Jun 1, 2009
Colorado
Status
Medical Student
I was forced by my dean to rank #7, 8, 9 despite hating each of those programs. I would have rather scrambled into IM or FM at my home school than go to where I matched.

civic4982

FM => Geri
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2003
Where "The stars at night, Are big and bright"
Status
Resident [Any Field]
where did you match?
Whatever you do do NOT answer this question.

In addition don't put anything on this forum or any others that identifies yourself.

You don't want your new program's first impression of you as someone who doesn't want to be there.

That said, you can always walk away after first year and transfer. Plenty of people do. There's a huge turnover in Ob/Gyn residents. As a matter of fact my program had me leave to FP of which they've arleady filled with another 2nd year and now another one of our residents is leaving and so they've got a wide open PGY2 spot.

Madinat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was forced by my dean to rank #7, 8, 9 despite hating each of those programs. I would have rather scrambled into IM or FM at my home school than go to where I matched.
that's what happened to me. at least you ended up in the SPECIALTY you wanted! I'll have an extra year ahead of me, at LEAST.

Last edited:

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I was forced by my dean to rank #7, 8, 9 despite hating each of those programs.
OP, I am sorry that you felt as if you were forced to do this, and I do not understand how that can happen since I thought only you had access to your rank list. All I can say is that I've seen people go to their absolute last choice and still be very happy in the end.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I really can't believe that you would have rather scrambled and changed specialties (even if you were to switch back to OB later) than go to this place. Is it really that bad where you matched?

Not trying to be a b*tch but just a little skeptical. I mean, unless I witnessed physical abuse or blatant racism/sexual harassment during the interview, I can't imagine someplace so bad I'd give up or jeopardize my desired career rather than go there. Despite being pretty competitive at all the places I ranked, I was desperately hoping to go anywhere that would take me in order to avoid the scramble, even my #11, and was ecstatic to get my #3 (though the top 5-6 were all equally great in reality).

You definitely shouldn't reveal where you matched, but can you at least describe what's so terrible about it? Maybe it will help us understand why you're so upset.

Jun 1, 2009
Colorado
Status
Medical Student
I would have been thrilled in my top 6, but got my #7 which was like hell on earth to me. I felt fearful and overwhelmed there. Program instability, directors/coordinators/residents leaving, little oversite, hectichospital, trauma trauma trauma. I am a small town person... this is NOT for me. I hate my dean for forcing to rank this on me. I am truly miserable and have been crying for 2 days. Not to mention that my spouse is unable to relocate to this one place as opposed to our other 6 which were all in the same 2 states. I'm depressed, want out. HONESTLY WOULD HAVE RATHER SCRAMBLED for a 1-yr in surgery, IM, etc and then reapplied.

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Not to mention that my #1, 4, 6 all said they wanted me and I was a "perfect fit".
One way to look at this is to think that those program directors were lying through their teeth.

Another way to look at it is to believe that many program directors have a very good idea of how far deep down their rank list they need to go in order to fill their programs. If a program typically goes down 20 spots in their rank list to fill a class of 10, and an applicant is ranked 15, a program director could reasonably say "you're a lock to match here". However, there is always some year-to-year variation, given the animal spirits that make some programs and specialties more or less popular from one year to the next. This cannot always be fully anticipated.

And if the top 30 applicants were all great applicants and would do really well at the program, a program director could tell all 30 "you're a perfect fit" and not be lying. All 30 could very well be a 'perfect fit'. But the program director ultimately has to choose 10 to be in the top 10.

-AT.

Oct 7, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would have been thrilled in my top 6, but got my #7 which was like hell on earth to me. I felt fearful and overwhelmed there. Program instability, directors/coordinators/residents leaving, little oversite, hectichospital, trauma trauma trauma. I am a small town person... this is NOT for me. I hate my dean for forcing to rank this on me. I am truly miserable and have been crying for 2 days. Not to mention that my spouse is unable to relocate to this one place as opposed to our other 6 which were all in the same 2 states. I'm depressed, want out. HONESTLY WOULD HAVE RATHER SCRAMBLED for a 1-yr in surgery, IM, etc and then reapplied.

I'm sorry, that does sound terrible. Hopefully it won't be as bad as it felt when you interviewed and perhaps it would be a good thing to be in a really different type of environment where you can learn new skills and take them back home after residency.

I'm a military wife, so I can tell you that yes, of course, it will be hard to leave your spouse, but at the same time it can be a blessing to be "relieved," for lack of a better word, of the responsibility of being married while you are immersed in a hectic intern year (esp. if you are the wife and wind up doing most of the household chores). My husband was gone for 2nd and most of 3rd year, and while it made taking care of the house and pets hard (and I had an hour commute each way to school and worked 50 hrs a week a 2 jobs during much of this time), I was usually too busy and tired to be lonely and often glad not to have to take care of anyone but myself. It can be good sometimes to be on your own and forced to support yourself emotionally, you will grow in ways you never imagined, but it is very hard and not all are cut out for it.

At least it is temporary and you may be able to switch out, whether early on or after intern year. Is it 100% definite that your spouse couldn't relocate at all--not just staying in the same field, but maybe changing jobs? I know that's tough, as I have no idea how my husband will find a decent job where I matched in WV, but we decided that we are not going to be apart any longer and he's coming with me no matter what now that he's a civilian.

I wish you the best of luck in working things out, no matter how it goes.

Also, just out of curiosity, could you PM me where you are now and where you matched? I, too, hate the city (despite or perhaps because of being born and bred in the D.C area) and actually ranked only smaller programs so that I could get away and make the husband happier, him being from KY originally.