Anyone know a link to a list of (relatively) new US med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I know of the following schools of med:

Florida International University
Hofstra
Oakland

Any others?

Also, what is the general impression of these new medical schools?
And any concerns about attending a newer school of medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing. My copy of the MSAR doesn't have any data on them yet.

Btw...when does the new MSAR come out?

Hofstra
Oakland

Any others?

I can't comment on the others, but I know the general impression of Oakland from people who have visited/interviewed (myself included) is :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: plus a healthy dose of :love:

The "new school" stigma is not really an issue with them bc their clinical years are partnered with a health system that has been teaching med students forever.

I wouldn't worry about a new med school being risky though, LCME wouldn't give preliminary accreditation unless they're pretty confident the school has what it takes to be successful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment on the others, but I know the general impression of Oakland from people who have visited/interviewed (myself included) is :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: plus a healthy dose of :love:

The "new school" stigma is not really an issue with them bc their clinical years are partnered with a health system that has been teaching med students forever.

I wouldn't worry about a new med school being risky though, LCME wouldn't give preliminary accreditation unless they're pretty confident the school has what it takes to be successful.

Is Oakland a state school or a private one with heavy in state preference?

Is Oakland a state school or a private one with heavy in state preference?

Oakland University as a whole is a public state school, but the medical school is private with no in state preference. They told us this summer that for the first class last year interviews were 60% OOS, 40% IS and the acceptances from interview were the opposite. The class makeup is probably a lot of MI residents, but that'd be selection bias on the accepted peoples part.

Oakland University as a whole is a public state school, but the medical school is private with no in state preference. They told us this summer that for the first class last year interviews were 60% OOS, 40% IS and the acceptances from interview were the opposite. The class makeup is probably a lot of MI residents, but that'd be selection bias on the accepted peoples part.

That is good to know. I am an Indiana resident so Oakland may be a realistic option form me. I want to stay close so geography is important.

Hofstra
Oakland

Any others?

Here is good list of the US medical schools with age:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_Schools_in_the_United_States

Scroll to the very bottom for a list of announced but not open schools as well.

Might I add you would be well served to master Google before attempting medical school.