Anyone know the answer to this question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mauricio45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The most likely cause of a cavernous sinus thrombosis is a periradicular abscess of a maxillary:

1) Central Incisor
2) Second premolar
3) 1st molar
4) Third molar

I can't seem to find answer anywhere. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The most likely cause of a cavernous sinus thrombosis is a periradicular abscess of a maxillary:

1) Central Incisor
2) Second premolar
3) 1st molar
4) Third molar

I can't seem to find answer anywhere. Thanks.
I would probably say the central incisor. I tried to Google this and every picture I found was near the maxillary incisor. I believe the incisor is closest to the facial sinus therefore being an avenue for infection, etc., to set in and lead to cavernous sinus thrombosis if untreated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably say the central incisor. I tried to Google this and every picture I found was near the maxillary incisor. I believe the incisor is closest to the facial sinus therefore being an avenue for infection, etc., to set in and lead to cavernous sinus thrombosis if untreated.

Hi, thanks for responding. I went through this document: http://www.dhed.net/Spread_of_Dental_Infection2.pdf. On the third page (figure 5), it looks like it's also close to the third molar which I thought was the answer. But the veins look close to the central incisors as well. Arghh, so frustrating to find the answer for this question, lol.

Hi, thanks for responding. I went through this document: http://www.dhed.net/Spread_of_Dental_Infection2.pdf. On the third page (figure 5), it looks like it's also close to the third molar which I thought was the answer. But the veins look close to the central incisors as well. Arghh, so frustrating to find the answer for this question, lol.
I will try again as well. I am going to take a look in my Oral Surgery textbook.

I will try again as well. I am going to take a look in my Oral Surgery textbook.

Thanks! I have another question as well:

A 4 year old child presents with a history of trauma and an asymptomatic discoloured primary maxillary left incisor. A periapical radiograph reveals no abnormalities. The most appropriate management is a/an

A. regular recall for observation. 

B.pulpotomy. 

C.pulpectomy. 

D. extraction. 

I've narrowed it down to D or C. What do you think?

Thanks! I have another question as well:

A 4 year old child presents with a history of trauma and an asymptomatic discoloured primary maxillary left incisor. A periapical radiograph reveals no abnormalities. The most appropriate management is a/an

A. regular recall for observation. 

B.pulpotomy. 

C.pulpectomy. 

D. extraction. 

I've narrowed it down to D or C. What do you think?
I would have chosen A due to the fact that the key word is asymptomatic, no abnormalities on radiograph and the patient will soon lose the incisor due to age.