Anyone know these schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ontario Universities

• Total voters

TheAdmin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am a student in Canada.

Just wondering if you guys know any of these schools?

University of Toronto
University of Waterloo
University of Western Ontario
McMaster University
McGill University
Queens University

These are schools in eastern Canada. I am just curious as to how many people in the US actually know schools in Canada

Also let us know if you think any of these schools are well known in the US.

Jess

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
FYI: McGill is in Quebec, not Ontario.

UofT, McGill, and McMaster are definitely the most well-known in terms of medicine in Canada and abroad.

U of T and Mcgill are the well known ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard of McGill and McMaster.

Wow so I guess University of Waterloo and Western Ontario isn't very well known in the states. I thought Waterloo was very well known because of the company RIM, the makers of the Blackberry.

Also I thought U o T would be more popular than McGill

Wow so I guess University of Waterloo and Western Ontario isn't very well known in the states. I thought Waterloo was very well known because of the company RIM, the makers of the Blackberry.

Also I thought U o T would be more popular than McGill

this is news to me. i don't know where my phone was made/conceptualized. i don't know how many people would care to think too deeply about where theirs was made, either :shrug:. the only waterloo i know of involves napoleon, sorry. the only school on that list that i've heard of was mcgill, and it wasn't until recently, like this last app cycle.

I think McMaster is most well know for their 3 yr. MD program, wish we had those!

I actually wanted to apply to University of Toronto but I would be an "international applicant" (very limited spots) so why would they pick someone right across the lake when they have the entire world to choose from. So, I didn't.

Where is the option for "no"

I thought Waterloo was very well known because of the company RIM, the makers of the Blackberry.
Haha, Waterloo is the only choice on your list that I hadn't ever heard of.

The better question would have been how many people had heard of McGill before House MD came out! (I hadn't)

The better question would have been how many people had heard of McGill before House MD came out! (I hadn't)

i love house but i managed to find out about mcgill through sdn. in what context was it mentioned on the show?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a friend from high school go to McGill. So when I was 18 and a senior in HS I would alway go visit them and party my ass off (gotta love that drinking age). I've also heard of Toronto. But to be fair when I lived in Michigan I traveled to TO a lot to chill.

I actually know all of those, probably because I have relatives in GTA and a lot friends from Montreal -- I even considered applying to Western, McMaster and UofT.

And, FWIW:
I think Wilson went there (or atleast wears sweatshirts from there)

Yup, Wilson went there for undergrad.

I know a doctor that graduated from U of T with a MD/pHD. And McGill from house :D

Strangely I know all of them. McGill and UT are probably the most popular. Waterloo, McMaster and Queens all have great repuations. Western Ontario was sort of the oddball on the list (but I do know it), though of the list it's the school I could tell you the least about other than it exists.

Hey everyone. I am a student in Canada.

Just wondering if you guys know any of these schools?

University of Toronto
University of Waterloo
University of Western Ontario
McMaster University
McGill University
Queens University

These are schools in eastern Canada. I am just curious as to how many people in the US actually know schools in Canada

Also let us know if you think any of these schools are well known in the US.

Jess

i'm an american that went to mcgill.. met kids from all over the US from LA to TX to NY... so its got some name recognition, and its growing

I've heard of all of them, but I didn't check off Western Ontario or Queens because I know little about them other than their names. McGill and Toronto are the ones most recognized in the US. Waterloo is known for engineering IIRC.

i'm an american that went to mcgill.. met kids from all over the US from LA to TX to NY... so its got some name recognition, and its growing

I definitely know tons of people from outside of Canada who think McGill is amazing. Don't think I've ever heard a non-Canadian (other than peeps on SDN) mentioning U of Toronto.

It's Canada ... no one cares about Canada ... lol. I kid, I kid. An MD is an MD I hear even ones from Canada :smuggrin: