Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Formicity

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the long read.

I've been making a major turn around in my academic life in order to really pursue getting into medical school. I'm in my last semester of CC.

I have retaken a lot of classes to improve my 2.6 GPA to a 3.26. I've managed to improve my grades, but unfortunately I won't be finishing this semester strong. I'm currently taking 4 classes, with Bio 110 being one of them (also a retake). I'm going to fail the class. It's the first science I've taken (withdrew from the first attempt) but the whole situation with the class being online+our recitation getting cancelled just made the course very difficult for me. Regardless, I don't want to let my first bad grade in a while stop me.

I will be transferring to a 4 year this upcoming fall. I haven't been accepted into my majors of choice yet (CE and CS), but aside from medicine that is my primary passion and I've been placed into a Letters and Sciences program to work towards getting into my major.

As far as med school prerequisites, how should I go about these? I have pretty much 0 experience or classes in any science or mathematics (highest math I have is statistics 153) field. But I have a newfound dedication (I started to put an end to my previous lifestyle. Cut out a lot of bad habits such as a bad diet, video games, staying up until 5am, etc.) and I'm really trying to make an effort to do my very best.

As a transfer student who plans on majoring in CE/CS, what would you recommend my plan to be for completing my pre reqs, especially as someone who has never taken any basic level, nevermind upper level math and science courses?

And what type of classes should I take during the summer/winter sessions? I plan on taking classes all year round. I've been at my CC for 4 years for only 56 credits. I've wasted so much of my time/life.

Important question: Something else that I'm worried about, are my very low grades early on in my academic career. I know AMCAS calculates all grades, even from repeats, so while my GPA is "decent" now, in the grand scheme of things, it's very low. I know my path will be a hard one, but how should I balance everything out, while also making the most efficient use of my time?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as med school prerequisites, how should I go about these?
If you're entering a 4 year after completing CC (assuming your CC was 2 years so you have 2 years left), you're at a big disadvantage. You have to take all the pre-reqs over the next 2 years instead of spacing them out across 4 years. Still, you should take them in the order than any other student would. You can talk to your colleges advisors for this but for most students its Bio1/Chem1>Bio2/Chem2>Ochem1/Ochem2>Biochem, with the other pre-reqs like math and psych/soc sprinkled in.

As a transfer student who plans on majoring in CE/CS, what would you recommend my plan to be for completing my pre reqs, especially as someone who has never taken any basic level, nevermind upper level math and science courses?
Not for nothing, but are you sure you want to be a doctor? How does someone who has never taken even any basic level science courses decide they want to practice medicine, the foundation of which is built off of science?

Honestly I doubt you'll be able to take all your pre-reqs in the two years before graduating. You're almost certainly looking at a DIY post-bacc after graduation to finish your science pre-reqs. I'd recommend taking the easy ones (bio1/bio2, chem1/chem2) prior to matriculating though.
And what type of classes should I take during the summer/winter sessions?
Doesn't matter, up to you. Would probably recommend against some of the more notoriously difficult pre-med courses like ochem and biochem though.

I know my path will be a hard one, but how should I balance everything out, while also making the most efficient use of my time?
Honestly your path will be hard but not impossible. BUT, you're almost definitely NOT going to be applying to medical school after graduation. You are years away from having a solid, complete application that is consistent with your newfound dedication. Some recommendations moving forward:

1. I think you'd be spreading yourself too thin trying to complete all the pre-reqs in 2 years before graduating, while majoring in something unrelated. Do a DIY post-bacc after graduating to finish the pre-reqs. Try and knock out as many as you can prior to that though.

2. As soon as you touch down at your 4 year college, start looking for research projects. Research isn't absolutely necessary, but it's also way easier to get involved in when you're in college, so try it and see if you like it.

3. You didn't mention any, so I'm going to assume you need more extracurriculars and volunteering. This IS necessary, medicine is a service profession. Start volunteering at a hospital if you can. If you think you'll be spread too thin trying to juggle this with classes, that's ok. Like I said, you're years away from a complete application, so if you need to, just finish college first and then spend a few years volunteering after.

4. You NEED patient contact. If you want to be a doctor, you will be working with patients, so you need to show that you're okay with that and you know what you're getting into. Again, you can do this after college if need be. Volunteered or paid hours, doesn't matter. But this is absolutely necessary.

5. Last but certainly not least, you need to absolutely crush the rest of your classes. Mostly A's. Some B's. No more C's, no more fails. If your story is a comeback story, you need to prove that you are more dedicated and driven by doing better in your classes. This is particularly worrisome since the only science class you've taken so far (BIO111) you've stated you're going to fail, and it only gets harder from there.

I hope you don't think this is too harsh. You absolutely are NOT doomed for medical school. It will be long, and difficult, but you can still make a good application out of where you are. Good luck!

If you're entering a 4 year after completing CC (assuming your CC was 2 years so you have 2 years left), you're at a big disadvantage. You have to take all the pre-reqs over the next 2 years instead of spacing them out across 4 years. Still, you should take them in the order than any other student would. You can talk to your colleges advisors for this but for most students its Bio1/Chem1>Bio2/Chem2>Ochem1/Ochem2>Biochem, with the other pre-reqs like math and psych/soc sprinkled in.

Not for nothing, but are you sure you want to be a doctor? How does someone who has never taken even any basic level science courses decide they want to practice medicine, the foundation of which is built off of science?

Honestly I doubt you'll be able to take all your pre-reqs in the two years before graduating. You're almost certainly looking at a DIY post-bacc after graduation to finish your science pre-reqs. I'd recommend taking the easy ones (bio1/bio2, chem1/chem2) prior to matriculating though.

Doesn't matter, up to you. Would probably recommend against some of the more notoriously difficult pre-med courses like ochem and biochem though.

Honestly your path will be hard but not impossible. BUT, you're almost definitely NOT going to be applying to medical school after graduation. You are years away from having a solid, complete application that is consistent with your newfound dedication. Some recommendations moving forward:

1. I think you'd be spreading yourself too thin trying to complete all the pre-reqs in 2 years before graduating, while majoring in something unrelated. Do a DIY post-bacc after graduating to finish the pre-reqs. Try and knock out as many as you can prior to that though.

2. As soon as you touch down at your 4 year college, start looking for research projects. Research isn't absolutely necessary, but it's also way easier to get involved in when you're in college, so try it and see if you like it.

3. You didn't mention any, so I'm going to assume you need more extracurriculars and volunteering. This IS necessary, medicine is a service profession. Start volunteering at a hospital if you can. If you think you'll be spread too thin trying to juggle this with classes, that's ok. Like I said, you're years away from a complete application, so if you need to, just finish college first and then spend a few years volunteering after.

4. You NEED patient contact. If you want to be a doctor, you will be working with patients, so you need to show that you're okay with that and you know what you're getting into. Again, you can do this after college if need be. Volunteered or paid hours, doesn't matter. But this is absolutely necessary.

5. Last but certainly not least, you need to absolutely crush the rest of your classes. Mostly A's. Some B's. No more C's, no more fails. If your story is a comeback story, you need to prove that you are more dedicated and driven by doing better in your classes. This is particularly worrisome since the only science class you've taken so far (BIO111) you've stated you're going to fail, and it only gets harder from there.

I hope you don't think this is too harsh. You absolutely are NOT doomed for medical school. It will be long, and difficult, but you can still make a good application out of where you are. Good luck!
I've always had an interest in science courses, I just never put in the effort in school. I've done poorly on some courses that you legitimately have to just not give a damn about your education to do poorly in, such as cmns 101 and health 101. Even in my current Bio class which im failing, I still enjoy our labs and lectures despite not doing well. There's nothing special about my situation. Just a typical bad student trying to turn their life around before it's too late. And yup, I know all of this, especially considering that I haven't even been actually admitted into my major of choice all of this will definitely take more than 2 years. That's why I've decided to take classes year round, and even if it means paying out of pocket for summer/winter courses.

1. I definitely plan on talking to an advisor immediately after transfering, but I just wanted to get some good ideas of how exactly to plan everything before doing so. I was even thinking about taking more of my major courses (if offered) in the summer/winter sessions and take pre reqs during the fall/spring. Balancing them as best as I can where I can actually do well in everything though.

2. I'll look into that, thank you

3/4. Volunteer experience would be a bit hard to manage currently as a full time student plus my job. As you said, getting this done after graduating seems to make the most sense

5. Definitely. I don't want to make any excuses, but I personally feel as though the whole situation with covid made my first science class a lot harder than what it needed to be. Lectures are online, office hours are basically at unreasonable hours, and our recitation was cancelled. I wanted to see if I could at least get a D so I didn't withdraw again, but it just didn't work out. With everything getting back to normal, I hope to be able to get more adequate help in science courses.

And I don't think this is harsh at all. In fact, I appreciate you taking the time to address all of my points. Thank you.

I do have one more question. You mentioned that a DIY post bacc will almost certainly be necessary for my case. Do you think it would be better to just do a DIY post bacc and complete all of my pre reqs this way, rather than taken some during my undergrad time and the rest afterwards? Formal post bacc programs are very expensive especially considering I wouldn't be able to hold a full time job. I was thinking that maybe the best path is to just focus all of my attention on my major, and then take all pre reqs in the DIY fashion. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)

I've been making a major turn around in my academic life in order to really pursue getting into medical school. I'm in my last semester of CC.

I have retaken a lot of classes to improve my 2.6 GPA to a 3.26. I've managed to improve my grades, but unfortunately I won't be finishing this semester strong. I'm currently taking 4 classes, with Bio 110 being one of them (also a retake). I'm going to fail the class. It's the first science I've taken (withdrew from the first attempt) but the whole situation with the class being online+our recitation getting cancelled just made the course very difficult for me. Regardless, I don't want to let my first bad grade in a while stop me.

I will be transferring to a 4 year this upcoming fall. I haven't been accepted into my majors of choice yet (CE and CS), but aside from medicine that is my primary passion and I've been placed into a Letters and Sciences program to work towards getting into my major.

As far as med school prerequisites, how should I go about these? I have pretty much 0 experience or classes in any science or mathematics (highest math I have is statistics 153) field. But I have a newfound dedication (I started to put an end to my previous lifestyle. Cut out a lot of bad habits such as a bad diet, video games, staying up until 5am, etc.) and I'm really trying to make an effort to do my very best.

And what type of classes should I take during the summer/winter sessions? I plan on taking classes all year round. I've been at my CC for 4 years for only 56 credits. I've wasted so much of my time/life.

Important question: Something else that I'm worried about, are my very low grades early on in my academic career. I know AMCAS calculates all grades, even from repeats, so while my GPA is "decent" now, in the grand scheme of things, it's very low. I know my path will be a hard one, but how should I balance everything out, while also making the most efficient use of my time?

I'm assuming you mean computer engineering or computer science. If thats not what you mean, then sorry. :/

I did that. As someone who majored in CS while doing premed, my advice is don't. Obviously if you're not sure about your chances then it can be a good idea.

But just realize its going to make the premed path longer and harder, but not substantially so. You're going to have to take more classes and harder classes. Biggest thing is don't overload yourself. You're going to be going to school 5 years at a minimum to get everything done without overloading yourself.

I can't recommend winter courses for their tendency to be an absolute dumpster fire.

Summer courses depending on how your school structures them are harder than normal classes. You can take your prereqs during the summer, just don't take more than 1 course per summer session. (Assuming your school structures summer courses as 4 week blocks). I'm giving you this advice because I found out the hard way.

The advantage to summer courses is that you can focus on one really hard on one course and getting it down. The disadvantage is that the condensed timeframe doesn't give you much breathing room.

At a minimum you'll want to get Bio 1/2, Gen Chem 1/2, Ochem 1/2, and math done. Chemistry takes priority because you need 3 semesters to take all of the courses you need at a minimum. Biochemistry/Psychology are practically a requirement at this point, but you can take them as a postbacc with little issue.

There's other stuff you have to do like volunteering and shadowing. Do that too.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with some of what @alm414 stated but there are somethings that I definitely think you should do differently. When you enroll at your new school it will be a big learning curve for you. The classes will be larger, they move quicker and frankly the students are more prepared than you will be. If you have never taken a science course(how did you get through high school?) you will have a difficult time as evidenced by the W and F showing on the horizon. The first place you need to visit is the academic counseling office and ask for help. You need a very basic science class or two. I’m not sure if colleges even offer that level(almost like a high school class). They do for English and Math so ask. You must focus on your classes and grades. You don’t need to worry about ECs or research at this point. If you don’t figure out how to consistently get all As and a few Bs you won’t need ECs. So allow yourself time to enjoy college and have friends but your goal is to do well academically. As @alm414 said, you won’t be applying for many years so it’s okay not to do ECs at this time. So take your time. Med schools aren’t going anywhere. They will be there when you are ready. Work hard, set your goals and make a plan . Give yourself the best chance to achieve your goals but always remember that there are no guarantees so it’s good you have a backup plan. Good luck as you move forward..

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I agree with some of what @alm414 stated but there are somethings that I definitely think you should do differently. When you enroll at your new school it will be a big learning curve for you. The classes will be larger, they move quicker and frankly the students are more prepared than you will be. If you have never taken a science course(how did you get through high school?) you will have a difficult time as evidenced by the W and F showing on the horizon. The first place you need to visit is the academic counseling office and ask for help. You need a very basic science class or two. I’m not sure if colleges even offer that level(almost like a high school class). They do for English and Math so ask. You must focus on your classes and grades. You don’t need to worry about ECs or research at this point. If you don’t figure out how to consistently get all As and a few Bs you won’t need ECs. So allow yourself time to enjoy college and have friends but your goal is to do well academically. As @alm414 said, you won’t be applying for many years so it’s okay not to do ECs at this time. So take your time. Med schools aren’t going anywhere. They will be there when you are ready. Work hard, set your goals and make a plan . Give yourself the best chance to achieve your goals but always remember that there are no guarantees so it’s good you have a backup plan. Good luck as you move forward..
Bio110 was my first and only science course at a college level. And considering I had a W on the first attempt, I don't really count it since I didn't finish it. My biggest issue with this class was that due to covid, there was pretty much no options for receiving extra help or office hours without looking for it online or outside of my CC. And you made a great point about the back up plan. Based on what the first user who replied to me said, I was thinking that maybe the best thing to do is to just completely focus on graduating in my intended major, and just take all pre reqs as a DIY post bacc (since it will be much cheaper than a formal post bacc at my transfer school).
I'm assuming you mean computer engineering or computer science. If thats not what you mean, then sorry. :/

I did that. As someone who majored in CS while doing premed, my advice is don't. Obviously if you're not sure about your chances then it can be a good idea.

But just realize its going to make the premed path longer and harder, but not substantially so. You're going to have to take more classes and harder classes. Biggest thing is don't overload yourself. You're going to be going to school 5 years at a minimum to get everything done without overloading yourself.

I can't recommend winter courses for their tendency to be an absolute dumpster fire.

Summer courses depending on how your school structures them are harder than normal classes. You can take your prereqs during the summer, just don't take more than 1 course per summer session. (Assuming your school structures summer courses as 4 week blocks). I'm giving you this advice because I found out the hard way.

The advantage to summer courses is that you can focus on one really hard on one course and getting it down. The disadvantage is that the condensed timeframe doesn't give you much breathing room.

At a minimum you'll want to get Bio 1/2, Gen Chem 1/2, Ochem 1/2, and math done. Chemistry takes priority because you need 3 semesters to take all of the courses you need at a minimum. Biochemistry/Psychology are practically a requirement at this point, but you can take them as a postbacc with little issue.

There's other stuff you have to do like volunteering and shadowing. Do that too.
Thanks for the advice. So would you say that it's better to just focus all of my attention on my doing well in my current major, and doing maybe a DIY post bacc (A lot cheaper than the formal post bacc option at my transfer school) after graduating?

If you're failing a class even now, that's not a good sign.

For starters, seek out your school's learning or education center for help with learning styles.

Do you attend office hours? If not, why not?

If you're failing a class even now, that's not a good sign.

For starters, seek out your school's learning or education center for help with learning styles.

Do you attend office hours? If not, why not?
I don't attend office hours because the times don't fit my schedule. My professor offers them MWF from 6pm-7pm online, and I'm at work during these hours. He doesn't offer hours by appointment, and there's not much time to stay after class either but he has another class himself

I don't attend office hours because the times don't fit my schedule. My professor offers them MWF from 6pm-7pm online, and I'm at work during these hours. He doesn't offer hours by appointment, and there's not much time to stay after class either but he has another class himself
Is it too late to drop the course?

If work is going to interfere with y our schooling like this, and I truly sympathize with the need to work, then I suggest that you simply work for a few years and save up the money to then go to school full time.

For any poor grades in the past, see if you can do a retroactive withdrawal. This is indeed a thing at some schools. The worst that they'll tell you is "no".

Read this:

Reactions: 1 users
Is it too late to drop the course?

If work is going to interfere with y our schooling like this, and I truly sympathize with the need to work, then I suggest that you simply work for a few years and save up the money to then go to school full time.

For any poor grades in the past, see if you can do a retroactive withdrawal. This is indeed a thing at some schools. The worst that they'll tell you is "no".

Read this:
I have retaken pretty much most of past grades with the exception of this Bio class that I'm going to fail. It is too late to drop the course.

My work doesn't necessarily interfere with school. This particular professor has really unreasonable office hours in my opinion, especially compared to other faculty professors. It's a morning class and yet his office hours are so late, and not concurrent on the same days we actually have the class T/TH. Another thing with my job is that it offers scholarships which I'm currently using to pay for the remainder of my COA that's not covered by aid.

I have retaken pretty much most of past grades with the exception of this Bio class that I'm going to fail. It is too late to drop the course.

My work doesn't necessarily interfere with school. This particular professor has really unreasonable office hours in my opinion, especially compared to other faculty professors. It's a morning class and yet his office hours are so late, and not concurrent on the same days we actually have the class T/TH. Another thing with my job is that it offers scholarships which I'm currently using to pay for the remainder of my COA that's not covered by aid.
Reach out to other faculty members who teach the same subject

Step 1) go to school full-time on loans. Do not work a single hour for pay or add more than 1-2 hours/week of volunteering if you do not have a >3.5 sGPA.
Step 2) get an A or A- in intro bio. Use academic support, tutoring, and office hours.

If you get stuck at Step 2, find another profession to pursue. Medical school is an order of magnitude harder than intro bio...maybe more.