1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

anyone interviewed at UT HOUSTON???

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by salivadrop, Feb 20, 2007.

1. salivadrop

salivadrop Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I really want to be in Houston for my residency, but my impression on interview day was pretty bad. I only got to talk to 1 resident throughout the entire day and at the dinner the night before. Interview day was long and disorganized. Anyone else have a more positive experience there? I'm not sure if it's a one time deal or if that's generally the case. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Lizard1

Lizard1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    much like UTSW, there was a political shakedown within the last yr.

my advice and what i would do looking back on everything: go wherever you like the city. you will get good training at 99% of the places so just make sure that you're happy with your surroundings. if you're a big city gal, don't go to Wake, etc....

Also, if you have an inkling of an idea where you might want to practice(where your family is or where your spouse's family is, where your spouses job is, etc...), do residency in that city so that you can make good contacts at meetings - lots of face-to-face contact.

3. burntcrispy

burntcrispy Member
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    My interview there last year was much the same as yours. UT Houston has been going throught alot of changes lately so a little disorganization is to be expected. Most of the residents I spoke with seemed to be happy.

4. dormicum

Well, my interview was not disorganized. It was very similar to the other large programs that I interviewed with. I met the residents the night before and had a really good time with them… I ran into about 5 or 6 of them there.

My over all impression is that this program is for adults who can manage their life and work without being spoon fed. For me this is great as I like that type of environment. For others that want more attention, it did not seem like the place you would want to be.

I agree with the above post… If you like Houston, then you will probably be happy there. All the residents I spoke to were very happy.

5. SUNSHINE3

Medical Student
    I interviewed there and did an away rotation there as well. I agree that the interview itself was pretty lack luster and unorganized, but after doing a month there it is pretty evident that it is a great program. The residents were all really happy and very nice, which speaks well of the program. The faculty were also very helpful and approachable. Plus Hermann Hospital is really awesome and that is where the vast majority of your time will be spent. Overall my impression is bad interview, but great program.

6. OP
    OP
    salivadrop

salivadrop Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you all your replies! it is very reassuring to hear good things about a program that I plan to rank very highly, especially from those who has actually rotated through there. I know this is a very last minute post right before the ROL deadline, I really should have done my homework earlier. It's just nice to hear the opinions of other interviewees. Please, if anyone else have anything to add, interviewees or current residents, continue to post. I have until 6PM tomorrow to change my rank list, and I plan to make full use of it!!!