Do I Have Potential?

bibivicenzo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Okay, very stressed at the moment, so in desperate need of words of advice! I am currently a rising high school senior and my stats are:
7.12 GPA (weighted)
3.57 GPA (unweighted)
Approx. a 3.5 college GPA
1330 SAT
29 ACT
Unfortunately, my GPAs slipped badly last semester as I ended up taking 11 classes alongside the stresses of studying for the SAT/ACT and running a club. Recently, I attended a medical camp and the students I met were amazing! They were all so smart and on top of their game! Ever since I've been doubting my chance of becoming a doctor :(
What's been stressing me out the most is my college GPA. I've dreamed of attending Duke University for years but because of my GPA I know that won't happen but right now I would be happy to simply get into any medical school. I've also developed this fear that there will be no way for me to get a good score on the MCAT as my SAT/ACT scores aren't the "best".
I've worked with doctors for years and I simply adore the occupation. In the past, I've been extremely driven putting my future and education before everything but that has kind of declined as I keep telling myself there's no point as I can't become a doctor.
I don't know if my message made any sense and if it didn't I'm sincerely sorry. I've been dying to post on here but I never got around to it as I think I'm afraid of having to accept I can't become a doctor

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of people get a higher percentile on the MCAT compared to the SAT/ACT.

(Also low key that's like a 90th percentile SAT)

If you have the drive and motivation in you, you will become a doctor. I believe that for everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry, what? I understand it is weighted but I have never heard of anything over a 5.0.

1330 SAT
29 ACT
studying for the SAT/ACT
my SAT/ACT scores aren't the "best".
First of all, you seem smart and driven and I do not think studying for these exams is necessary but I suppose it is too late to tell you that. And second, your scores are fine.

What's been stressing me out the most is my college GPA.
You shouldn't be stressed about your GPA. It is fine and you have plenty of time to continue improving throughout your college career. This is not going to keep you out of any undergraduate school, including Duke (no minimums, looking for engagement and rigor in courses). And it won't end your hopes of a medical career either.

Don't compare yourself to current physicians or medical students. They have had several years if not a decade or more than you to practice, learn, and figure out how to seem on top of things. Glad you found a career that appeals to you but try to dial back the comparisons and neuroticism. You will be fine.

Now, why is Duke your dream undergraduate school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of people get a higher percentile on the MCAT compared to the SAT/ACT.

(Also low key that's like a 90th percentile SAT)

If you have the drive and motivation in you, you will become a doctor. I believe that for everyone.

I am hoping at this moment that my drive and motivation will get me through! Thank you for your reply!!

I'm sorry, what? I understand it is weighted but I have never heard of anything over a 5.0.

First of all, you seem smart and driven and I do not think studying for these exams is necessary but I suppose it is too late to tell you that. And second, your scores are fine.

You shouldn't be stressed about your GPA. It is fine and you have plenty of time to continue improving throughout your college career. This is not going to keep you out of any undergraduate school, including Duke (no minimums, looking for engagement and rigor in courses). And it won't end your hopes of a medical career either.

Don't compare yourself to current physicians or medical students. They have had several years if not a decade or more than you to practice, learn, and figure out how to seem on top of things. Glad you found a career that appeals to you but try to dial back the comparisons and neuroticism. You will be fine.

Now, why is Duke your dream undergraduate school?

Thank you for your reply! First of all, I know the GPA sounds pretty odd but the GPAs in our county just keep going up. (Our valedictorian has like a 10 )
Are those scores really okay?? The adults around all say it's not good enough :/
And do you really think there is enough time to bring my GPA up to an acceptable level? That's what has been stressing me out the most.
Also, there is no way I'm going to Duke for undergrads! lol too expensive I meant I dreamt of going there for med school.

Thank you for your reply! First of all, I know the GPA sounds pretty odd but the GPAs in our county just keep going up. (Our valedictorian has like a 10 )
But I mean that mathematically does not make sense. It isn't additive in that way. Weighted GPA usually only goes to a 5.0. (At least, I have never heard of a high school using a GPA scale with more than 5.0. I know some grad schools and foreign places do that).

The adults around all say it's not good enough
What adults? Seriously. Who?

And do you really think there is enough time to bring my GPA up to an acceptable level?
Your high school GPA is at an "acceptable" level for college. College GPA is what is considered for medical school. Just try to do the best you can in any classes that are dual credit or dual enrollment for college (I am not referring to AP or test-out situations). EDIT: For the reason listed by the poster below.

I meant I dreamt of going there for med school.
Well then, no need to think about that yet because you aren't even in college. Med school doesn't care about high school. Learn good study habits and get into college. Then you get to worry about trying to get into medical school. But not yet.

Last edited:

While a 3.5 in your college courses certainly not bad...but be very careful taking college courses in high school. Those grades will stay with you forever on your med school application. So don't put too much on your plate unless you're certain you can ace those classes.

But I mean that mathematically does not make sense. It isn't additive in that way. Weighted GPA usually only goes to a 5.0. (At least, I have never heard of a high school using a GPA scale with more than 5.0. I know some grad schools and foreign places do that).

What adults? Seriously. Who?

Your high school GPA is at an "acceptable" level for college. College GPA is what is considered for medical school. Just try to do the best you can in any classes that are dual credit or dual enrollment for college (I am not referring to AP or test-out situations). EDIT: For the reason listed by the poster below.

Well then, no need to think about that yet because you aren't even in college. Med school doesn't care about high school. Learn good study habits and get into college. Then you get to worry about trying to get into medical school. But not yet.

Not unheard of for the weird GPA scale. Plenty of my friends in college went to high schools with 10.0 and 12.0 scales. It's weird but it's not unheard of.