FQHC and malpractice insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowdaisy

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with working at an FQHC? I understand that the federal government covers the liability for work performed in the clinic. If you had to operate on an FQHC patient at a hospital, do you need separate liability insurance for that? Or would the FQHC cover it since it's their patient?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have experience with working at an FQHC? I understand that the federal government covers the liability for work performed in the clinic. If you had to operate on an FQHC patient at a hospital, do you need separate liability insurance for that? Or would the FQHC cover it since it's their patient?

I'm currently with a FQHC.

You should have coverage through the federal tort claims act.

I would make sure you get a copy of any certificate and make sure the clinic is a legitimate FQHC (I believe this can be looked up online). I would talk with their risk management to make sure as well and get proof in writing.

The FQHC I am with also bought a supplemental policy on case I had to operate or assist on non FQHC patients (I sometimes get called for intra op consults and will help out as a courtesy).