Anyone here got the rona yet? How ya doin if so?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wareagle726

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it would be nice to hear from some colleagues who have been positive a) so we could give some support and help if possible and b) to get a little anecdotal description of symptoms from someone who can accurately describe it.

Members don't see this ad.

Just thought it would be nice to hear from some colleagues who have been positive a) so we could give some support and help if possible and b) to get a little anecdotal description of symptoms from someone who can accurately describe it.
Can't speak firsthand but have 2 people I work with who have/had it. One is young and healthy and said she felt like she had a bad case of the flu for about 10 days with a legit fever every single day. Also said her chest felt tight and a bit hard to breathe everyday. Now she's fine and back to 100%.

My other colleague is older and still intubated.

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
One of our CC docs had it and is now back up to full speed after several days of flu-like symptoms.
Our lone psychologist (not psychiatrist) was on the vent for several days. I think he made it. I think.

I'm pretty sure he made it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far 60+ physicians and 30+ midlevels no one has it in my group (that is confirmed). We are all seeing 5-10 of these patients a day so the exposure is there.

We do have a lot of Asians visiting, so I wonder if we got blasted with this in December and we are already past the peak. We had a lot of serious flu-like illness, worse than usual it seems in January.

We do have a lot of Asians visiting, so I wonder if we got blasted with this in December and we are already past the peak. We had a lot of serious flu-like illness, worse than usual it seems in January.

You can't say that. That's RACIST.
Lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Well it was Chinese New Year and I was staying with friends at the Bellagio. All of us got sick with a flu-like illness afterward.

BestBuddy from residency is first generation Chinese immigrant.. I am Godfather to his daughter. He will be the first one to say: "Hey guys; maaaybe stop eating bats and scorpions and other things we shouldn't eat? Maybe? Sound good?"

To state that the phrase "Chinese Virus" is xenophobic/racist is just another symptom of TDS.

Gong Shi Fat Chai.

Reactions: 6 users
My wife started a new job about 5 weeks ago. The owner came back from the Finger Lakes with what appeared to be the common cold. However, my wife also met up with a friend of hers just after that. The friend is a family doc. The friends wasn't sick at the time. The wife got sick, and got me sick. This was a non productive cough for me, and that was it. No fever, and no SOB. The wife was worse, but she has gnarly sinus problems. However, no fever, although she had chills. No SOB, either. She was lingering on, when she found out that her friend came up COVID positive. Just after that, the wife lost her sense of taste and smell. This was the same day that that UK paper reported ENTs in Great Britain picking up COVID cases from pts presenting for sudden loss of smell and taste. That still hasn't resolved, although the wife is getting better otherwise.

So, contact with a known case without any PPE, and symptoms consistent. I should be the sick one, because I'm DM1. However, I'm just drinking beer by the literal gallon, and am going out to get food and groceries. I'm believing that that that coryza was my exposure, and, now, I'm immune. I am not challenging that, though!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I've had lots of sore muscles, headaches, and dry coughs.
But I also have become an alcoholic apparently, as well hay fever has risen up.

So who knows. Looking forward to antibody testing.

To state that the phrase "Chinese Virus" is xenophobic/racist is just another symptom of TDS.

What's TDS?

I don't think "Chinese virus" is semantically in and of itself xenophobic, but it is unnecessary--Coronavirus and COVID-19 are both more medically-accurate and still universally-understood terms.

That being said, I think if you made a Venn diagram of people who insist on calling it the Chinese/Wuhan virus and those who are xenophobes, you would end up with something that resembles a circle.

Reactions: 5 users
What's TDS?

I don't think "Chinese virus" is semantically in and of itself xenophobic, but it is unnecessary--Coronavirus and COVID-19 are both more medically-accurate and still universally-understood terms.

That being said, I think if you made a Venn diagram of people who insist on calling it the Chinese/Wuhan virus and those who are xenophobes, you would end up with something that resembles a circle.

Most accurate is Wuhan virus in keeping with established naming conventions. I think it's important, as shaming China's leaders is the best way to enact change. Economic and military threats won't work, but saving face is very important to their leaders. Let's keep reminding the world where this originated, in order to facilitate change in the dangerous practices, and deception which allowed this virus to spread.

Reactions: 8 users
3 coworkers have had it that I know of. 2 of them landed in the ICU, 1 intubated (now extubated), and the other has been discharged.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most accurate is Wuhan virus in keeping with established naming conventions. I think it's important, as shaming China's leaders is the best way to enact change. Economic and military threats won't work, but saving face is very important to their leaders. Let's keep reminding the world where this originated, in order to facilitate change in the dangerous practices, and deception which allowed this virus to spread.

Which "established naming conventions" are those? Coronaviruses have been named for a while, and this one already has an official name that doesn't include China or Wuhan in it. You'd be on more solid footing if SARS-CoV-2 had been named based on geography (a la MERS), but it isn't.

Most accurate is Wuhan virus in keeping with established naming conventions.
Indeed. How many can I name? West Nile virus, Lyme disease (Old Lyme, CT), tularemia (Tulare County, CA), Marburg virus (Marburg, Germany), Ebola virus (Ebola River), Reston virus (Reston, VA), Tanapox (Tana River), Korean Hemorrhagic Fever, St. Louis Encephalitis virus. That's just off the top of my head, after several beers. That is not xenophobic or shaming. It's accurate. How many different virus genera do you recall from micro? They come from all over the place. Arbovirus (arthropod borne), astrovirus and coronavirus (looks like a star and a crown under the electron microscope), rhinovirus (in the nose), flavivirus (from people becoming jaundiced), rhabdovirus (rod-shaped), ebolavirus, marburgvirus (locations).
Which "established naming conventions" are those?
ICTV

Reactions: 5 users
The data on renal involvement is very concerning from my point of view.

This is based on two studies which showed a high rate of renal abnormalities in corona-positive patients. In the first study, after being admitted to the hospital, 34% of the 59 patients developed massively elevated levels of albumin in urine (proteinuria), a symptom of kidney damage, while 63% of the study patients developed proteinuria while in hospital, and many of them also had blood loss in their urine (hematuria). Kidney function was impaired in 27% of the study population and in 66% of the patients who died from the coronavirus infection. These findings were supported by a second study involving 710 hospitalized patients. Upon admission, 44% of the patients had hematuria and proteinuria (26.7% had only hematuria), while kidney function decreased in nearly 15% of the patients.

More than half of patients had significant renal abnormalities on admission to the hospital. I think there is every reason to be concerned that even some patients with milder pulmonary symptoms who never seek hospital care might still have kidney involvement, after all your kidneys have to be totally fried before you become symptomatic. I'm not a nephrologist by any means but massive albuminuria is very concerning for glomerular damage, and glomeruli don't regenerate. There is still so much we don't know about this disease, but the possibilities are unsettling to say the least. Who knows what the long term hit will be even in "mild" cases with this thing.

Fatigue. Sore throat. Two days of fever. No GI symptoms. No anosomia. No cough. Isolation nearly over.

Last edited:
Indeed. How many can I name? West Nile virus, Lyme disease (Old Lyme, CT), tularemia (Tulare County, CA), Marburg virus (Marburg, Germany), Ebola virus (Ebola River), Reston virus (Reston, VA), Tanapox (Tana River), Korean Hemorrhagic Fever, St. Louis Encephalitis virus. That's just off the top of my head, after several beers. That is not xenophobic or shaming. It's accurate. How many different virus genera do you recall from micro? They come from all over the place. Arbovirus (arthropod borne), astrovirus and coronavirus (looks like a star and a crown under the electron microscope), rhinovirus (in the nose), flavivirus (from people becoming jaundiced), rhabdovirus (rod-shaped), ebolavirus, marburgvirus (locations).

ICTV

Literally the first text in the ICTV page is the following:

UPDATE:The virus causing the current outbreak of coronavirus disease has been named "severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2" (SARS-CoV-2). The manuscript describing the name also reports the work of the ICTV Coronaviridae Study Group that determined the virus belongs to the existing species, Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus.

I get that it could have been named after a place in China--many diseases and viruses are named after places--but it doesn't have to be, and it wasn't. Continuing to insist that we have to change the name is bizarre at best, and suggests ulterior motives at worst.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I get that it could have been named after a place in China--many diseases and viruses are named after places--but it doesn't have to be, and it wasn't. Continuing to insist that we have to change the name is bizarre at best, and suggests ulterior motives at worst.

Right now there’s a sizable amount of people who believe the virus originated as a bioweapon from a US lab. “Ulterior motive” or not, some people need constant reminding of where the virus truly came from.

Two of our docs were out in February and several of us had less severe symptoms, when the only people we were testing were people with recent travel to China or Italy, so none of us every got tested. I have no idea if it was the 'rona or not, but we do have tourists from all over. Many from New York and NJ were here around the time the virus was starting to explode there. I agree that antibody testing will be interesting. Praying that I already had it.

Last edited:
Right now there’s a sizable amount of people who believe the virus originated as a bioweapon from a US lab. “Ulterior motive” or not, some people need constant reminding of where the virus truly came from.

Not sure we know exactly where it came from. I was firmly in the camp of it coming from the Wuhan wet markets, but there is some pretty good arguments that it escaped from the Wuhan CDC lab located a mere 280 meters from the wet-labs.

We can remind people where it came from to push back against conspiracy theories. If you are a conspiracy theorist, I doubt a new name will make you see the light, though. In any case, I don't know that conspiracy theories should be the basis of our medical naming schemes.

So far 60+ physicians and 30+ midlevels no one has it in my group (that is confirmed). We are all seeing 5-10 of these patients a day so the exposure is there.

That's a really interesting point. We (Vegas) did have a really active flu season in December and January. And I know several ER and EMS people who make good cases that they may have had it early on. One medic said he had transported a patient from an area with disease activity at that time (sidesteps landmine) and then got a flu like illness for about 2 weeks. That said I also have a colleague in the ED who had access to one of the new COVID antibody tests and he had no antibodies so he doesn't seem to have been recently exposed.

This whole situation is such an information nightmare. What the tests mean, the logistics of ordering them, the fact that they don't change anything clinically other than isolation procedure, the question if they should change iso procedure. It's no wonder the public is going ape s*** with confusion. They hate non binary medical information at baseline. "Well if my EKG and troponin are normal there's nothing wrong with my heart. What kind of idiot doctor are you?" This hellish hodgepodge of questionable data is frying their brains.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure what the coronavirus naming has to do with Trump. He wasn't the first to get the name wrong and won't be the last.

You must not have seen the press tripping all over themselves on their way to calling him a racist when he used the term "Chinese Virus".

Regardless of what he says about coronavirus, I don't think we needed any more proof that Trump is a racist...it has been pretty apparent for years.

• Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Regardless of what he says about coronavirus, I don't think we needed any more proof that Trump is a racist...it has been pretty apparent for years.

A+ trolling. Now, back to the original question. plz and thnx.

Reactions: 3 users
Forget the ‘rona. I think we’ve got a few cases of TDS here as evidenced by this thread...

We have a group of ten PAs and forty docs. No one’s gotten ‘rona yet.

That's a really interesting point. We (Vegas) did have a really active flu season in December and January. And I know several ER and EMS people who make good cases that they may have had it early on. One medic said he had transported a patient from an area with disease activity at that time (sidesteps landmine) and then got a flu like illness for about 2 weeks. That said I also have a colleague in the ED who had access to one of the new COVID antibody tests and he had no antibodies so he doesn't seem to have been recently exposed.

Welcome back! I had several people in their 40's in January with "flu" who had completely whited-out ARDS lungs on X-ray. They got intubated and sent for ECMO. It's a small sample for sure, but I can't ever remember intubating healthy younger people for the "flu" in past years.

both my parents have had it for a week, and appear to be recovering, fever resolved, no dyspnea, cough and myalgia still there, did not require hospitalization so far, thank goodness. Dad just dropped the bombshell on me yesterday despite being sick for a week. 'I didn't want to worry you, son'. Hate it when they do this.

A+ trolling. Now, back to the original question. plz and thnx.

This thread had already devolved into the "proper" name for the virus and conspiracy theories about how China started the virus from a lab. So I will post what I want, thanks champ!

But...no I have not gotten the "rona" yet.

EM here in central TX and I tested positive about 1.5 weeks ago. Had a scratchy throat that felt like allergies first. Then over then next 24 hours turned into painful ST/subjective fever/malaise, and dry cough that lingered for a 2 days. The loss of sense of smell is 100% true and was the most distinctive feature about the virus for me. It was unlike anything like I had experienced before. I realized I had it when I couldn't smell a glass of wine I was drinking with dinner even if I stuck my nose all the way in the glass and couldn't smell a lit candle. I actually burnt some toast the next morning because I didn't realize I was overcooking it until I saw the smoke. Smell and taste came back a few days ago and I've been asymptomatic long enough that I can go back to work next week.

Reactions: 4 users
EM here in central TX and I tested positive about 1.5 weeks ago. Had a scratchy throat that felt like allergies first. Then over then next 24 hours turned into painful ST/subjective fever/malaise, and dry cough that lingered for a 2 days. The loss of sense of smell is 100% true and was the most distinctive feature about the virus for me. It was unlike anything like I had experienced before. I realized I had it when I couldn't smell a glass of wine I was drinking with dinner even if I stuck my nose all the way in the glass and couldn't smell a lit candle. I actually burnt some toast the next morning because I didn't realize I was overcooking it until I saw the smoke. Smell and taste came back a few days ago and I've been asymptomatic long enough that I can go back to work next week.

What's "ST"?

BestBuddy from residency is first generation Chinese immigrant.. I am Godfather to his daughter. He will be the first one to say: "Hey guys; maaaybe stop eating bats and scorpions and other things we shouldn't eat? Maybe? Sound good?"

Gong Shi Fat Chai.

About as offensive as when they used to call aids “gay cancer”. Words matter.

China has taken a huge dump on the entire world. Hiding the disease, the extent of the disease, and insisting to keep up with their ridiculously low infected number to this day.

I don't disagree one bit making sure no one forgets where this virus originated.

Besides, like has been mentioned earlier, we use location for a variety of other virus names. MERS Cov still had middle eastern right in the name. No reason China should get any special treatment.

‐-------------------
Back to main topic, one of my colleagues wife was just diagnosed with the coronavirus after being sick with a persistent URI for a week. She is a nurse. Doing well at home.

He is asymptomatic so far.

From my standpoint, there are ways to make the virus name racist. And while it originated in Wuhan, the blame falls at the foot of China.
We still refer to the 1918 pandemic as the Spanish Flu, and it wasn't even particularly their fault.

Racist people are going to be racist no matter what, and we could call it whatever we want, people know the origins, and they're going to be racist pieces of **** towards Asians in general, and Chinese people specifically. I mean this. Calling it Covid, SARS CoV 2, unicorn disease, or whatever won't stop that.
But if this forces the rest of the world to actually place some blame on China as a country, then I will allow it.

But yeah, if any of you actually say any racist stuff in this thread, there will be consequences.

Reactions: 3 users
This thread had already devolved into the "proper" name for the virus and conspiracy theories about how China started the virus from a lab. So I will post what I want, thanks champ!

But...no I have not gotten the "rona" yet.

So cynical lol. Post what you want... I even gave it an A+.

Welcome back! I had several people in their 40's in January with "flu" who had completely whited-out ARDS lungs on X-ray. They got intubated and sent for ECMO. It's a small sample for sure, but I can't ever remember intubating healthy younger people for the "flu" in past years.
Do you know how they did?

Personally, I like Covid-19.

It just sounds good to me. I'd rather tell people they have Covid, then say "coronavirus" or "Wuhan virus".

Whoever coined the name gets a solid A from me

Personally, I like Covid-19.

It just sounds good to me. I'd rather tell people they have Covid, then say "coronavirus" or "Wuhan virus".

Whoever coined the name gets a solid A from me
I heard at least one person call it the "Luhan virus." That was pretty lit.

I like how people simultaneously claim that they are calling it the China or Chinese virus just because that's where it originated and then also saying we need to name it so in order to remind everyone who is at fault. This is the great thing about dog whistles. There is enough inbuilt ambiguity to pretend the racist intent is not there, but enough racism to convey the right message to one's racist followers.

Let's put it this way: hardly any Chinese person would appreciate the name. What does that tell us about it?

Additionally, like someone else indicated above, intent is known through a pattern -- which is well-established in the case of Trump. This is only denied by those who share his bigoted worldview and are also not brave enough to admit they are racist.

Yeah but 'chinese communist party virus' doesn't have a nice ring to it. Kinda like why people in Iran chant 'death to America' instead of 'death to american imperialism' or 'death to the american government and its foreign policies'. Not very catchy.

• Hmm
Let's put it this way: hardly any Chinese person would appreciate the name. What does that tell us about it?

I guess you ignored the post about my best buddy from residency (1st Gen. Chinese immigrant), who will be the first to tell you that it's not a bothersome thing at all.

It seems instead that it only really bothers people who want to have a reason to be bothered.

I’m Chinese and don’t care if you call it the Wuhan Virus. It originated there and makes sense to me. However calling it the China Virus/Chinese Virus is too generally and has caused me to start carrying my .45 to fend off *****s who might want to stab me at a Sam’s Club.

No ‘rona yet for me, but I did like how a patient, an older black man, called it “The 19” the other day. I’m hoping that one sticks - kinda like the “high 5” for HIV.

I guess you ignored the post about my best buddy from residency (1st Gen. Chinese immigrant), who will be the first to tell you that it's not a bothersome thing at all.

It seems instead that it only really bothers people who want to have a reason to be bothered.

Haha I was just about to write at the end of my post the following:
Cue mandatory "My best buddy, the chinese\black\etc person, said it's not racist."

But I just decided to wait for it.

I love how you guys always follow the same racist playbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.