Anyone know anything about the University of Toledo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we have to rent a car from the airport? seriously? is there an alternative?

I always rent cars for my interviews. But then, I'm 29 so its easier for me than it is for most interviewees (under 25). And I'm flying in to Detroit, not Toledo. I couldn't imagine not having a car for interviews, but every interview I've been to a good number of my fellow interviewees have all relied on shuttle/taxis.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're flying into Toledo, I'd check to see if the Hilton by campus has a shuttle service, you'll be stuck close to campus but there are enough dining options within walking distance that you should be able to find something. If you're flying into DTW, you might as well rent a car, it's a long drive.

If you're flying into DTW, you might as well rent a car, it's a long drive.

Car is definitely cheapest. If you were thinking about a taxi, first look into a limo. I know that a few years ago, a limo from Toledo to Detroit was cheaper than a taxi. This might have changed with the recent increase in gas prices, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Car is definitely cheapest. If you were thinking about a taxi, first look into a limo. I know that a few years ago, a limo from Toledo to Detroit was cheaper than a taxi. This might have changed with the recent increase in gas prices, though.

I know you're local, but I'm trying to picture you rolling up to interviews in a limo. :laugh:

Hello all. I talked to UT today and they told me that everyone waiting for interview/rejection should hear within the next two weeks.

Good luck all.

If anyone was planning on coming to the Meet and Greet on Wednesday (3/26), please RSVP ASAP.

was that their version of Second Look? I never got an info about it.:(

no, this is a pre-interview in-formal meeting with students. We just got it going at the end of Feb...

oh. that would have been nice. by the way do you know if they are having a second look day at all this year?

I just heard from Toledo today...Alternate List. Thought my interviews went pretty good which makes this extra disappointing. I really liked Toledo and is definitely one of my top choices.

Starting to look like I have to think about fixing my PS one more time. :(

I just heard from Toledo today...Alternate List. Thought my interviews went pretty good which makes this extra disappointing. I really liked Toledo and is definitely one of my top choices.

Starting to look like I have to think about fixing my PS one more time. :(

Sorry to hear that man. Hang tight though, remember... I got in from off alt list. A lot of people drop acceptances in May.

So I have a scheduled interview at Toledo coming up but I'm not sure if I should go. i already got into Rush and love chicago. but the tuition at toledo would be a bit less expensive after 4 years. (we get in state tution after the first year, right?) so it would be $110,000 at toledo, but $160,000 at Rush. anyone have any thoughts? How does Toledo as a city compare to Chicago?

So I have a scheduled interview at Toledo coming up but I'm not sure if I should go. i already got into Rush and love chicago. but the tuition at toledo would be a bit less expensive after 4 years. (we get in state tution after the first year, right?) so it would be $110,000 at toledo, but $160,000 at Rush. anyone have any thoughts? How does Toledo as a city compare to Chicago?

Well, I'll plug Toledo as a school (M1 here). You do get in-state tuition after Year 1. As a city, Chicago will blow Toledo out of the water, but honestly I've barely seen anything other than my apartment or the school this year...

I'd suggest you come check us out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? Its not quite the last interview day, but almost....

I interviewed yesterday and really liked the school. They said we would have to wait 4-6 weeks for the results. :( That's much better than the 6 months I had to wait for VCU but I was hoping that since it is almost may it would be sooner. Oh well. Keeping my fingers crossed..... I hope I get in!!!!!

:( I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get moved up off the list.

I have an interview on April 21...i dont know if that is the last day or not?

They decided to add an extra interview date this year, so April 21 is the final date. If you see a bunch of really sleepy looking first years, don't be alarmed. We had a huge neuro exam yesterday and we will all be spending most of this weekend cramming for Monday's psych test. :luck: Good luck! :luck:

I interviewed yesterday and really liked the school. They said we would have to wait 4-6 weeks for the results. :( That's much better than the 6 months I had to wait for VCU but I was hoping that since it is almost may it would be sooner. Oh well. Keeping my fingers crossed..... I hope I get in!!!!!

Waiting is the worst. I hope you get some great news in a few weeks!! By the way - really cute picture.

Waiting is the worst. I hope you get some great news in a few weeks!! By the way - really cute picture.

I hope so too! I really enjoyed UT and would be thrilled to attend school there. My interviewers gave me really good feedback ("what can we do to get you to attend UT?"), but I know they don't have the ultimate say in if I am accepted or not. My interview scores will have to be really good to overcome my low uGPA.

Does anyone know if the acceptances/rejections come via email or snail mail?

I hope so to! I really enjoyed UT and would be thrilled to attend school there. My interviewers gave me really good feedback ("what can we do to get you to attend UT?"), but I know they don't have the ultimate say in if I am accepted or not. My interview scores will have to be really good to overcome my low uGPA.

Years past most stuff came via snail mail, but I think they were trying to move more communications to e-mail this year so I don't know, hopefully someone from this year's class can answer that one. I was pulled from the waitlist over the summer so I got a phone call (but they only start doing that later).

I can confirm that wait list letters come via snail mail. :( I'd imagine that rejections are handed out the same way. Great program though.

I can confirm that wait list letters come via snail mail. :( I'd imagine that rejections are handed out the same way. Great program though.

acceptances come via snail mail as well

Anyone got news?
I recieved an email about the 1 year Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences degree
from ut-com a few days ago. Is anyone on the alt. list going to apply?

I got the invite to apply to the biomedical master's program as well. I'm sure the only reason they sent it was because the deadline is coming up soon, but its kind of a downer when you see "We haven't made a decision on your file yet, but we think you should look at the master's program (hint, hint)". I'm sure everyone being reviewed after the master's program deadline got that email...but still... However, the email did indicate that I would be decided upon on April 30th, so that was nice to find out.

Depakote and others - do you think it would be okay to call them on May 1st to find out the April 30th decision or does UT make you wait for the snail mail?

Depakote and others - do you think it would be okay to call them on May 1st to find out the April 30th decision or does UT make you wait for the snail mail?

I checked the thread from last year. The ranking goes out via snail-mail, but it didn't go out until after May 15 last year. A couple of us called (after the 15th) and they were nice enough to give us our ranking.

I don't know if they're supposed to have the ranking done earlier this year, but it's entirely possible that they won't given the fact that they extended the interview season.

I am on the waitlist for Toledo, too. I'm trying to reconcile this:

Several people are saying to keep sending letters of interest/intent constantly to the admissions committee.

The alternate list letter I received explicitly states "Alternate candidates who are selected for admission generally do not receive acceptances before June 2008. Therefore it is not necessary to submit post-decision materials to the Office of Admissions." This reads like they are trying to discourage being inundated with letters which they suggest will not make any difference anyway.

I admit it is a bit cryptic. What exactly are "post-decision materials"? When exactly is it "post-decision"? Why on earth would they accept you and then not inform you until June?! By then I will have spent a lot of money on reapplication and application to SMPs.

It also seems a bit unfair to accept a few squeaky wheels over candidates who may not send such letters which, frankly do not add much to the applicant's materials anyway (they are padding). My first thought is that most intelligent members of the admissions committee can see right through them.

But I could be wrong! Do these things actually sway committee members? Am I interpreting their letter incorrectly? This is becoming neurotic, I know...but help me, O-Toledo, you are my only hope.

Gratuitous comedy.
[youtube]cpJOn5rgSFA[/youtube]

Is any other oos-er turned off by their oos tuition ~51,000/yr
I think I'd rather do DO and save myself $$$

Per a Toledo admissions rep (I believe it was director of admissions) in OH, candidates can gain residency after 1st year, (and pay instate tuition rate)

Thanks all for the great info, I'll definitely apply to Toledo this summer!

Per a Toledo admissions rep (I believe it was director of admissions) in OH, candidates can gain residency after 1st year, (and pay instate tuition rate)

Thanks all for the great info, I'll definitely apply to Toledo this summer!

My cynical mind assumes that the reason OOS tuition is so high compared to other state schools is so that they can get as much of it as possible from you the first year, before you become IS and start paying regular tuition. At other schools, your state status on your AMCAS application is permanent and determines what you will pay throughout your med school career, regardless of any change in status. So they have four years to collect the higher tuition.

Do these things actually sway committee members? Am I interpreting their letter incorrectly? This is becoming neurotic, I know...but help me, O-Toledo, you are my only hope.

I think the letters aren't necessarily meant to show that you've added a lot to your application - because really, how much can you do in six months that's meaningful? Moreso, they show that you're interested in the school. People who are interested in the school are more likely to matriculate.

I was concerned about that line in the waitlist letter at first, but then I called to see if it would be okay if I sent some stuff in and they said absolutely. I think I've sent 2 or 3 letters of interest since I was waitlisted in November.

I don't know if those letters help at all, but Toledo was the first school that I sent thank you notes to my interviewers (I really liked both of them!) and sent a LOI a week after interviewing and I just (today!) got direct admission to the class. Could easily just be a coincidence but I didn't get acceptances to any other MDs and I didn't send in anything post-interview at those other schools.

as a current Toledo M1, I recommend sending LOIs. I believe they helped me get in off the waitlist.

The waitlist does move, but it takes time for the multiple acceptances to sort themselves out after the May 15 deadline. That is why you don't see a ton of movement until June-July.

As for the out of state tuition, yeah, it's up there the first year, but you can get in-state residency after that (not hard to do, I'm doing it) and then you get the in-state rate.

so are banks willing to lend that much money for your first year??
since we're talking about 50+k + living cost, etc...
especially in the current financial troubles lots of banks have!

so are banks willing to lend that much money for your first year??
since we're talking about 50+k + living cost, etc...
especially in the current financial troubles lots of banks have!

I got that much (probably totaled 70k)

I don't see it being a problem. Banks like lending money to med students, low rate of default, good investment.

as a current Toledo M1, I recommend sending LOIs. I believe they helped me get in off the waitlist.

The waitlist does move, but it takes time for the multiple acceptances to sort themselves out after the May 15 deadline. That is why you don't see a ton of movement until June-July.

As for the out of state tuition, yeah, it's up there the first year, but you can get in-state residency after that (not hard to do, I'm doing it) and then you get the in-state rate.

So what does "it is not necessary to submit post-decision materials" mean?

I have since changed employment. I actually work at UTMC and took some UG classes last semester would it be worth it to send my updated transcripts and update my employment? I don't know why i just thought of this now.

I have since changed employment. I actually work at UTMC and took some UG classes last semester would it be worth it to send my updated transcripts and update my employment? I don't know why i just thought of this now.
I'm assuming you're on the waitlist?

my understanding is that they don't require new materials, I think it would be worthwhile to send an update/interest letter, the transcripts are probably unnecessary.

Yes I'm on the waitlist. I'll probaly send a letter of interest instead.

I got accepted through e-mail on 5/6/09. I am OOS and have a 3.68 and 29. I am still keeping my fingers crossed until I get the official package.

Last year I did not even receive an interview invitation. I called the admissions office and asked how I could improve my application. I followed the advice.

Don't give up. Get accepted on your own terms.