Anyone here got the rona yet? How ya doin if so?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha I was just about to write at the end of my post the following:
Cue mandatory "My best buddy, the chinese\black\etc person, said it's not racist."

But I just decided to wait for it.

I love how you guys always follow the same racist playbook.

Post reported to mods. When you start calling other posters racists you’ve taken it too far

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess you ignored the post about my best buddy from residency (1st Gen. Chinese immigrant), who will be the first to tell you that it's not a bothersome thing at all.

It seems instead that it only really bothers people who want to have a reason to be bothered.

Sounds like someone who said they can't be racist because they have black friends. Also any statement that starts off with "not to sound racist but..." will ultimately end with a racist statement. Nobody has ever concluded that sentence with anything good.

Reactions: 1 users
The intent behind the name also matters. I suppose potus using the phrase "bad hombres" wasn't racist either.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I was just about to write at the end of my post the following:
Cue mandatory "My best buddy, the chinese\black\etc person, said it's not racist."

But I just decided to wait for it.

I love how you guys always follow the same racist playbook.

I would *plonk* you if you weren't so entertaining.
The guy works in LA's Chinatown, and sees probably hundreds of cases a week.
He's saying, empirically - that his community is not taking it personally.

But, you just keep on being you. *trip*
I love your avatar, too... its like the embodiment of TDS.
A round, RED animal whose bird-brain can't figure out just why it's angry, or what to be angry at next.

I would *plonk* you if you weren't so entertaining.
The guy works in LA's Chinatown, and sees probably hundreds of cases a week.
He's saying, empirically - that his community is not taking it personally.

But, you just keep on being you. *trip*
I love your avatar, too... its like the embodiment of TDS.
A round, RED animal whose bird-brain can't figure out just why it's angry, or what to be angry at next.
I’ll be your primary source. A lot of people in the community are taking it personally - have you searched the hashtag #iamnotavirus ? There is a measurable increase in violence against Asian Americans. Not just Chinese folk cause Americans aren’t even cultured enough to tell the difference.

My uncle was beaten the other day in Chicago China Town by a non-Asian yelling covid related slurs at him. Then he stole his car.

While I am not entirely bothered by calling it the China/Chinese virus, I am bothered by the unintended consequence of people attacking Asians, both physically and verbally, cause they somehow think all Asians have the virus. Short of people actually having a brain, NOT calling it the China virus sounds like a good option.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Trump Derangement Syndrome.

It's must less dangerous than the related, often coexisting conditions of CDS and ODS. Mind you, if the prior president had the equivilant of 2700 Bengazis and stated that he took no responsibility for the government's response, you'd have non-stop hearing about it.

I’ll be your primary source. A lot of people in the community are taking it personally - have you searched the hashtag #iamnotavirus ? There is a measurable increase in violence against Asian Americans. Not just Chinese folk cause Americans aren’t even cultured enough to tell the difference.

My uncle was beaten the other day in Chicago China Town by a non-Asian yelling covid related slurs at him. Then he stole his car.

While I am not entirely bothered by calling it the China/Chinese virus, I am bothered by the unintended consequence of people attacking Asians, both physically and verbally, cause they somehow think all Asians have the virus. Short of people actually having a brain, NOT calling it the China virus sounds like a good option.

1.) Sorry to hear about your uncle. That's awful.
2.) There's certainly a distinction between calling it something and *****s committing a crime because of it. Unfortunately, that seems like its going to happen no matter what we do.
3.) Your lack of faith in humanity is comforting. You'll fit right in if you're EM.
4.) We can have different experiences and disagree on things; but calling something 'racist' to take pot-shots at a president that you *just don't like because* is transparent.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Not a dog whistle. The Chinese government's secrecy, authoritarianism, and incompetence caused this problem. We can embarrass them and continue to push back against their propaganda by using current naming conventions and calling it "Wuhan Virus". Sometimes you can accomplish two things at once.

Reactions: 1 user
The intent behind the name also matters. I suppose potus using the phrase "bad hombres" wasn't racist either.

Since this thread has really devolved to an alarming degree, I'll just go ahead and add my own non-sequitur.

Am I the only one who can't stand the rampant usage of 'POTUS'? As a matter of semantics, I just ****ing hate it.

Not a dog whistle. The Chinese government's secrecy, authoritarianism, and incompetence caused this problem. We can embarrass them and continue to push back against their propaganda by using current naming conventions and calling it "Wuhan Virus". Sometimes you can accomplish two things at once.

I'll agree to agree with you on this point, as well as your contention that the current economic limitations will have worse ramifications than the pandemic, if you agree to agree that the U.S. gov't possesed, and missed, the opportunity to markedly mitigate the problem had it responded appropriately, and that this was an inevitable consequence of the combination of Reaganism and Trumpism.

I like how people simultaneously claim that they are calling it the China or Chinese virus just because that's where it originated and then also saying we need to name it so in order to remind everyone who is at fault. This is the great thing about dog whistles. There is enough inbuilt ambiguity to pretend the racist intent is not there, but enough racism to convey the right message to one's racist followers.

Let's put it this way: hardly any Chinese person would appreciate the name. What does that tell us about it?

Additionally, like someone else indicated above, intent is known through a pattern -- which is well-established in the case of Trump. This is only denied by those who share his bigoted worldview and are also not brave enough to admit they are racist.
The Atlantic is a dog whistle too?

If there wasn't an established standard of naming viruses after their original location (again, save the Spanish flu), then I would agree with you.
But it doesn't suddenly become racist this time, when it wasn't 2012 for MERS.

There are plenty of racist terms for it. Chinese isn't one of them. We can agree to disagree, but changing the name won't change what people are doing. People who were going to stab Chinese people in the parking lot for it simply because they saw them on the way to stock their prep room won't stop and say "hey now, it's not actually Chinese, it's SARS CoV 2". It's not like we can reverse time, or cause people to unlearn it.

And while yes, racist people may use it, this has started to become a "gotcha" thing not unlike when 4chan convinced part of the world that an ok sign was a dog whistle. If you want to call people out for racism, point out when they're doing racist things. If they call the virus Chinese and then devolve into statements that point out that they are, in fact, a racist piece of ****, call them out. But if they use the name in the common vernacular and aren't blaming individual Chinese people, then maybe we shouldn't jump to playing the racist card. It's getting real old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.