Anyone interested in starting a diary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simisn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, what does it take for a person to start a diary on this site, like the medical students diary? Also, would any of you people who are starting optometry school soon be interested in doing this? I think it would help a lot of students who are thinking of optometry school for their future.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Simisn! I talked to the guys at MedSchool Diary to see if they wanted to link to and start Dental/Optometry/Nursing School Diaries.. and I got no response. So, if someone wants to set something like that up it would be all up to them. I'd love to write something like that.. but I don't have the technical knowledge to get a site like that up and keep it running. :( So, if anyone DOES have the resources to do that.. count me in to write! :)

I'd emailed them too, to find out more about it, and I didn't hear anything from them either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess what I could do.. is start a thread here on day one.. and chronicle my days in school. (as often as I can) I'm sure other OPT students might be willing to do the same. It wouldn't be as pretty as medschool diaries.. but it'd be functional :)

Abs1.. eyeguy.. would you guys be willing to contribute too? abs1 could do "a day in the life of a PCO first year" I could do "a day in the life of UHCO first year" and eyeguy could do "a day in the life of a UAB second year".

If anyone out there is technically motivated and would like to set up a page for us to post on... you'd be my new best friend :D :D

Otherwise.. we could just start REALLY long threads.. the kinds like the osteopathic kids have going for their class of 2005 meeting rooms for different COM's. Hmmmmmmmm

Me thinks it's doable.. what about you guys? ;)

Id be happy to help! :D

Whenever I get a chance Ill post something. :cool:

:D :) :D :) :D

I know that it would really help me out if you guys would start that. It would be great to be able to know what I can expect in another 3 years. Especially about life at UHCO. So I really hope that you guys will do it :D

Originally posted by Simisn:
•I know that it would really help me out if you guys would start that. It would be great to be able to know what I can expect in another 3 years. Especially about life at UHCO. So I really hope that you guys will do it :D

Well, I have orientation in about two months (aug. 16 and 17th) where they'll give me my class schedule. I'll get my second year buddy in a few days. Maybe I can talk him/her into posting as a UHCO second year. (that'll help ya out too Simisn) ;) I'll start posting on the first day of orientation and see how long I can keep the thread going. I guess we'd have to start seperate threads for questions relating to the diaries. (so it doesn't junk up the diary entries with questions) Hmmmmm Maybe my dad can help me set up a website.. he's a programmer and works for compaq. (a handy guy to have around) I can borrow one of his numerous computers as a server.... (can you guys see the hamster wheel spinning?) ;) I'll have a chat with my dad when I get back to Houston and see what I can come up with.

sure, i will do it. i will even try and keep it upbeat even though i have heard that second year is not so pretty. let me know the particulars and we shall set upon this project. it might be a new step for optometry. eyeguy ;)

hmm...if I have a chance, I know I have the webspace I might be able to help you in that regard... Hopefully I will have something set up for you guys by the time school starts. With the hetic time of year at work and the time off for a family wedding...it might take me that long to get it done..but I will see what I can do for you guys...

It'll give me an excuse to use the programs and skills I paid for when I thought I wanted to web design for a career :)

Cassandra

Or we could also ask Dr. Laura Windsor at futureoptometrist. She might be interested in it for enhancing her site....

Cassandra

Originally posted by Jubileee:
•Or we could also ask Dr. Laura Windsor at futureoptometrist. She might be interested in it for enhancing her site....

Cassandra•

oooo.. good idea Cassandra!!! Although, when I mentioned SDN on her site.. she deleted the post. (I guess cuz she saw it as an advertisement) So, do what you can and if you find you dont have the kind of availability needed to host a site.. we'll write to Dr. Laura :)
Thanks!
Christine :D

Okay.. I wrote to Dr. Laura Windsor on our behalf to see what she thought about hosting a diary site off futureoptometrist.com. if that doesnt pan out.. hopefully we can set something up with you, Cassandra, if you're game. I think this would be great if we could actually pull this off. That's great that you know some web design! :)
I'll let you know what Laura says when she writes back.. but in the meantime I guess we need to go ahead and start on it like we're going to set it up on your server (if you're okay with that)
Thanks again Cassandra! You're going to be a lifesaver if this all works out ! ;)

Starting a diary from an optometry student.... That would be an interesting read.... I'm sure it'll get more people in here....

Keep up the great postings .... this forum has gone a long way.... Lot's of luck for you folks!!! :D

I will take a look at things this weekend..I probably won't know much till Sunday night since my son has been at his dad's and now it is momma's weekend :)

I know I have a decent amount of webspace, since I am part of the @home network. I just need to think of how to set it up for easy access so those posting will have the ability to do so.. man it looks like I might have to look at some of those books I bought a couple of years ago to refresh the mind :eek:

At least I am putting it to use now :)

Cassandra

I'll have access to a digital camera so I can send you pictures to put on there. (or if you can find a way to let us post pictures on there) :) I'm sure students would love to see first hand the classrooms at different schools.. what the clinic's look like.. what the clinic lab's look like. All that good stuff (and what we look like for that matter) :D We'd need someplace for people to post questions about the entries..
This is going to be a rather large project.. you sure you're up for this Cassandra? ;)

Hey whatever happened to this idea? I don't know if you guys know this already or not, but you can start diaries at Ecitychat.com

As far as I know.. we haven't started anything. Cassandra was going to work on getting up a webpage.. but that was the last I heard. How's that going cassandra?

I'll check out Ecitychat.com as a backup plan though.. thanks Simisn ;)

I hopefully will be able to start it soon. Right now we are down to one machine and I don't get to use mine very often right now. I am also expecting a packet from macromedia with a new registration key in it for my student copy of Dreamweaver to set the site up.

Cassandra
who is wishing there was 48hrs in a day...

Do the best you can.. if it gets to be too much let us know. We can always set up accounts on ecitychat.com like simisn suggested. :) I sometimes wish there was 48 hours in a day too! But, right now I'm unemployed til classes start... and loving every minute of it!
;)

wow simisn, great job!!! hey where are you??