Anyone heard from MGH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stented growth

Very Stenotic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten calls that I'm ranked to match from other places, but nothing from MGH. Has anyone heard from them? Are they in the habit of calling?

Thx,

stented

Members don't see this ad.

got a call and emails from them

Hey Eastcoast,

Were the calls/emails a reponse to your inquiries/emails or was it just out of the blue.

I obviously have not heard anything from them. No email/calls/letter but I've also not attempted to communicate with them.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from them after I interviewed but was under the impression that everyone from Team G got one too. Truthfully I decided that it was kind of crummy for a team to send emails suggesting that they liked us. I haven't heard anything about being ranked to match anywhere...kind of nerve wracking.

Hey Eastcoast,

Were the calls/emails a reponse to your inquiries/emails or was it just out of the blue.

I obviously have not heard anything from them. No email/calls/letter but I've also not attempted to communicate with them.

Thanks!

hi there,
1 call and 2 emails...both out of the blue.

Well that stinks. I only got an email from my team leader. Not sure what to make of this, "We enjoyed meeting you on (blank date) and learning about your career plans. We hope you had a chance to see how MGH can help you with those plans...blah blah, let us know if you have questions." Seems kind of generic. No second email or phone call. Then again, other hospitals didn't even send me a thank you anything, like the BIDMC.
Is anybody here considering Columbia? If so, do you guys feel that the ancillary services are really THAT bad? :confused:

Well that stinks. I only got an email from my team leader. Not sure what to make of this, "We enjoyed meeting you on (blank date) and learning about your career plans. We hope you had a chance to see how MGH can help you with those plans...blah blah, let us know if you have questions." Seems kind of generic. No second email or phone call. Then again, other hospitals didn't even send me a thank you anything, like the BIDMC.
Is anybody here considering Columbia? If so, do you guys feel that the ancillary services are really THAT bad? :confused:

i think it may be interview-team dependent. not sure it is a big deal one way or the other...

I know, it is kind of scary knowing that people are getting these calls and emails. Hopefully it doesn't mean too much. Thanks for the update Eastcoast. You must be a great candidate!

Was anyone else shocked by the number of interviewees at MGH? There were significantly more people on my interview day than on any other interviews.

yeah I was really surprised by the number of people! I was also really impressed by the number of great people I met. They must have a really tough time ranking the applicants. I'm coming from HMS and can honestly tell you it will be a miracle if I match at MGH. Keep my fingers crossed! Oh heck, I'll be happy with staying in Boston or NYC.

Yeah, that's the email I got, but I didnt like the part that said "we wanted to make sure you knew what a wonderful impression you made on us and hope that you strongly consider us for training." I don't like it when programs give me false hope.

I got a quick note from my interviewer at BIDMC last week...not all that warm and fuzzy or anything, just asked me if I had any questions about the program.

Merlin - Did you interview with Panel F? I got the same type of email "We wanted to make sure you knew what a wonderful impression you made ..."

I think I was team G...I don't remember for sure.

any love from team C? none for me but then again I was an idiot in my panel interview. as a side note, do HMS students think it's hard to get in to BWH/MGH or does the home court advantage pretty much take care of it if you want to stay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the year. This year there apparently are a ton of applicants so obviously not everyone can stay...

Except for a few e-mails immediatly after my interview and replies to some questions I have e-mailed. Have not heard any feedback.

Ha! I don't remember which panel mine was (presumably F or G, from the above posts), but here's a quote from the email I got: "I wanted to be sure you knew what a wonderful impression you made on us during your time here, and we certainly hope you will consider the MGH strongly for your future training." So much for that warm fuzzy feeling!

another random question which might be best answered by HMS folks or residents. Do BWH and MGH talk with each other in terms of making their lists? I know that this is a common though nasty practice among very competitive fields like ortho where candidates will be discussed and divided so that programs don't go as far down their list.

I have never heard of this practice. It wouldn't really make sense because aren't the programs competing to get the best candidates? I hope they don't do this.

I've not heard of MGH and BWH sharing info either. There's probably no need for them to do that.

I did get an email and a phone call out of the blue from MGH.

Re: MGH, does anyone remember the call schedule for rotations on the units? Is it q4, like Bigelow and Ellison or q3? Thank you!

No love from MGH. I talked with a resident there who commented that he didn't get any emails or phone calls either.

They had their rank selection meeting a few weeks ago (shortly after their last interview day) and then called candidates early the next week. I was contacted by the chair of my interview panel. Although it's easy for me to say at this point, I wouldn't worry too much about receiving a call or not as I know several current MGH residents who were not contacted and still matched there. I don't know what proportion of applicants are contacted (the entire match list? just a few they want for some obscure reason?) so it's hard to interpret how important the "call" really is...

just to add some consistency to the post above about phone calls...i also received a phone call from my interview panel chairman. not quite sure what that means, especially since it is not from the PD himself.

so i am hoping that MGH goes deep enough down their rank list that it won't even really matter and those who want to go there can go there if they were fortunate enough to get an interview