Anyone here do psych exams for FAA clearance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKinSC

Wir ernten was wir säen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A local MD that does Aviation Medical Exams reached out to me, asking if I'd be willing to do the Psych exams to expedite the process as some of these folks can take a year to get clearance. I've got some experience with IMEs, so I told him I'd at least look into it. However, from what I can find online, fees are anywhere from $800 - $3000, and at least one guy that does them promises his reports are "FAA-compliant" and between 25-45 pages(!). Most of my IMEs are 4-6 pages, with maybe another page or two, depending on how many questions they want answered. Anyone have any idea what the hell takes up 45 pages, or how much a "standard" report should cost? Any insight at all will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

ChatGPT probably wrote it. Took 45 pages of flowery fluff that can be succinctly written in 8 pages by you, a human. /joke

I have nothing constructive to add to this topic.

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody wants to read a 45 page report. They do have very specific guidelines. You can contact them for more info or do the HIMS training

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since the Germanwings accident (and other pilot suicides) the FAA has tightened up mental health diagnosis restrictions (maybe too much). They will basically hold you to the fire if something were to happen with one of your "cleared" patients. The big boy pilots have to renew their 1st class medical every year (if under 40) or every 6 months if they are over 40, so if you see them every 6-12 months then I think you would get a good picture of how the pilot is doing and your liability will be low.

I would jump on the opportunity as it is a topic that interests me. For rates, I would ask on forums for pilots or browse on them to see how much they are paying for them. In this field money flows and their livelihood depends on these certificates so I bet they are willing to pay top dollar.

My guess would be that only pilots with some history have to get psych clearance and that because so much is riding on the evaluation, it could be somewhat more tense/adversarial than an IME. FAA rules on mental health treatment are strict and from a friend of a friend story, people are afraid to ask questions about what is allowed for fear of outing themselves. It is strange that the FAA has such an open safety culture around examining errors but their medical clearance process discourages asking questions or seeking help, and pilots I know avoid doctors in general.

Reactions: 1 user
The FAA is almost more strict about what treatment you're on than what your diagnosis is/was. They recently started allowing a more streamlined waiver for specific SSRI's IIRC but most psych/neuro meds are on the list where you have get it special approval if that's even possible at all.