Anyone here working as a psa or pharm tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my first pharmacy job as a PSA (pharmacy service associate). In several weeks i can do my training to become a pharm tech. Im pretty excited to finally be working within my field. I got my first taste of what its like working in a pharmacy and I must say since this was my first day on the job, i was VERY nervous cuase the whole place was busy and hectic and i was pretty much left on my own with duties and tasks that needed to be done.
Im jus wondering if there are others here that are PSA's or pharmtechs and what u guys think about working in pharmacys and ur experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been working as a CPhT for a year and a half now. I like it b/c its so fast pace. Do work in a retail or hospital pharmacy? It was my first pharmacy job, and I studied for the certification while I was working. I'm not working as much now b/c my school load is a lot, I'm in my last semester of pre pharm. Are you certified? Now in texas at least, they are making techs be registered also. you have to pay about 65 dollars i think and register with the state board i believe. My boss just told me about it a few days ago. I guess they want to hold techs more accountable.

sandy check your pm's

Members don't see this ad :)
Your pharm tech experience well be different depending on the place u want to work at. A hospital pharm tech has a different duty than a community pharm tech. There is some overlap. Also if the community or hospital pharmacy is busy, then life can be more stressful.

A pharm tech at the hospital generally would make more IV, do chemo drugs, fill cassettes, deliver meds, and pick up prescriptions. Also handle general data entry into the computer such as billing and maybe some prescriptions. Certain hospitals make their pharm tech do compounding as well.

A pharm tech at the community generally take refill orders, type up new prescriptions and prescription refills, and help fill prescriptions. Generally, they deal with insurance more. More customer interaction too I think.

I'm a certified pharmacy tech. I've been a tech for almost 7 years, and certified since 2002. I worked in the retail, mail order, and hospital (both adult and pediatric) settings. Right now, I mainly make chemo IVs at a children's hospital, where I work full-time.

Originally posted by FutureRxGal
I'm a certified pharmacy tech. I've been a tech for almost 7 years, and certified since 2002. I worked in the retail, mail order, and hospital (both adult and pediatric) settings. Right now, I mainly make chemo IVs at a children's hospital, where I work full-time.

Wow!! Cool.

I'm also a certified pharmacy tech. I've only been working for about a month now in a hospital. I studied for the certification exam on my own but had been volunteering at the hospital so I was able to get a job there as soon as I became certified.

Someone mentioned that we have to be registered in Texas (by June 1st I believe). I just registered online and it's pretty easy.

Here is the website to register in case anybody needs it.

http://www.tsbp.state.tx.us/techregintro.htm

I'm a pharm tech for a hospital after working retail for 6 years. I have to say they are COMPLETELY different! I prefer retail but each environment has its own set of hassles. At my job I mainly do mundane things like filling carts, unit dose, delivering meds, but on occasion do some simple compounding and make IVs.

I've never been a certified tech but am currently a first year student so as and intern, I don't have to be :D

hey cool everyone.
Im just starting out as a "pharmacy service associate" in retail but hopefully in couple weeks i plan on training to be a pharm tech. Ill be uncertfied at first becuase i think i need like 9 months or so of partime experience before i can get my certification but either way i hope that would being a pharm tech would entail me more pay at least heh as well as more important duties than a "psa"

superfly,
What state are you working in? because the PCTE website says you only need a GED or high school diploma to sit for the exam... there is one given in July. I'm planning on applying to EVERY pharmacy job in my city and I am thinking of taking the exam in july regardless of if i get a job as a PSA or tech. I'm not sure you need to wait 9 months before certification. Maybe some states you do? I'm not sure.