Anyone know of any studies looking at long-term mortality with anti-depressants or mood stabilizers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nighthawk2551

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I've been reading studies like the FIN11 study (11-year follow-up of mortality in patients with schizophrenia: a population-based cohort study (FIN11 study). - PubMed - NCBI) and this one (Antipsychotic Treatment and Mortality in Schizophrenia), both of which show a mortality benefit of antipsychotic treatment in patients with schizophrenia compared to no antipsychotic.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any references looking at long-term mortality of patients with depression treated with anti-depressants, or patients with bipolar treated with mood stabilizers. I know lithium has shown benefit in suicide, but don't know if this translates to an actual long term mortality benefit. Anecdotally I've heard there is no mortality benefit for either, but haven't seen the evidence. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.