Please Help! Can I sign a job contract and back out before the starting date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramenqueen1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For context, I am a recent optometry grad and in Feb, I accepted a job offer and signed a contract/agreement with a corporate company in NC. My official start date on the contract is set for October, since I will not be licensed in the state until September-ish (the state board exam is August). However, I am working as a technician there during the summer to get a feel of the office and learning my way around. Now that I am here, there are many red flags. During my first week, the current optometrist openly told me she is leaving due to burnt out and frustrated with management not addressing her needs/concerns. Learning this has left me feeling blindsided and anxious. Also, I have to drive ~60miles one way to work everyday and it is already taking a toll on me. I thought I could handle it at first, but now realizing it is just not sustainable long term. The thought of driving to a job that sucks just makes that long commute feel even less worth it. I just don't know what to do. I am very stressed and cannot focus on studying for my exam.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree look at the contract you signed and there should be a opt out clause. Some contracts I've read make you pay rent up until you leave or pay for fill in coverage for any unworked days. Be up front and just tell them you're going in another direction.

60 miles to and from any job IMHO would be horrible long term. Also, there is no perfect job or patient base. Hopefully you can find a situation and boss/partner that shares your long term goals.

Best of luck.