Anyone in SIU MEDPREP for 2009 or applying for 2010 cycle????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredds2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I am applying to SMDEP for the 2010 cycle. I am predental and I was wondering if there are any predental students on here or even pre med that are in this program and can tell me more about it. I talked to the Dean of the dental school and I am really excited although there is not direct affiliation with the dental school. I stll may have a chance to get in SIUE COD if I do well in the program and I plan on doing WELL! lol

Also, the website is kind of outdated and I was wondering anyone knows of a course sequence for the program??:confused:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am also Pre Dental and applying to MEDPREP for the 2010 year. My undergrad wasn't too great so I'm hoping to really get into this program for a chance at dental school. Have you already turned in your app? :oops:

Thanks!

I am also Pre Dental and applying to MEDPREP for the 2010 year. My undergrad wasn't too great so I'm hoping to really get into this program for a chance at dental school. Have you already turned in your app? :oops:

Thanks!

Hey that's awesome!! Another pre dental person! I sent my application last week so now I am waiting for my letter of recommendations to arrive. Have you applied yet? Also, have you taken the DAT yet or are you waiting to take the prep courses in the program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey that's awesome!! Another pre dental person! I sent my application last week so now I am waiting for my letter of recommendations to arrive. Have you applied yet? Also, have you taken the DAT yet or are you waiting to take the prep courses in the program?

Thanks!

:) I'm excited that your pre dental too. Everybody else seems to be pre med applying to the program. I'm filling out my application now..... I wish u the best of luck! I haven't taken the DAT yet, I am actually waiting for the prep courses. Have u taken the DAT yet? Do you have any extra info about the program?

Hey

I am applying to SMDEP for the 2010 cycle. I am predental and I was wondering if there are any predental students on here or even pre med that are in this program and can tell me more about it. I talked to the Dean of the dental school and I am really excited although there is not direct affiliation with the dental school. I stll may have a chance to get in SIUE COD if I do well in the program and I plan on doing WELL! lol

Also, the website is kind of outdated and I was wondering anyone knows of a course sequence for the program??:confused:

Thanks!

I'm predental, did the program when it first started (2006?) at UT-Houston. If you go to the smdep website you can go to each school's personal site to check on classes, events etc as each is different. The program is awesome, and is a great way to see behind the scenes of a school. Not sure how much I can help, but if your applying for the UT-Houston program PM me, I can give u more info. Best of luck!

:) I'm excited that your pre dental too. Everybody else seems to be pre med applying to the program. I'm filling out my application now..... I wish u the best of luck! I haven't taken the DAT yet, I am actually waiting for the prep courses. Have u taken the DAT yet? Do you have any extra info about the program?

I hope that we both get in!!:D I took the kaplan course this summer because I was going to apply to dental school this summer but then I realized that I really need to work on improving my goa. So I am going to wait for MEDPREP to take DAT prep courses and the DAT.

I heard about the program through a doctor named June McCoy. She is a friend of my mother and she actually went through the program!!!! She said the program is excellent at getting all of their students into dental or medical school. Since there aren't that many pre dents thats probably better for us :D lol. Have you visited the site? If not its http://www.siumed.edu/medprep/. I have talked to one guy the facebook MEDPREP group who is pre dental and in the program now. Everyone I have talked to has given me positive comments about MEDPREP.

Are you from Illinois? I think this is a great program!!!! I talked to an advisior and she said that admission day is either October 23 or 26 for the first batch of applicants and we will be notified in November if we are accepted.

Best of luck to you too!!!

I'm predental, did the program when it first started (2006?) at UT-Houston. If you go to the smdep website you can go to each school's personal site to check on classes, events etc as each is different. The program is awesome, and is a great way to see behind the scenes of a school. Not sure how much I can help, but if your applying for the UT-Houston program PM me, I can give u more info. Best of luck!

Wait a sec this is MEDPREP not SMDEP. lol :confused: But I went through SMDEP at Howard in 2007 ;) lol. Did you mean MEDPREP?

Yeah I realized the same thing after I posted, lol (I did mean SMDEP)

I hope that we both get in!!:D I took the kaplan course this summer because I was going to apply to dental school this summer but then I realized that I really need to work on improving my goa. So I am going to wait for MEDPREP to take DAT prep courses and the DAT.

I heard about the program through a doctor named June McCoy. She is a friend of my mother and she actually went through the program!!!! She said the program is excellent at getting all of their students into dental or medical school. Since there aren't that many pre dents thats probably better for us :D lol. Have you visited the site? If not its http://www.siumed.edu/medprep/. I have talked to one guy the facebook MEDPREP group who is pre dental and in the program now. Everyone I have talked to has given me positive comments about MEDPREP.

Are you from Illinois? I think this is a great program!!!! I talked to an advisior and she said that admission day is either October 23 or 26 for the first batch of applicants and we will be notified in November if we are accepted.

Best of luck to you too!!!

:hello:I'm not from Illinois but I'm from Milwaukee, WI. The program seems like a very good program since their acceptance rate into professional schools are high. Like u said since we are pre dental hopefully that makes are chances greater. Thanks for the info! Keep me updated.

Thanks for posting this topic! I am very interested in doing this program! I have never heard of it but I will apply after I looked at the site. I am predental also and I hope we will get in!

Thanks for posting this topic! I am very interested in doing this program! I have never heard of it but I will apply after I looked at the site. I am predental also and I hope we will get in!

Thats great!!! Definitely apply!! Where are you from?

Im from NC but originally from NY but living in DC for school and a little bit after!

Wait a sec this is MEDPREP not SMDEP. lol :confused: But I went through SMDEP at Howard in 2007 ;) lol. Did you mean MEDPREP?

How soon did u guys know u were eligible for an interview? I haven't heard anything but Layla said I was complete

Members don't see this ad :)
I am cycle 2 and so it will be a while until I hear from them. Did they give you any specifics? Any suggestions?

I am cycle 2 and so it will be a while until I hear from them. Did they give you any specifics? Any suggestions?

yes and unfortunately I did not get in. I heard back from them early December. Have you heard anything?

I just got invited to Admissions Day. Do you have any advice futuredds? I wanted to PM but for some reason, it wouldn't let me.

I just got invited to Admissions Day. Do you have any advice futuredds? I wanted to PM but for some reason, it wouldn't let me.

congrats! I would say just be your self in the interview and know why you want to do medicine or dentistry and they will also ask you what your strengths and weaknesses are. That's pretty much it. You also take an exam which you can't really study for but other than that everything was pretty straightforward.

congrats! I would say just be your self in the interview and know why you want to do medicine or dentistry and they will also ask you what your strengths and weaknesses are. That's pretty much it. You also take an exam which you can't really study for but other than that everything was pretty straightforward.

thanks a bunch futuredds! Would you say then that I am wasting my time by studying MCAT books for the exam? As far as the admissions process goes, do you know how many students they take? Thanks again!

Hey guys! I havent been here in a while but here is an update. I didnt apply for the SIU program since its is pricey but I am currently applying for the Hunter College postbacc certificate program for fall 2010/spring 2011 since it has a better cost, I can use federal aid and I have plenty of family to live with. My gpa will be low when I graduate this spring but im sure that 1.5 to 2 years in post bac and a great DAT will have me set for the next years cycle!

@Futuredds I'm predental and I applied and had an interview at Medprep. I'm waiting to hear back now. What did you decide to do since you weren't accepted to SIU?