Anyone here have chronic pain?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

houseobsessed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just wondering if anyone here finds it a bit harder to study/learn when you have lots of pain. I am not letting it stop me or anything but then maybe you take the pain med but then that screws up to....

I have reflex neurovascular dystrophy, or so my rheumatologist says so...not sure i believe her, but it hurts my legs the most but everything else to and sometimes I find it harder to focus and what not.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It feel your pain. 😉

I have a chronic condition and it definitely gets in the way of studying. Sometimes I'll be in so much pain that all I want to do is sleep. Like you said, pain meds make it pretty much impossible to study, but I still try sometimes. I generally have a heavy course load, so not studying isn't really an option most of the time.

Right now I'm at about an 7.5 on the 1-10 scale, so I decided to stop studying Chem and browse SDN. I take breaks a lot.
 
It feel your pain. 😉

I have a chronic condition and it definitely gets in the way of studying. Sometimes I'll be in so much pain that all I want to do is sleep. Like you said, pain meds make it pretty much impossible to study, but I still try sometimes. I generally have a heavy course load, so not studying isn't really an option most of the time.

Right now I'm at about an 7.5 on the 1-10 scale, so I decided to stop studying Chem and browse SDN. I take breaks a lot.

Thank you 😀 The pain does not necessarily make me want to sleep, the pain med does :l. I'm taking anatomy and trying to learn all that poses kind of a extra challenge but nothing ever worth having comes easy.
 
Thank you 😀 The pain does not necessarily make me want to sleep, the pain med does :l. I'm taking anatomy and trying to learn all that poses kind of a extra challenge but nothing ever worth having comes easy.

The pain doesn't make me want to sleep, but sometimes it's my only way to get away. Granted, without some heavy pain pills I usually wake up from the pain, anyway.

That's a great attitude to have. You know, you might be interested in volunteering for a program through Stanford that's become nationwide. If you'd like some info feel free to PM me.
 
The pain doesn't make me want to sleep, but sometimes it's my only way to get away. Granted, without some heavy pain pills I usually wake up from the pain, anyway.

That's a great attitude to have. You know, you might be interested in volunteering for a program through Stanford that's become nationwide. If you'd like some info feel free to PM me.

Those little slices of death are the perfect escape yes.....and thank you, I am very persistent/driven if i want to know/do something so this will push me to my goal of being an internal medicine doctor. I am quite interested in that program, I did PM you, not sure if you saw it yet.
 
Those little slices of death are the perfect escape yes.....and thank you, I am very persistent/driven if i want to know/do something so this will push me to my goal of being an internal medicine doctor. I am quite interested in that program, I did PM you, not sure if you saw it yet.

Yeah, I just sent you a message back. 🙂
 
I am just wondering if anyone here finds it a bit harder to study/learn when you have lots of pain. I am not letting it stop me or anything but then maybe you take the pain med but then that screws up to....

I have reflex neurovascular dystrophy, or so my rheumatologist says so...not sure i believe her, but it hurts my legs the most but everything else to and sometimes I find it harder to focus and what not.

I got reflex sympathetic dystrophy as a side effect from a "painless" lithotripsy to break up kidney stones during medical school. Ended up taking dilaudid for 4 months trying to focus was impossible. Basically became pain free after multiple accupuncture appointments and about a year of osteopathic manipulation. It is possible to get over/through the pain. Just need to find the right balance of treatments.
 
I got reflex sympathetic dystrophy as a side effect from a "painless" lithotripsy to break up kidney stones during medical school. Ended up taking dilaudid for 4 months trying to focus was impossible. Basically became pain free after multiple accupuncture appointments and about a year of ost eopathic manipulation. It is possible to get over/through the pain. Just need to find the right balance of treatments.

So you stayed in stage 1 the entire time? and haha painless, when don't doctors lie xD just kidding guys...but no it won't hurt a little bit, especially if your getting a lp done by a first timer x.x. I never went for accupuncture, but accupressure. Pressing in certain points released chemicals and lactaid acids and what not.
 
I got reflex sympathetic dystrophy as a side effect from a "painless" lithotripsy to break up kidney stones during medical school. Ended up taking dilaudid for 4 months trying to focus was impossible. Basically became pain free after multiple accupuncture appointments and about a year of osteopathic manipulation. It is possible to get over/through the pain. Just need to find the right balance of treatments.

Good to hear that you are pain free.

Unfortunately, my condition requires treatment that is more painful than the condition itself, so I generally forget to schedule appointments. Ha. It looks like I'm going to need surgery soon, but I've been avoiding that too. I would need to take off at least one quarter of school. Possibly more. Maybe I should give acupuncture a shot. 😛
 
Good to hear that you are pain free.

Unfortunately, my condition requires treatment that is more painful than the condition itself, so I generally forget to schedule appointments. Ha. It looks like I'm going to need surgery soon, but I've been avoiding that too. I would need to take off at least one quarter of school. Possibly more. Maybe I should give acupuncture a shot. 😛

hahaha 🙂 whats the treatment? and why surgery 🙁 I have no idea how I would ever miss anything, I'd die. First time i'm like ok body, no getting sick for the next 10 years :laugh: like that'll happen. I have a better chance of getting accepted into Hopkins. Try accupressure
 
I have chronic pain. Manage to "manage" it fairly well with stretching and oddly enough an hour a day on the elliptical at the gym. Occasionally, I will take ibuprofen if I am having a bad day. Otherwise, I put up with it.
 
I have chronic pain. Manage to "manage" it fairly well with stretching and oddly enough an hour a day on the elliptical at the gym. Occasionally, I will take ibuprofen if I am having a bad day. Otherwise, I put up with it.

Ah man, you are still luckier. It interferes with my walking, depends, if its the calf, knee, thigh, or all x.x or any other muscle/joint, another major one is my stomach. I think I have fibro and will bring this up next appointment. Another mri on tuesday. Hip crest tender. Ibuprofen does nothing for me, I take like 2 tramadol and i can still have some pain.
 
Best recipe to cure pain is "physical exercise and balanced diet"to keep body in control leading to destruction of pain

Hope everyone follows it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
there are people unable to do excercise, and they are people who are to lazy to do either of those, go to the doctor, MAN I CAN'T BREATHE, well stop eating twinkies and smoking all day, no thanks.

what if you're paralyzed....
 
alwayz try thinking in a postive rather tha tellin i cant breath or im paralyzed n stuff there r ppl who is sufferin with pain all day still they work the amount they can.And always think i can get out it then u will
 
Best recipe to cure pain is "physical exercise and balanced diet"to keep body in control leading to destruction of pain

Hope everyone follows it


Unfortunately, it isn't that easy for some. Immediately after my injury, I was unable to stand for more than ten minutes. Since then, I have undergone multiple types of physical therapy, ranging from stretches to traction to pilates. Nothing helps. I've always had a balanced diet and pride myslef on that. Through high school and college it hasn't been easy to eat right and not drink or smoke, but I haven't.

You're on the high school forum, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are simply naive, rather than a pompous ***. If you want to be a doctor, you have to learn that not everything can be healed through exercise and diet. If that's what you believe, maybe you should just become a nutritionist.
 
Unfortunately, it isn't that easy for some. Immediately after my injury, I was unable to stand for more than ten minutes. Since then, I have undergone multiple types of physical therapy, ranging from stretches to traction to pilates. Nothing helps. I've always had a balanced diet and pride myslef on that. Through high school and college it hasn't been easy to eat right and not drink or smoke, but I haven't.

You're on the high school forum, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are simply naive, rather than a pompous ***. If you want to be a doctor, you have to learn that not everything can be healed through exercise and diet. If that's what you believe, maybe you should just become a nutritionist.

:laugh:👍 nice wristband!

Pompous ***... enjoy your diet and exercise now buddy, you barely have time to blink in med school, let alone eat food.
 
I am just wondering if anyone here finds it a bit harder to study/learn when you have lots of pain. I am not letting it stop me or anything but then maybe you take the pain med but then that screws up to....

I have reflex neurovascular dystrophy, or so my rheumatologist says so...not sure i believe her, but it hurts my legs the most but everything else to and sometimes I find it harder to focus and what not.

Dude, you're obsessed with House, and your legs hurt? Seriously?

I think that your obsession is becoming a little too hardcore. Watch Scrubs instead. Funny rants are much more useful for med school that leg pain.

😉
 
Oh yes, I chose to have a disease, bad legs, bad!!!

and it's not just my legs, It's basically anywhere in my body it feels like. I wish it was confined to one area.