptance after an interview this past month? Do I need to pe prepared for a waitlist? Agggg:confused:

Originally posted by Gaberman
man...i just bought my ticket last night.

if it's that bad for an instate at 20k...how about an out of state for 40k. ouch.

I just bought my ticket today. 40k is a ton but it really is not any different than most of the out-of-state schools I applied to. I'm going to form my own opinion about the school once I'm there.

hey....i interviewed at UIC on november 8th...you should hear something for this batch of acceptances/rejections etc. Good luck!!

i just got the waitlist email :(. I think i got a little screwed over considering i'm outta state. Not sure if it's a fluke email though....

me too... i got the same email:((( i was hoping for an acceptance this time!!!! thats okay the bears will always prevail.. like they did this weekend. plehhh on stanfurd

maybe the email got sent out by accident?

in a perfect world.....

Hey Drnunia,
I interviewed on 10/29 and have heard not a peep from UIC. My interview did not go well, mostly b/c I was massively ill when I got to Chicago. But you never can tell...

Anyhow, yes, there is at least one other post-interview applicant waiting to hear from them. Good luck.

PD

Well I am sorry you were ill for your interview, but you are out of state and it could be taking longer for the mail to reach you. I hope it reachs you soon!:) Anyone still waiting from IL?

I interviewed on Nov. 5th, and I haven't heard anything. Granted, I haven't been at school to check my mail since Thursday, but my roommate is still there, and she said she'd let me know if I got anything from med schools. :(

Those of you who heard back - what campus did you go to? D'ya think there's different turnaround times depending on where you interviewed?

i got the waitlist email today, oh well....but on the same token, i got an invite from Rush Medical College today so it balances i guess