Anyone know anything about the University of Toledo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelnaisLacis

Political Animal
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an invite to interview there and I don't even know where Toledo is... Ohio right? The website is significantly lacking in any useful information. How do you fly to this place and how good of a school is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I don't know a whole lot about it either, but I have an interview there this thursday so I'll let you know what's up...I know some people who are from the area - it's in northern Ohio, maybe 45 mins to an hour south of Detroit MI...so maybe DTW could be a flying option...although I know Toledo does have an airport

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email today telling me that I have an interview there as well. Toledo is in northern Ohio at the Michigan/Ohio border. I've never seen the school either or know much about it (since, yeah, there website isn't very good) but it seems to be pretty average. I think it is primary care focused. Also, it doesn't receive a ton of funding but I think there are still ample opportunities to be involved in research.

Thanks for replying. I'd like to hear how your interview goes. Looks like I can connect through cinci or ord. Flying there from Salt Lake.

Since I said I'd comment...had my interview this morning...the current school is very new as they merged Medical University of Ohio and Toledo last year...therefore the medical campus is a separate area from the main U of Toledo campus (although med students still have access to all undergrad facilities on main campus and get free football tickets etc)...all the buildings (library, the 3 hospitals, basic sciences, fitness building, nursing etc) are connected either above or below ground...have a brand new clinical skills center for working with standardized patients/being critiqued and whatever...have a very nice official testing site on campus where board tests are taken (i guess people from other schools have to come here b/c there are not a lot of these things around)...school has fairly impressive match results, with several students going to top programs and competitive specialties (although board score average said to be right at national average)...there are research opportunities available, and this area is increasing every year....the students def seem to genuinely like the school, as do the faculty who seem all very friendly, and said to be extremely approachable/available....new dean has been driving school forward, apparently coming through with promised changes, hiring very distinguished faculty etc...overall a pretty nice school which seems to be headed in the right direction

The University of Toledo, formerly the Medical College of Ohio, is in NW Ohio. The city is a fairly nice size, with plenty of stuff to do in your free time as a med student. We have a nice zoo, great art museum, symphony, opera, plenty of bars and restaurants, sports (including the Mud Hens, made famous by MASH). We are on Lake Erie, so you can spend some time at the "beach" during warm months. We also have a very nice metropark system if you like the outdoors and running/bike trails. Another nice thing about Toledo's location is that we are 45 minutes from Detroit, 45 minutes from Windsor (Canada), 2 hours from Cleveland, 2.5 hours from Columbus, 4 hours from Chicago, 3.5 hours from Cincinnati, and a little under 4 hours from Pittsburgh. This makes for some very nice weekend getaways. Not to mention Cedar Point (#1 amusement park in the world) is a little over an hour away.

I am an MS1, but I can tell you what I know about the curriculum. First year is biochem, histology, anatomy, embryology, neurology and behavior. So second year is everything else – I think mostly organ systems and disease states. The profs really seem to communicate with each other about what they are teaching, so they don't just assume you know things and they also don't waste a lot of time reviewing the same concepts over and over. We are given lecture notes and objectives for each lecture. Lecture audio is available online and histology is entirely computer based. We have PBL every Wednesday morning. We use a computer program that simulates an actual patient interaction, so we have to ask the right questions and decide which lab tests are appropriate to order. I think it's a pretty cool format, because we won't just be handed the important information in real life.

"Foundations of Clinical Practice" is our touchy-feely doctor course that runs throughout the year. We have had patient panels talk about their experiences in healthcare, ethics discussions, etc. Included in that class are the standardized patient interviews. They certainly don't take it easy on us! My first interview was with a man who ended up talking about his sex life, and I was expecting it to be more "I have a stuffy nose and cough." We interview in a variety of formats. One day was a small group of students in the room, and we would interview a patient and then be critiqued by a moderator and classmates. The next time, we were 1-on-1 with the patient, but our interview was videotaped and we then evaluated the video of ourselves and a classmate. Our most recent was simply a 1-on-1 interview with instant feedback from the patient (our patients are also moderators for the course). The interviews take place in the clinical skills center in mock doctor's office rooms.

What else can I tell you…we have a class of about 160. Even though it is so large, we only have 4 students per cadaver. There are two special programs – MedStart and MSBS. With MedStart, students are guaranteed a seat with a good college performance (I think they apply just out of high school). MSBS is one of the special masters programs. The health science campus is also home to the graduate program, PA school, and nursing school. The pharmacy school on main campus is popular around here because they offer a 6 year (vs 8) program. The hospital just completed the new Orthopaedic Center and they have been in the process of renovating the research labs. They also have plans to move the pharmacy school from main campus to the health science campus in coming years.

Clinical years are mostly spent in Toledo, but rotations are available (and I think you must do at least one away rotation) in cities like Sandusky and Columbus. From what I have heard, medical students get more hands-on experience during MS3-4 that they may not get at a school with a much larger residency program, where they have to compete with all the residents. For example, my neighbor (MS3) held a heart during his cardiothoracic surgery rotation, instead of just standing back to watch. Even though the school doesn't have much name recognition yet, people have been able to do residencies in some really prestigious places. The match list is pretty solid (over 10 placed into radiology last year). I learned we are very strong in Sports Medicine, and some Olympic athletes have come to Toledo for care. Just a note: the school has a number of scholarships that they use for recruiting top students. And if you don't get one first year, they also give some to second year students who performed well in their first year.

There is a really nice dynamic on campus among students and students/administration. For example, the dean has monthly dinners with a small group of students to stay in touch with our issues. It seems like the administration really takes an interest in our opinions and tries to make the school better for everyone. Classes are graded on an H/HP/P/F basis, but cutoffs are percentage of answers correct, not a certain percent of the class. This means that if everyone scores 90+, then the entire class will get honors. Competition seems to have been eliminated (as much as it can be with people like us – there will always be some gunners). Students help each other out. We have our Block 1 final this coming week, covering something like 300 diseases, and one of my classmates posted her review sheet on our class wiki site. No cut-throat competitiveness.

So far, I have loved my time at UTCOM. It is really exciting to be at a school that is growing so much. If you have other questions, feel free to ask in this thread or send me a private message. I hope you like the school!

The website is significantly lacking in any useful information.
I've never seen the school either or know much about it (since, yeah, there website isn't very good)

Can you guys let me know what questions you couldn't get answered off the website? I am on the student council and can bring this issue up at our next meeting.

the current school is very new as they merged Medical University of Ohio and Toledo last year...
Clarification here: A few years ago, the school was the Medical College of Ohio. In order to merge with the University of Toledo, they had to spend a year as a university, hence the Medical University of Ohio. And now we are officially the University of Toledo College of Medicine. So some students enrolled at MCO, continued through MUO, and will graduate from UTCOM.

Does anyone know about how interviews are being given out at University of Toledo? I was complete 9/24 but haven't heard anything from them since. . .I was wondering if this was normal.

Does anyone know about how interviews are being given out at University of Toledo? I was complete 9/24 but haven't heard anything from them since. . .I was wondering if this was normal.

Well, last year they communicated via mail. I don't think they switched to e-mail this year, so it will probably take a little bit longer to hear about an invitation.

I got an email telling me that I was interviewing there and I could call and schedule or wait until a letter in the mail that they sent me arrives to call.

Thanks for the great info Abilene, I'll go over the website and give you some details that I think can be improved.

They send out a letter via snail mail and an e-mail stating that the invitation is on its way. If you're too impatient to wait for the letter and pick between several days (like me) and then mail it back to them, you can call them and schedule a date after receiving the e-mail. It's an interesting place from what I gathered while I was there.

1) How could you apply to a school and not know where it is?

2) Regardless of response to #1, since you don't know where it is, the chances you will like it there are very slim.

This is coming from someone who was born and raised in Toledo.

The school isn't bad though from what I hear. But the city...that is another story.

Members don't see this ad :)
The school isn't bad though from what I hear. But the city...that is another story.

I have spent most of my life in Toledo as well. People are just too pessimistic about the city and give it a bad reputation. Okay, Toledo is no San Francisco or New York City, but it's not like medical students have loads of free time to go out. There is plenty to keep us entertained here. And if you get bored, take some friends up to Ann Arbor for dinner and drinks – it's only 40 minutes away. People say Toledo has a ton of ghetto, but I don't know where that comes from. Downtown isn't the safest place in the world, but you will find that to be the case in any decent size city. There is a fairly large population of blue-collar workers, and you will find neighborhoods that reflect that, but I would hardly call it "ghetto." Besides, a lot of the students live west of the university about 10-15 minutes, closer to the nice, very safe suburbs like Holland and Sylvania.

After a test, my class meets at a bar to celebrate. We are usually joined by a good number of MS2s and we fill the place up. One bar has karaoke Tuesdays, and I have seen a lot of my friends get up on the stage and lose their inhibitions. If you're not big into the sports bar scene, there are some more upscale bars with nice wine/martini menus. If you want to go to tastings, try the Andersons, Churchill's, Vino 100, or Diva's. Take an occasional cooking class at Williams-Sonoma in the newly renovated mall. Toledoans like to eat, and we have a ton of restaurants. Some of my classmates just created a Restaurant Club, and they have started to rotate around the city to try out a bunch of the places. We may not have the almighty Red Sox, but Mud Hens games are fun and the crowd loves their team. A bunch of my friends go to the UT football games. UTCOM students have been regularly playing ultimate frisbee and soccer since August. One of the professors (and the guy has got to be in his 70s) played soccer with the group a bunch of times. Medical students have access to the rec centers on both the health science campus and main campus, in addition to the YMCAs around town. My friends have participated in marathons, some take spinning class in the mornings, yoga is offered on campus Wednesday afternoons. I am planning to go to the opera in a few weeks. The university gave out discounted tickets to some traveling cirque de soleil kind of thing. Joshua Bell (famous violinist) is coming here in January. If you like techno, Armin van Buuren and Benni Benassi are playing in Detroit. I went apple-picking with some girls in the class. People are going to the pumpkin carving, hay ride, corn maze farms just outside the city to celebrate the fall. The tall ships do their annual tour of the Great Lakes and dock in Toledo. You get the point.

If you NEED the constant action of a big city to be happy, you will find this is not the place for you. But if you are a normal medical student who studies most of the time and just wants to have a bit of fun on the weekend (even if it isn't Broadway), you will be perfectly happy in Toledo.

I have spent most of my life in Toledo as well. People are just too pessimistic about the city and give it a bad reputation. Okay, Toledo is no San Francisco or New York City, but it's not like medical students have loads of free time to go out. There is plenty to keep us entertained here. And if you get bored, take some friends up to Ann Arbor for dinner and drinks – it's only 40 minutes away. People say Toledo has a ton of ghetto, but I don't know where that comes from. Downtown isn't the safest place in the world, but you will find that to be the case in any decent size city. There is a fairly large population of blue-collar workers, and you will find neighborhoods that reflect that, but I would hardly call it "ghetto." Besides, a lot of the students live west of the university about 10-15 minutes, closer to the nice, very safe suburbs like Holland and Sylvania.

After a test, my class meets at a bar to celebrate. We are usually joined by a good number of MS2s and we fill the place up. One bar has karaoke Tuesdays, and I have seen a lot of my friends get up on the stage and lose their inhibitions. If you're not big into the sports bar scene, there are some more upscale bars with nice wine/martini menus. If you want to go to tastings, try the Andersons, Churchill's, Vino 100, or Diva's. Take an occasional cooking class at Williams-Sonoma in the newly renovated mall. Toledoans like to eat, and we have a ton of restaurants. Some of my classmates just created a Restaurant Club, and they have started to rotate around the city to try out a bunch of the places. We may not have the almighty Red Sox, but Mud Hens games are fun and the crowd loves their team. A bunch of my friends go to the UT football games. UTCOM students have been regularly playing ultimate frisbee and soccer since August. One of the professors (and the guy has got to be in his 70s) played soccer with the group a bunch of times. Medical students have access to the rec centers on both the health science campus and main campus, in addition to the YMCAs around town. My friends have participated in marathons, some take spinning class in the mornings, yoga is offered on campus Wednesday afternoons. I am planning to go to the opera in a few weeks. The university gave out discounted tickets to some traveling cirque de soleil kind of thing. Joshua Bell (famous violinist) is coming here in January. If you like techno, Armin van Buuren and Benni Benassi are playing in Detroit. I went apple-picking with some girls in the class. People are going to the pumpkin carving, hay ride, corn maze farms just outside the city to celebrate the fall. The tall ships do their annual tour of the Great Lakes and dock in Toledo. You get the point.

If you NEED the constant action of a big city to be happy, you will find this is not the place for you. But if you are a normal medical student who studies most of the time and just wants to have a bit of fun on the weekend (even if it isn't Broadway), you will be perfectly happy in Toledo.

I guess the whole "there are no boring things, just boring people" saying holds true. That being said, I hope Toledo gives me an interview. Thanks for all the info.

Why would you apply to a school without knowing where it is or anything about it? That seems odd.

Why would you apply to a school without knowing where it is or anything about it? That seems odd.

Probably due to MSAR... On a positive note, I heard a Starbucks opened in Toledo recently! (My cousin is a M3 at MCO/MUO/UTCOM)

Probably due to MSAR... On a positive note, I heard a Starbucks opened in Toledo recently! (My cousin is a M3 at MCO/MUO/UTCOM)

If you're into Starbucks there are several in Toledo.......but you'll quickly learn that Toledo is dominated by Beaners, which is superior to Starbucks in every way. :D

you'll quickly learn that Toledo is dominated by Beaners, which is superior to Starbucks in every way.

I think the lame PC people are making Beaners change their name :(

Can you guys let me know what questions you couldn't get answered off the website? I am on the student council and can bring this issue up at our next meeting.

Clarification here: A few years ago, the school was the Medical College of Ohio. In order to merge with the University of Toledo, they had to spend a year as a university, hence the Medical University of Ohio. And now we are officially the University of Toledo College of Medicine. So some students enrolled at MCO, continued through MUO, and will graduate from UTCOM.
Some of links that didn't work for me earlier in the year (mostly on the Fin. Aid page) are working now. Some things that I can't find though is info about student research oppurtunities or research at the university in general.

I think Beaner's is changing it's name to Biggsby's or something (dumb) like that.

After a test, my class meets at a bar to celebrate. We are usually joined by a good number of MS2s and we fill the place up. One bar has karaoke Tuesdays, and I have seen a lot of my friends get up on the stage and lose their inhibitions. If you’re not big into the sports bar scene, there are some more upscale bars with nice wine/martini menus. If you want to go to tastings, try the Andersons, Churchill’s, Vino 100, or Diva’s. Take an occasional cooking class at Williams-Sonoma in the newly renovated mall. Toledoans like to eat, and we have a ton of restaurants. Some of my classmates just created a Restaurant Club, and they have started to rotate around the city to try out a bunch of the places. We may not have the almighty Red Sox, but Mud Hens games are fun and the crowd loves their team. A bunch of my friends go to the UT football games. UTCOM students have been regularly playing ultimate frisbee and soccer since August. One of the professors (and the guy has got to be in his 70s) played soccer with the group a bunch of times. Medical students have access to the rec centers on both the health science campus and main campus, in addition to the YMCAs around town. My friends have participated in marathons, some take spinning class in the mornings, yoga is offered on campus Wednesday afternoons. I am planning to go to the opera in a few weeks. The university gave out discounted tickets to some traveling cirque de soleil kind of thing. Joshua Bell (famous violinist) is coming here in January. If you like techno, Armin van Buuren and Benni Benassi are playing in Detroit. I went apple-picking with some girls in the class. People are going to the pumpkin carving, hay ride, corn maze farms just outside the city to celebrate the fall. The tall ships do their annual tour of the Great Lakes and dock in Toledo. You get the point.

If you NEED the constant action of a big city to be happy, you will find this is not the place for you. But if you are a normal medical student who studies most of the time and just wants to have a bit of fun on the weekend (even if it isn’t Broadway), you will be perfectly happy in Toledo.

I would know nothing about the karaoke or ultimate frisbee. ;)

Seriously, it's a great school... the faculty and staff are very responsive to the student's needs. I really can't add anything to what Abilene85 said, she really covered it all.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread, but feel free to PM with specific questions.

Anyone know how long it usually takes to get a decision from UT? They said 4-6 weeks at my interview this morning, but it seems most schools have a quicker turn around time.

ps - I heart this school.

1) How could you apply to a school and not know where it is?

2) Regardless of response to #1, since you don't know where it is, the chances you will like it there are very slim.

This is coming from someone who was born and raised in Toledo.

re:1... Last year I was wait listed at 5 schools and didn't get in. This year I looked through MSAR and made a list of all the schools that had reasonalbe OOS acceptance rates and which I met the minimum stat requirements.

re:2... I didn't think I would like NYC much, but when I interviewed at Columbia, I found that I liked the city, same goes for Penn State and Hershey, PA. Further, I interviewed at GWU and hated the school but I love DC.

re:Toledo... Honestly, Klinger is my only source of information :laugh::laugh:

I'll go over the website again and give some feedback. Thanks for the information though. I was hoping to get an acceptance elsewhere so I could skip this interview, but with all the good things being said about the school I think I should at least check it out in person now.

has anyone gotten an interview invite from university of toledo today?

Forget the university - has anyone been in/volunteered at or know about The Toledo Hospital??

I grew up outside the Toledo area. The school has a strong reputation throughout the state. The city has a larger town atmosphere, but is a nice place to live. Cleveland is about 2 hours away, Detroit about an hour. There is a small, but serviceable airport with a number of different airlines. If you got an interview, it would be worth the trip.

When? I can pass along some tips, if they told you who your interviewers are.

Dec 6th... they didn't tell me who my interviewers are. Do they usually? Should I ask? Can you give me tips anyway? :)

What do you want to know?

Any kind of stats about their emergency department: How many physicians work there, what kind of patients get treated there (typically), what kind of shifts do they have, is it a private practice, is their parking free (lol), or ANYTHING else you can think of?

And if you've been there as a patient - how would you describe the care/service/hospitality/experience, etc.
Or as a volunteer - how is the general atmosphere? what kind of physicians (personalities) work there? how's the technology? and so on

Basically ANY information. I'm really interested in this hospital, but I can't find much info about it online. (And, yes, I checked ProMedica's website).

Dec 6th... they didn't tell me who my interviewers are. Do they usually? Should I ask? Can you give me tips anyway? :)

You usually find out the day of the interview. Ask your student guides for dirt on your interviewers when you're there... They still have Yr 2's giving the tours, they know most of the interviewers and are happy to tell you about your interviewers.

I'd check the interview feedback for specifics, but my interviews were nice and low stress.

Last year (don't know if they have it this year), there were two required ethical questions that the interviewer had to ask, but they weren't too bad.

What was key for me, don't take an atypical interview as a bad sign. I had a clinical interviewer that was busy that day. I had to wait... then he drove me to the imaging center (down the street) and he interviewed me. I stayed there and he read films since he didn't have a chance to drive me back. It was definitely the strangest interview I had since I wound up shadowing him for about a half hour afterward, but it really worked out well and I got in...

Just stay relaxed and ask lots of questions (to students, interviewers, everybody...)

good luck.

i interviewed a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by the school. It's really pretty and seems to be very student-oriented with genuinely happy looking students.

the whole waiting 4-6 weeks thing sucks.

i interviewed a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by the school. It's really pretty and seems to be very student-oriented with genuinely happy looking students.

I couldn't ask for a more supportive school. I've only been here since August and I already feel like the administration has been responsive to my needs and is looking out for my wellbeing, more so than any other institution I've been to.

fyi, I did get a couple ethics questions (my interviewer was obviously reading them off of a sheet) but nothing too difficult. And yes, parking is free on the campus (which is awesome considering how much I paid in undergrad). I also really liked the way grading is done. My interview was last week and I really really really hope I get accepted. I loved the whole experience.

Anyone know if the 4-6 week wait is accurate?

And if you've been there as a patient - how would you describe the care/service/hospitality/experience, etc.
Or as a volunteer - how is the general atmosphere? what kind of physicians (personalities) work there? how's the technology? and so on

Never been a patient at the hospital, but my GP is a graduate and she is awesome - great clinician and very friendly and attentive. I did volunteer at the hospital for a bit when I was in college. While I met some of the stereotypical physician egos, all the docs were very excited to teach (even a lowly pre-med). Even though the hospital isn’t huge, we definitely stay up-to-date with technology. A huge chunk of money was put into the radiology department recently. I believe all films are now online, and can be accessed from any place on (and I think off) campus. The hospital also has the cool new 3D CT program that allows you to cut away parts of the body to see underlying structures better.

fyi, I did get a couple ethics questions (my interviewer was obviously reading them off of a sheet) but nothing too difficult. And yes, parking is free on the campus (which is awesome considering how much I paid in undergrad). I also really liked the way grading is done. My interview was last week and I really really really hope I get accepted. I loved the whole experience.

Anyone know if the 4-6 week wait is accurate?

yeah. one of my interviewers pulled out a sheet of paper very reluctantly and read off two obviously scripted ethical questions. i found it pretty amusing. :laugh:

i think on my interview day, they said 4 weeks. that gives me another 2 to go!

They normally don't say who the interviewers are, but since we have a new Assistant Dean of Admissions, I was wondering if that had changed.

As for tips, just relax. That was the one thing that really set my interview at UT apart from my other med school interviews- by virtue of doing my MS here, I knew my way around, and knew the interviewers through various classes. Knowing them was a huge plus, as it helped me relax.

Plan out where you're staying now, and ask away if you need recommendations.

If they give you some time to wander around (which is normal), take it and talk to students. I know I'm always open to questions. ;) It's a very relaxed atmosphere- by virtue of not having competitive grading, the strain of competition is gone, and students are pretty easygoing.

Thank you! :) I'm looking forward to it. It sounds like a great school.

They had 7 peeps matching rads last year?

Looks like Toledo just moved up on my list

I was also pleasantly surprised when I interviewed at UT. Also, after having lived on the East Coast for 3+ years now, I'm super excited about moving back to the midwest and living in a nice apartment on the cheap.

As far as interview day goes, they didn't tell us who our interviewers were until we got to the school for the interview day. And yes, they are big on the ethical questions.

Just for a little anecdote on how long it takes to get a decision, I interviewed on the 1st day of interview season (10/1) and got my acceptance letter 10/27. Oh, and you'll probably know when you're going to get news because a couple days before my letter came, I got an e-mail from AMCAS saying they were going to run a background check (UT is one of the schools participating in the background check pilot program.).

Never been a patient at the hospital, but my GP is a graduate and she is awesome - great clinician and very friendly and attentive. I did volunteer at the hospital for a bit when I was in college. While I met some of the stereotypical physician egos, all the docs were very excited to teach (even a lowly pre-med). Even though the hospital isn’t huge, we definitely stay up-to-date with technology. A huge chunk of money was put into the radiology department recently. I believe all films are now online, and can be accessed from any place on (and I think off) campus. The hospital also has the cool new 3D CT program that allows you to cut away parts of the body to see underlying structures better.

Thank you for responding - I truly appreciate it ;)

I got an e-mail from AMCAS saying they were going to run a background check (UT is one of the schools participating in the background check pilot program.).

Our histo professor (also the new assistant dean of admissions) mentioned that background checks are becoming more and more common and more and more invasive. He said that we can expect to have 3-4 background checks run on us by the end of our residency.

I actually heard back in about twenty days :) I had an interview on October 11th and heard back on October 31. I really liked the school when I visited!

Unless they've changed things this year, the admissions committee meets every other Tuesday to discuss the previous two weeks interviewees. UT interviews two days per week with 8 or so people at each, so they review 30-35 applicants at each meeting. If you get lucky and interview on the Monday before that Tuesday review then you could hear in a couple weeks probably. If you happen to interview the Thursday following a review you could wait a month or more before hearing.

Is any other oos-er turned off by their oos tuition ~51,000/yr
I think I'd rather do DO and save myself $$$

Is any other oos-er turned off by their oos tuition ~51,000/yr
I think I'd rather do DO and save myself $$$

Even as an in-stater, I was slightly horrified by our OOS tuition. But all my OOS friends are becoming Ohio residents, so next year their tuition will be halved. At least cost of living isn't too bad around here. Many of my OOS friends are coming from big cities - New York, LA, San Francisco - and they think our rent (running about $500-700 for a single apartment) is super cheap.