anyone help me with PCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppa93

PCO Class of 2009
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
tx

Members don't see this ad.

ppa93 said:
I only applied to one school only cos it was too late, and also I dont have an optometrist who will write a recommendation letter for me.
I have no experience with optometry, and I dont have a bachelor degree.
I am just wondering what are the chances of me getting into PCO? I just applied to PCO so I didnt know if I get an interview or not.
GPA: 3.65
OAT 360 Science, 330 A A
Note: I am a fob, so i speak English with an accent (if it does matter)
What are the chances of me getting into PCO? Do I even have a chance cos it is too late already?
Thanks

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "fob"

ppa93 said:
Fob stands for Fresh out of boat. in other words, I wasnt born in AMerica

aaah, I was an FOB about 10 years ago :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ppa93, you're quite funny. :D You're right, FOB does stand for "fresh off the boat," however, don't call yourself that! While it's not as derogatory as other terms, such as the N-word, it's not the nicest name either. It's usually used to make fun of people who recently immigrated to the US and haven't become "Americanized" yet.

hello,
i have never heard of that term, i guess i am a little naive also ;)
you have a high gpa so that is very good. are you from pennsylvannia or nc? being a resident may be helpful.
regarding the interview, make sure you do your homework regarding optomology and know that this is what you want to do and be able to explain this to the adcoms. you may not have shadowing experience (this may be overlooked b/c you may not have had time to do this and maintain a good gpa), but you probably have been a pt before so know a little something about the field (i've been wearing glasses since 5th grade) also, maybe someone in you family or a friend is an optometrist?
definitely try to do some research in the field and find areas that interest you. you can see if PCO focuses on those areas and be able to ask questions and discuss.
Also, remember that you are interviewing the school too. As a student who moved here from another country and doesn't have a full grasp of the language, you have maintained a gpa thats higher than most applicants. The school wants and needs applicants like you (as they also want and need other types of applicants). Try to ask questions during the interview to figure out if you can be happy studying optometry in this school and living in Philadelphia for 4 years. Good luck :)

ppa93 said:
:laugh: Well, I am just being honest. "Fob" doesnt bother me at all since it is true haha. I have been in USA for 5 years only, and That might make me a fob. Perhaps my accent makes me a fob. I dont care haha. I am an Americanized fob LOL just kidding. As for me, being an US citizen has nothing to do with being a fob. I am an US citizen, but that doesnt make me have an American accent? haha
I hope i am entertaining u guys
take care

hey, where are u a fob from? I'm from taoyuan, taiwan.

ppa93-

My best advice (and something that I feel is repeated by many people in this forum in many threads) is to call the school and see if they think you'll be offered an interview. PCO seems to be very helpful from what I've read and experienced.

As for interview preparation, check previous threads in this forum. There is a lot of good feedback. If you're concerned about your ability to articulate during the interview, practice with yourself in front of the mirror. That's what I do, and it seems to work. I also write myself mini-scripts, so that I can verbalize the unique things about me. Of course, you can't read from a script in the interview, but at least you can lead yourself in a certain direction. Your accent is only an issue because you make it one; the faculty/student interviewers certainly have much more tact and grace than that. Half of my interviewers spoke "imperfect" English, but that didn't stop me from being entirely impressed by them.

If you don't get an interview, maybe you should consider reapplying next year. In the meantime, try to get some experience following optometrists for a couple days or even getting a job in an office. Go to the websites of various schools, ASCO, whatever and read about the profession/coursework. If you don't know anything about optometry, not only will it be apparent to your interviewers, it may cause you a lot of regret later.

-polkadot.

ppa93 said:
I only applied to one school only cos it was too late, and also I dont have an optometrist who will write a recommendation letter for me.
I am just wondering what are the chances of me getting into PCO? I just applied to PCO so I didnt know if I get an interview or not.
OAT 360 Science, 330 A A
What are the chances of me getting into PCO? Do I even have a chance cos it is too late already?
Thanks

Hey all i'm new here . Anyhow, I was wondering wat if someoen in their optometry school decided that they wanted to be an opthamologist instead-would they have to start all over n apply to med school-any shortcuts?

Also, did anyone ever do them sumer minority programs. When do you start applying for opt. school admissions-is it while your in the program so you can get admitted into the school for the foollowing year Or how does it go?
P
Please advise..

Dr.Q said:
Hey all i'm new here . Anyhow, I was wondering wat if someoen in their optometry school decided that they wanted to be an opthamologist instead-would they have to start all over n apply to med school-any shortcuts?

Also, did anyone ever do them sumer minority programs. When do you start applying for opt. school admissions-is it while your in the program so you can get admitted into the school for the foollowing year Or how does it go?
P
Please advise..
i believe u have to start all over again if u wanna be an opthamologist after finishing OD program. Perhaps, there might be schools that will accept u as advance standing just like optometry schools that accept DDS students with advance standing. u might be able to save one year, and that will be it. So u will have to go back to school for another three years.
I dont know baout summer minority programs.
Take care

ppa93 said:
OAT 360 Science, 330 A A
Thanks

You will be fine. I have had PCO classmates who did not finish college and only completely the pre-med programs. YOur GPA and OAT are high which is great. My classmate friends from CA were Vietnamese and Taiwanese and also had accents but that does not matter. In fact, if the school discriminated against people with accents, about 1/4 of my class would not have been accepted.
Please call them up and ask them politely about when you can interview. (YOu could send a follow-up letter or you can have a professional send a recommendation letter even if they are non-relative MD). I think with your GPA you will be getting an interview. It is not too late - I knew someone who applied and interviewed late (she was a procrastinator) and still made it in.
Knowing someone when graduated from PCO could help...I dropped names...

Also dress conservatively (dress suit with skirt or slacks). Remember from the first time you walk into that interview you are being judged on how you handle yourself (actions and conversing) and how mature you are. They want to see if you can make important decisions because you will have to do that one day. They will not ask how old you are so if you act mature, that will favor you. Good luck... :)
PS for the interview: please be familiar with optometric terms. Read optometric or ophthalmologic websites geared toward the public. And learn to spell these terms correctly. They would not like to see a prospective candidate say or spell: "opthalmetry" or "optomology".