Interviews— Does anyone have any tips for an outstanding interview? How best to calm nerves? Or what should be worn?

O.F. Hanson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I previously posted this on CollegeVine’s community forums but I believe I can receive a more detailed, experienced response since everyone seems to have “been there, done that” when it comes to college applications on SDN—Thank You!!

First and foremost, here is a piece of the email I received (just to provide some insightful information):

“This year all one-on-one interviews will be conducted virtually (Zoom, Skype, Facetime, etc.) or by phone. The interview will last 30-40 minutes. In accordance with Duke policy, recording any audio or video of our interview or conversation is prohibited. As a reminder, the interview is not a mandatory part of your Duke application. However, it is an opportunity for Duke to learn more about you and for you to learn more about Duke. As an alumni interviewer, I do not have access to your application, and you do not need to provide me with your resume or transcript. Through our conversation, I hope to learn about your interests and activities.”
To be honest, this is longer than most conversations I have nowadays considering the quarantine and I worry my elaboration on things will be very brief rather than extensive (which is what I believe they are looking for in ~35mins). Furthermore, what exactly should I wear?—like how “dressy” should I look? What are some questions I can ask the interviewer? Should everything I say be reflective of my application with detail? And lastly, how can I overcome nerves (this is my NUMBER 1 School)?

All answers, support, and advice are appreciated!! Thank You!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Wear business casual. If you are a young woman, wear a nice blouse or button-down shirt (if you are relatively small-busted) +/- a cardigan or a nice sweater. If you are a young man, wear a dress shirt and a tie. For girls, wear conservative makeup. I would stay away from eyeliner, non-neutral eyeshadow or glossy lip stuff. If you have a pair, I would wear chinos or other dress pants in case you need to stand up at some point. If you don't have them and don't have a sibling, friend, or cousin who wears the same size you could borrow from, just focus on the top and try not to stand up.

Be mindful of your background for Zoom interviews. Don't have a ceiling fan in the background. Have a neutral background that won't distract from what you have to say.

Because these are alumni interviews, these are genuinely more informational than evaluative.

I would start by establishing rapport with your interviewer. Ask them about their major, career, etc. You could ask them how they decided on that major or career. You could ask them if they did any extracurriculars at Duke.

Talk to them about your short-term goals (what you want to study at Duke, any extracurricular interests you would like to start or continue there) and long-term goals (what you want to do after college).

I personally had good luck asking my alumni interviewer how [Name of college] helped them to achieve their goals. This helps segue into how Duke can help you achieve your goals.

You could also ask for advice on how to succeed in college. Many of these alumni volunteer for informational interviews because they want to give back to their community and help the next generation succeed.

Not everything you say must be reflective of your application in detail. Again, these are informal, "get to know you" type things.

As for nervousness, try a mindfulness approach. Mindfulness is essentially focusing on the present moment to cope with anxiety. Start with your head and shoulders and breathe while clearing your head and relaxing your major muscle groups. Then, take some deep breaths with a clear, blank mind while you focus on what you hear (e.g. printer), see (e.g. taupe walls), feel (e.g. soft chair), and smell (e.g. mom cooking). Does that remind you of anything? Do you remember hanging out in the library with your friends when you hear a printer? The idea is to get you away from your anxiety spiral and focused on the present moment.

Does that answer your question? Would you like me to elaborate on anything? What else can we help you with?

Reactions: 1 user