Anyone know this ER doc, turned crystal meth dealer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"MIAMI – Carlton Cash (49, Fort Lauderdale, Florida) was sentenced to ten years in prison for distributing crystal methamphetamine...Cash had worked as an emergency room physician until 2014, when he was declared disabled...Cash was receiving $15,000 each month in disability payments when..."

Members don't see this ad.

wtf...was $15k a month in passive income not enough? That's more than what i'm aiming for to become financially independent!

Freaking breaking bad wanna be...

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Also Florida is weird, Florida man weirder still...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UAB alumni
Roll tide lol

Reactions: 1 users
Sadly no, though it seems he was based just a few miles from my hospital.

I really do wonder what lead to this situation though. From the looks of the guy, and the description in the article, my guess:

Car accident —> hooked on pain pills —> addiction cycle eventually leads to “disability” —> addiction spiral worsens, moves to street drugs —> somehow burns $15k/month, ends up in a hole —> attempts to meth deal his way out of the hole.

I really do wonder what lead to this situation though. From the looks of the guy, and the description in the article, my guess:

Car accident —> hooked on pain pills —> addiction cycle eventually leads to “disability” —> addiction spiral worsens, moves to street drugs —> somehow burns $15k/month, ends up in a hole —> attempts to meth deal his way out of the hole.

From my experience delivering healthcare in a state prison, I can say I have seen your theory happen many, many times, to many, many professionals. Sad!

• Wow
Speaking of "Florida Man", found this meme (transposed, because I'm not going to find it again and post the .jpeg)

If video game heroes lived in the USA:

Mario is from New York (Italian, Plumber)
Sonic is from California (Snarky, too cool for you)
Crash Bandicoot is from Florida (High on bath salts, screaming)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
72B0D3FF-695B-452D-9D47-568BA6D952F8.jpeg

Imagine this dude coming at you to do a rectal. I’d need like 5 chaperones.

Actually, one of the guys that used to work with us turned out to be a drug lord who had a hell of a lot bigger stash than this guy. Just never know with people.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
One of the locums guys I worked with in TX lived in Colombia and was found murdered in his room a couple years ago...

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was buying Sudafed in a small TX town. Started chatting with the pharmacist who casually dropped that the chief of staff of the local hospital burned down his house MULTIPLE TIMES in separate meth lab explosions.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
His affect is inappropriate.

View attachment 333410
Imagine this dude coming at you to do a rectal. I’d need like 5 chaperones.

Actually, one of the guys that used to work with us turned out to be a drug lord who had a hell of a lot bigger stash than this guy. Just never know with people.

This guy used to work at BOTH of the places I've worked down here. Burned out of both. But he was before my time at both, so I'd only ever heard the name bandied about.

Now with that said, I was going to post the above picture. But let me make this even spookier...... this is his before picture.
DRJ2X4PT55AMPO2Q6DAANBDWZI.jpg

lesson: Don't do meth unless you want to become a psychotic redneck Mr T.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
This guy used to work at BOTH of the places I've worked down here. Burned out of both. But he was before my time at both, so I'd only ever heard the name bandied about.

Now with that said, I was going to post the above picture. But let me make this even spookier...... this is his before picture.
View attachment 333457
lesson: Don't do meth unless you want to become a psychotic redneck Mr T.
Why the ‘stache, though? Just...why?

You don't know him, but you may know his work in the form of meth-induced psychosis

So what does one have to do to actually get full disability pay?

The vast majority of EPs are not earning anywhere close to triple that amount. Especially not these days.

So what does one have to do to actually get full disability pay?
It depends on your policy wording. But if you have an own occupation policy, you only have to be unable to practice your speciality, even if able to work any other job. It sounds like he had such a policy and therefore will have $1.5 million waiting for him when he gets out (minus taxes if a pre-tax group benefit).

Most policies cover you for 60% of your salary. However, if like me you had an individual policy (60%) in place before you got a group policy (60%) then you may be covered for up to 120% if disabled.

So please, someone cut the tip of my left thumb off. Please!

• Haha
  • Wow
Yeah I bought an Own Occ. Ill take Fibromyalgia behind #1

• Haha
The vast majority of EPs are not earning anywhere close to triple that amount. Especially not these days.
And, disability payments are tax free. So $15k/month is equivalent to about $25K pre-tax, or about what the average EP makes.

And, disability payments are tax free. So $15k/month is equivalent to about $25K pre-tax, or about what the average EP makes.
Only the disability paid with after tax dollars. The pre-tax disability premiums paid through work are pre-tax dollars coming to you.

Only the disability paid with after tax dollars. The pre-tax disability premiums paid through work are pre-tax dollars coming to you.
That’s my understanding. also. I have one policy through my group, bought with pre-tax dollars. I’m told that would pay out . The other policy I pay for with post-tax dollars, would pay out tax free (I got this one during fellowship and kept).

Pay the tax either before buying or after payout, but not truly tax free. At least that’s what I’ve been told.

Yes, I was assuming a personal DI policy paid with after tax dollars, as it’s foolish to expense premiums on a personal policy. But, group pre-tax policy is a different animal.

In broward (more so) and Miami Dade (less so) we are. But its definitely a YMMV even within those counties. i just happened to have worked at two places he used to work at.

In broward (more so) and Miami Dade (less so) we are. But its definitely a YMMV even within those counties. i just happened to have worked at two places he used to work at.
15kx3 =45k per month, $540k per year. Are you for real?

15kx3 =45k per month, $540k per year. Are you for real?

I dont know why my brain mentally did that math as 35k. I'm not good at math before I get caffeine on my shift.

I did that math slightly wrong for broward, they would have been above the 35k mark though and its fully standard expected pay there. But yes for Miami-Dade. It is more unique to just a few high paying inner city spots though for miami-dade. Its why I moved from broward to dade. Its also why my CMG wants to cut our pay starting in July :rofl:

I dont know why my brain mentally did that math as 35k. I'm not good at math before I get caffeine on my shift.

I did that math slightly wrong for broward, they would have been above the 35k mark though and its fully standard expected pay there. But yes for Miami-Dade. It is more unique to just a few high paying inner city spots though for miami-dade. Its why I moved from broward to dade. Its also why my CMG wants to cut our pay starting in July :rofl:

Not saying you’re lying but this has not been my experience looking for jobs there in the area the last several years. I found around $200/hour, plus incentive bonuses of $20/hour for bogus metrics, for IC status at HCA sites. For TH it was like $220-230/hour IC without incentive BS. There may have been 1 or 2 sites in inner city Miami-Dade paying like $260/hour but they were clearly subpar working conditions. This has been from like 2015 to current. Do people down there routinely work 160+ hours per month or did I miss something all these years? I found 2 unicorn SDGs but they were never hiring anyone without connections.

Last edited:
Not saying you’re lying but this has not been my experience looking for jobs there in the area the last several years. I found around $210-230/hour, typically including incentive bonuses making up like $20/hour so if you missed those you don’t get it, for IC status at HCA sites. For TH it was like $220/hour IC without incentive BS. There may have been 1 or 2 sites in inner city Miami-Dade paying like $260/hour but they were clearly subpar working conditions. This has been from like 2015 to current. Do people down there work 160+ hours per month?

First job was about 15 shifts a month at 11 hours per shift and it was incentive based but the place is high functioning and if you didn't hit 3/3 incentives every month you were basically not trying because we could all do it with minimal effort. So we would end up getting around 235 an hour on a normal month. I did have some serious issues with how the RVU money divided up (the boss and a few other people would get a tremendous amount more than 235 an hour) but that's neither here nor there. Do the math for 15 shifts and you get 38+k a month. I will say this: the 235 an hour I'm quoting is a simplification of an insanely complex situation where some months you'd get like 210 and some months you'd get the equivalent of like 350 because they had a quarterly bonus that no one could figure out but it would just randomly be an extra $15-20k every 3 months. I'm going ahead and just taking my yearly total and dividing by the hours worked to get that $235 quote. So if you're looking at an HCA contract in the east Florida division it can be really damn hard to figure out what they're going to pay you.

Current job is 250 an hour flat rate. 14 shifts of 12 hours a month. Generally our older guys give up some of their shifts so we are regularly working 15 or 16. So 45-48k a month. I got the 1099 to prove it. Though again, the CMG is gonna take away our flat rate.

Those are both the places where this meth doc was used to working. He also worked at the county hospital which I know didn't pay like that. But yeah. I can see why he would start doing stupid **** to regain the income flow he used to have

Last edited:
First job was about 15 shifts a month at 11 hours per shift and it was incentive based but the place is high functioning and if you didn't hit 3/3 incentives every month you were basically not trying because we could all do it with minimal effort. So we would end up getting around 235 an hour on a normal month. I did have some serious issues with how the RVU money divided up (the boss and a few other people would get a tremendous amount more than 235 an hour) but that's neither here nor there. Do the math for 15 shifts and you get 38+k a month. I will say this: the 235 an hour I'm quoting is a simplification of an insanely complex situation where some months you'd get like 210 and some months you'd get the equivalent of like 350 because they had a quarterly bonus that no one could figure out but it would just randomly be an extra $15-20k every 3 months. I'm going ahead and just taking my yearly total and dividing by the hours worked to get that $235 quote. So if you're looking at an HCA contract in the east Florida division it can be really damn hard to figure out what they're going to pay you.

Current job is 250 an hour flat rate. 14 shifts of 12 hours a month. Generally our older guys give up some of their shifts so we are regularly working 15 or 16. So 45-48k a month. I got the 1099 to prove it. Though again, the CMG is gonna take away our flat rate.

Those are both the places where this meth doc was used to working. He also worked at the county hospital which I know didn't pay like that. But yeah. I can see why he would start doing stupid **** to regain the income flow he used to have

Yea so you are definitely working hard for the money. More power to you regularly working 160 hours per month, especially in an urban inner city environment, but I don’t think most people could do that.

Yea so you are definitely working hard for the money. More power to you regularly working 160 hours per month, especially in an urban inner city environment, but I don’t think most people could do that.
And as a 1099, you're going to pay more taxes than a W2 at the same hourly rate.