Anyone here go this route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shades McCool

Kal-el
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people,

I am new to the board and I was wondering if anyone here went the route that I am currently going. Right now I am about to start my junior year at Auburn University in Chemical Engineering. There is a subset in CheN that is pre-med. That is what I am doing. Sometime I hate myself because chemical engineering is a pretty rough major to put yourself through when that is not even what you will be doing when you graduate. Right now I have a 3.9 and I have taken all the pre-reqs for the MCAT except Organic II. I have also had some of those fun CheN classes too.

Anyone else in here a Chem E?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a civil and all my interviewers have been impressed so far. With a 3.9 in ChemE, they are going to love you. One person who interviewed me also mentioned they are sick of biology majors and like to have variety.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, that makes me feel better! I guess some of these ChemE classes will help me on the MCAT! I mean next semester I am taking a class that is nothing but fluid dynamics. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
yep, I remember that class and there are some concepts you'll study that you'll have a leg up on because you know the subject so much more indepth. the questions on the mcat won't go any farther than what you learn in maybe the first month, if that.

in a 3.9 in chemE (which, lets face it is tons harder than civil which I had a 3.4 in and still getting good interviews) is superb. it shows you can handle many hard classes and excel.

don't think not going bio is bad, it is a huge plus. even if for some point you decide not to go medicine, you can get hired in virutally any field with an engineering degree. they know you can handle and analyze complex subjects. MBA programs are dying for engineering applicants right now.

Besides Chem E's are there any other engineers in here?

Ahhhh I hate Chem E!

no!!! don't hate engineering ever!! it's awesome! i'm at auburn, too, but i'm an AE. that's weird i've never seen any auburn kids on here before-- war eagle!! i don't post alot, but i read through the threads... you ought to do a search on Chem E, i'm sure tons of good stuff will pop up.

I'm a BME and my interviewers have been impressed by it; just be sure to be careful when comparing the difficulty of biology and engineering because most of the people who will interview you were bio when they were an undergrad.

I'm a civil, not a chemE.

vive is right, don't talk about how it could be better to be a eng, let them bring it up.

Originally posted by vivekap2007
just be sure to be careful when comparing the difficulty of biology and engineering because most of the people who will interview you were bio when they were an undergrad.

what do you mean? Should we avoid saying bio was easie because that would put them d own? iS that what you're trying to say? I'm also BME. I thought the bio classes were tougher than Eng ones, actually. (except for t he advanced engineering, and the BioE sequence, that was d efinetly the toughest). I think it's simply that my school is know for bio and med, so it's bio attacts lot brighte st udents than school of en g.

medschools will love that you are an eng major. Just, make sure you can fit in enough bio classes. It's good to have at least two or thee upper division bio, beyond pre-med reqs.

Sonya

I graduated with a BS in Chemical Engineering and have been working as a chemical engineer for 2 years and am reapplying to med school. I didn't have a significant about of hospital experience so that hurt me. The problem I had when I interviewed was that some of the interviewers gave me an attitude like engineers can't be doctors....I guess they just wanted to test me, LOL.

By the way, don't say anything bad about chemical engineering even though you hate it. Point out that the tough curriculum and problem-solving aspects will help you in medicine.

Good luck!

I'm an industrial engineer and have done pretty well acadically and on standardized tests. During my interviews so far, half my interview revolves around something about engineering. It definitely provides a topic of conversation and allows to expound the differences between basic sciences and engineering in mindset. Although it has been painful because i've had to go 2 summers to get all the classes in, it has been well worth it. Whenever i go to my interviews I respect my engineering peers just a bit more than the biologists too :)

I am not trying to put anyone in here down, but Chem E is definetly the most difficult engineering option. I would also say its more difficult than bio majors. I am not saying I am smater because I am Chem E, but its more difficult. As engineers we are problem solvers. We think much differently than people of other majors and I hope it gives us some kind of advantage.

War Damn Eagle............give it to Carnell!!!