Anyone here works and goes to school full-time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SN1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you manage your time? are you still able to achieve good grades? I took calc-based physics, calc, computer, and orgo II but did NOT work at all and still spent most of time studying. I aced the classes but pretty much had 0 social life. I did go out a few times but I still felt that I did NOT get too much fun. Is it really possible to go out, meet girls, have a relationship, work, party, drink, while maintaining good grades?
All my friends keep asking me, hey how come you don't got a gf, bla bla bla.. Even my family are questioning my sexuality lol.

Do you people with good grades spend most of your time studying? I am truly curious of what dental school would be like if undergraduate alone only gives me very little room to have fun.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you manage your time? are you still able to achieve good grades? I took calc-based physics, calc, computer, and orgo II but did NOT work at all and still spent most of time studying. I aced the classes but pretty much had 0 social life. I did go out a few times but I still felt that I did NOT get too much fun. Is it really possible to go out, meet girls, have a relationship, work, party, drink, while maintaining good grades?
All my friends keep asking me, hey how come you don't got a gf, bla bla bla.. Even my family are questioning my sexuality lol.

Do you people with good grades spend most of your time studying? I am truly curious of what dental school would be like if undergraduate alone only gives me very little room to have fun.

Time management is key. Prioritize what's important to you and you shouldn't have any problems. For instance, sophomore year second semester I was taking: Orgo 2, Orgo 2 lab, Anatomy, Anatomy Lab, Genetics, Genetics Lab, Humanities, Advanced Spanish Oral. At the same time I was working as a General Chemistry tutor on campus about 10 hours a week, at the mall about 20 hours a week, and assisting an orthodontist. I was also heavily involved as an executive officer for clubs. Yet....I watched tv all the time, and hung out with friends almost every week, while still getting all A's. Dental schools really want to see that you can balance a heavy load, and that you don't become one-tracked. Definitely socialize more, while balancing school at the same time.

Last semester I worked 36 hours (3 12 hour overnight shifts) a week and took 14 credit hours (3 classes and 2 labs) and got all A's...and I am married with a kid, found plenty of time for my social life. I made school my priority from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday thru Thursday. I did stuff with my fam/friends from 5-bedtime on weekdays, and worked Friday/Sat/Sunday overnights. Friday mornings/days were my stress relief time where I spent time by myself to unwind. Monday"s sucked pretty bad, going straight from work to class but overall it wasn't bad. I got 20+ hours of social time in with a full time job and full credit load. It really only got hairy around big tests.

That said, I am not doing it again. I am now in business for myself so I can work when and how much I want around my school schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last semester I worked 36 hours (3 12 hour overnight shifts) a week and took 14 credit hours (3 classes and 2 labs) and got all A's...and I am married with a kid, found plenty of time for my social life. I made school my priority from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday thru Thursday. I did stuff with my fam/friends from 5-bedtime on weekdays, and worked Friday/Sat/Sunday overnights. Friday mornings/days were my stress relief time where I spent time by myself to unwind. Monday"s sucked pretty bad, going straight from work to class but overall it wasn't bad. I got 20+ hours of social time in with a full time job and full credit load. It really only got hairy around big tests.

That said, I am not doing it again. I am now in business for myself so I can work when and how much I want around my school schedule.

Wow that is very impressive. 12 hour shifts, those must have been a killer.
Dental schools will love you, you were able to perfectly balance everything with school.

Hey,

I work roughly 30 hours a week, and take about 14-16 credit hours a semester.

As other posters mentioned, TIME MANAGEMENT is everything. I work 8-hr shifts 4 days of the week and the other 3 days are dedicated to attending class; it is vital that I utilize my time between classes and after work to studying. I imagine that dental school will be equally stressful since we will only have the weekends and late evenings to study.
Nonetheless, I get all A's and one B each semester lately (with the exception of my Freshman year C+s). A 4.0 is nearly impossible for me it seems :mad: but it's a small price to pay considering I'm 100% debt-free, and I can still afford to apply to dental school/take the DAT/travel to interviews without financial burden.

So the question is, how do we do it? 1) utilize all your time 2) manage your stress (don't let the pressure get to you, because it will hinder you).

Hope I answered that fair enough.

Hey,

I work roughly 30 hours a week, and take about 14-16 credit hours a semester.

As other posters mentioned, TIME MANAGEMENT is everything. I work 8-hr shifts 4 days of the week and the other 3 days are dedicated to attending class; it is vital that I utilize my time between classes and after work to studying. I imagine that dental school will be equally stressful since we will only have the weekends and late evenings to study.
Nonetheless, I get all A's and one B each semester lately (with the exception of my Freshman year C+s). A 4.0 is nearly impossible for me it seems :mad: but it's a small price to pay considering I'm 100% debt-free, and I can still afford to apply to dental school/take the DAT/travel to interviews without financial burden.

So the question is, how do we do it? 1) utilize all your time 2) manage your stress (don't let the pressure get to you, because it will hinder you).

Hope I answered that fair enough.

Wow i feel like a baby after reading all if these. I

I think it is more common for grades to slip due to working 20+ hours per week. Do whatever it takes to get your grades, and if it means not working then so be it.

While some schools may give some slack for a lower gpa due to working excessive hours, most don't seem to care and will simply wonder why you didn't just take out more loans.

Get the high gpa through whatever means necessary. If that means no work and no social life then so be it. It's a very small price to pay in my opinion.

Also, don't sweat having to study a seemingly large number of hours. It seems to be a very common game in undergrad...the whole game of getting high grades while pretending not to study and partying all the time. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt and just do what YOU have to do.

I was just about to ask this question myself. I'm scheduled to take Ochem 1 and A&P 1 in fall quarter and work 32 hours a week. I know that both of these classes are difficult and I find myself contemplating whether I should only work 3 days a week so I have enough time to study and earn As. I just finished summer quarter 3 days ago and have five weeks before fall quarter starts, yet I'm already trying to get a head start on classes.

You my friend are an animal; it's refreshing to know plenty of people still aren't afraid of hard work. But then again, maybe I'm drinking the SDN kool-aid because nothing is normal here.

I was just about to ask this question myself. I'm scheduled to take Ochem 1 and A&P 1 in fall quarter and work 32 hours a week. I know that both of these classes are difficult and I find myself contemplating whether I should only work 3 days a week so I have enough time to study and earn As. I just finished summer quarter 3 days ago and have five weeks before fall quarter starts, yet I'm already trying to get a head start on classes.

If it's just 2 classes I think you will be ok.

I work about 30 hours a week on a full time course load as well... It sounds bad, but once you get used to managing your time, your fine. :thumbup: