Anyone Here Work Night Shift?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smugtroll

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work for a FedEx at the overnight hub. My hours are 12-4am and I sleep 5-12noon and then class and study in between.

I like my job but it always feels like a dream because its in this huge industrial park/ airport. Everything is huge and loud!

Anyone else work nut-job hours?:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I watch my son from around 7:30 until 4:00 then go to work at a restaurant until midnight, then go to the gym and usually in bed by 2:00 a.m. Fun!

I work for a FedEx at the overnight hub. My hours are 12-4am and I sleep 5-12noon and then class and study in between.

I like my job but it always feels like a dream because its in this huge industrial park/ airport. Everything is huge and loud!

Nut here!
I work 11pm-8:30am, am married w/toddler & dogs, and in school
3/4 time. No sleep happening here! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally, I get it. Smug. Troll. Your house is paid off, you work the night shift, and you're pulling a 4.0.

I had such a girlish crush on your avatar too.

Sniff! I must away to grieve, my hero is but imaginary.

Finally, I get it. Smug. Troll. Your house is paid off, you work the night shift, and you're pulling a 4.0.

I had such a girlish crush on your avatar too.

Sniff! I must away to grieve, my hero is but imaginary.

don't forget being an Army officer too (operation Iraqi Freedom)!

i started and sold a business so I had some cash...married. If you read my posts you'd also realize that I have lots of equity but little savings.

I needed health insurance and didn't want to pay $700 cobra (the family) and I didn't know of any place that would pay for tuition/books/health insurance (and I'm not working at Starbucks) in exchange for working a 4 hour shift x 4 nights a week....and yes you better believe that I busted nearly a 4.0

And the picture is Ted Haggard who was the hypocritical, drug using, who paid for sex and happened to be the leader of New Life Church in Colorado......

I spent 3 1/2 years working in the lab of a clinical pharmacuetical research company. I started while in undergrad in data reduction and would work from about 4 AM until 8 - 9 AM and then go to school all day. Then I switched to running the mass specs and worked from 8 PM to 4:30 AM, would get home around 5 AM, and up around 8 to get my son to school by 9 and then off to grad school. I've been working full time in a university research position for the last 3 years and hope I never ever have to work night shift again, but I am sure I will. I feel for you all, it's tough.

--

2 1/2 yrs 11p-7a in a cardiac step-down unit. Would get home around 8am, try to sleep (key word: try) between 10 and 3pm, at which time I had to pick up the kids at school, feed them, help with homework and I was out the door by 5:30, in school until 9pm home for a quick shower and, if lucky, a nap before heading out to work again at 10:30pm.

I wasn't getting much sleep or food in between, so I ended up getting sick a lot.

Now, It's been 1 year 7a-7p at the ER. I still don't get that much sleep, but I feel less stressed out. Night shift is okay, once you get used to it, you're lucky that your shifts are shorter, though. Good luck.

I've been working 11p-7:30am for a little over a year, only part time though. I go directly to school and for some odd reason decided to pick up an unpaid internship this semester. In some sick way I think I like to push myself to the edge. Also everything is a lot funnier when you've had no sleep. No kids but I've got a husband who hates it.

I've been working 11p-7:30am for a little over a year, only part time though. I go directly to school and for some odd reason decided to pick up an unpaid internship this semester. In some sick way I think I like to push myself to the edge. Also everything is a lot funnier when you've had no sleep. No kids but I've got a husband who hates it.

My husband hates it too, but it's the only way I can fit in work with family &
school. And you're right everything IS funnier on no sleep in that "walking zombie" sorta way:laugh:

Count me in (talking of walking zombies)! :sleep:

For over two years, I've been working 11p - 8a at one of the largest hospital system in the southeast. I go to class 9a - 4p and sleep 6p - 10p. Can't wait until summer's here and I quit my job and start med school :smuggrin:

i worked the night shift for 40 hours for about 4 months while going to school full-time. Hated it.

Works if you have to do it because you're free to schedule classes and whatever else the rest of the time. But I hope I never have to work night shift again in my life....except for residency on call stuff etc.

I always get kind of nausiated when the morning sun beats down and I haven't slept. It's like your body is saying...."dude??!!....wtf?....this is so wrong"

I worked nights from 4pm-1am doing the swing shift at a mortgage company for 2 years before I started my post-bacc program. I took math classes in the morning and volunteered at a hospital. Can't imagine still working there during my post-bacc years. Wish I had the money, though. :)

I used to work grave yard at an past job, but I recently took a job as an OR attendant working Tues & Thurs 3-11pm and am working a gas station job Thurs, Fri and Sat 11pm-7am. I'm so tired. I took it so I could study. Hopefully I can still pull-off the FT school, 2 kids and keep my wife happy. It's all worth the free Mt. Dew.

I used to work grave yard at an past job, but I recently took a job as an OR attendant working Tues & Thurs 3-11pm and am working a gas station job Thurs, Fri and Sat 11pm-7am. I'm so tired. I took it so I could study. Hopefully I can still pull-off the FT school, 2 kids and keep my wife happy. It's all worth the free Mt. Dew.

Dang dude that's a rough schedule. Hang in there. Free Mt dew--that's funny:laugh:. Hopefully someday when people are offering you job benefits it will be along the lines of $10,000 performance bonuses and profit sharing for medical practice partnerships and not all you can eat slim jims and mt dew!

Working the night shift right now. Hours are 11pm-7am. Currently I am taking Orgo II with lecture 1030-1130 MWF and lab Monday 1245-345 (got out at 430 today) and Thursday 530-630 pm. My research proposal went down the tubes so now I have to find a new project, write a new proposal, and study for the MCAT in May. This schedule bites but at least I know I can handle the residency hours. :cool:

11p-730a here in a pharmaceutical laboratory. sucks but it won't be forever.

Well, I'll be starting to work 3 12-hr shifts 7p-7a starting Sunday and I can't wait! Having done my orientation during the day, it was hell waking up at 6 am when it is dark and not getting home until 8 pm when it is dark again, only to repeat it the next day...to me, that is depressing! My days are Sunday, Monday and Thursday, which will work out well for me when I finish my science prereqs (O chem and Physics next year).

Of course, I do have to mention that I don't have kids, I know that for people working at night and having a family, it can be hard to get adequate rest since your schedule doesn't jive with your famiy's, but for me, it works and I can't wait!

Krisss17

Of course, I do have to mention that I don't have kids, I know that for people working at night and having a family, it can be hard to get adequate rest since your schedule doesn't jive with your famiy's, but for me, it works and I can't wait!

Krisss17

Tell me about it! Rest? Sleep? What's that??!!
I work 11pm-8:30am Mon-Thurs, come home each morning to my 2 yr old that is just getting up while hubby leaves for work. On a good day I only have to stay awake until 2pm and then tot & I nap for about 2-3 hrs. Get up to clean, cook dinner, maybe sleep another hour when hubby gets home at 8pm then leave again at 10:30p. On a bad day (which seem to be more frequent), when my tot is Satan's child (and i mean that in the most loving way possible) and REFUSES to nap, I have to either stay up until hubby gets home or barricade us (tot & I) in her room so she can play with toys while I "rest" my eyes on her pillow:sleep: ...ugh, i'm so not cute on those days! School fits somewhere in between w/online & weekend classes. But, i'm not complaining. I love my life:p

Any of my fellow grave yard shifters around tonight (or morning)?:D

I only want a fridge full of half frozen Mt.Dew:thumbup: !lol
Jacq-I'll see if I can get a hook-up during the night and keep you company.
Hope all those waiting have not waited in vain and recieved admittance letters!:luck:

Jacq-I'll see if I can get a hook-up during the night and keep you company.

Cool, thanks! Talking to myself all night just isn't as much fun as it used to be;)