Anyone just starting pre-pharm classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistysmoke

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, new here. I have been reading along and it seems that everyone is done with at least most of thier pre-pharmacy classes so I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that is just starting out?

I have a few math classes to get up to where I need to be, but, will be starting on the other requirements in the Fall at a community college. I'm a nontraditional student, with two kids so I am wondering how difficult all this will be to juggle. I am motivated and have the support of my family, so that helps.

I just thought I would see if there is anyone else that is just starting out. Thanks. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also a non-traditional student, minus the kids. I know quite a few who are in your situation though, and handled it well. This is a good forum to belong to, I wish I'd found it when I first started!

I just finished my pre-reqs, but wanted to wish you luck. :luck:

I rarely make guarantees, but if you can get A's in 90% of your classes at a JC (not that hard to do imo), you will be accepted somewhere! That is all.:D :D

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a degree in accounting and have worked for 7 years. I also have a toddler and am married. Recently, I have decided to ditch my career of crunching and massaging numbers to meet corporate goals and pursue a career in pharmacy.

I talked to a couple people who are either doing pre-pharmacy and in pharm school -- and they said that one science class and working full time will be too much to handle. Therefore, I have decided to quit my job this month as a senior financial analyst. I hope this is the right decision as it is a lot to give up.

I have a full-time job, OChem lecture, OChem Lab, and Microbiology with Lab and it's just fine. Busy, of course, but do-able.

It all depends on you if working and school is possible, a guy in my study group who is nontraditional, married with a toddler takes 2-3 science courses a term and works full time and he pulls As and Bs. He is a busy guy but is happy!

I have a 3 year old, a marriage, a house, and am starting school in the fall. I also worked full time during most of my undergrad, and I never worked less than 30 hours a week. It's possible, you just gotta be reaaaalllll motivated sometimes.

Oh, and my pre req GPA hovers around 3.8.

I only have a few done but i will be starting this fall to get an ass. degree in science which will knock out some. I also have a Daughter, I know this isn't going to be easy...it isn't suppose to be, just be motivated and know you can do it.

I only have a few classes taken, so I guess I'm almost starting out.

I started my pre-reqs 13 years after high school, with only a culinary degree in between. 13 years out of the classroom is a LONG time! I just plugged away at the pre-reqs. I was really uncertain about math, so I started with basic algebra and went on from there. (took 17 math credits in all to get through calculus)

It has now been three years. I finished my prereqs by taking classes every chance I got. It was too difiicult to work and juggle 5 classes a semester, so I would take 3 classes, then a summer class, then a really intense winter class after fall semester. It was really tough. Sometimes I would fall into depression just thinking about how many classes I had left to take. But three years is not a long time! It flew by and I start pharmacy school in August.

Stay with this network. There are some great people on here with terrific insight in the area of pharmacy.

You can do it!

I would say focus on school and your full time job will be your family. I have recently finished my undergrad. and will start pharm. school in the fall. I would say it's hard but doable. Like people have said try and get as many A's as possible don't settle for the b's or c's they dont help when you apply. It has gonen really competitve over the years to get in. I wish you the best of luck.

(User removed comment.)

Last edited:
My advice....apply for admissions into pharmacy school and forget community college transfer programs. From my experience, a majority of the CC credits are not transferred in and you have to take the courses over anyway.

This statement may be true for a very limited amount of pharmacy schools. I personally have researched Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas (8 schools) and all of them accept CC credits.

Hi,
I'm new to Pharmacy and to this forum.
I will be starting my pre-req's Spring 2008. I have a B.A is psych. with a 2.73 GPA :eek:

I will be quitting a well paying job to go to school full time so I hope it all works out. I'm married with 2 kids - as you may have guessed - I'm an older "non-traditional" student.

It can be quite scary making a decission like this especialy since there is no garauntee that you will be accepted to Pharmacy school after finishing your pre-req's.

I'm glad I found this forum.

Good luck too all of us just starting out!!!!:luck:

Hi,
I'm new to Pharmacy and to this forum.
I will be starting my pre-req's Spring 2008. I have a B.A is psych. with a 2.73 GPA :eek:

I will be quitting a well paying job to go to school full time so I hope it all works out. I'm married with 2 kids - as you may have guessed - I'm an older "non-traditional" student.

It can be quite scary making a decission like this especialy since there is no garauntee that you will be accepted to Pharmacy school after finishing your pre-req's.

I'm glad I found this forum.

Good luck too all of us just starting out!!!!:luck:

Yeah, doing prereqs with a wife and two kids is difficult, but it can be done, especially with a supportive family. My wife's been great. I've been going to school for 8 years with 12+ units for all but three sessions. Add to that working 8 hours a day except for when I had paternity leave, it's a wonder she's still okay with me doing it another four years during pharmacy school. I'm trying to figure out how I can keep my job and do pharmacy school, but it just doesn't seem possible. I'll probably just get a part time job in a pharmacy somewhere over the summer and try to do a few hours a week during school. As long as you maintain focus and know what your in for, it's definitely doable.

Keep in mind that because you are a nontraditional applicant, you have many life experiences which can work in your favor. If you plan well, you should be able to take advantage of that opportunity and make a real impact in your personal statements, your letters of recommendations, and your interviews. How well you do in your coursework will really test your mettle, but I know many schools accept school records from years past (a notable exception is UofMaryland, which requires certain classes to be taken in the past 5 years).

So keep it up =) It would also help if you do get some pharmacy experience so you can talk about why you want to go for a career change. Adcoms love that stuff =)