Anyone not doing AOA internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H&E

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing from those of you not doing the AOA internship.
It's looking as though it may not be in the cards for me either as it would tack on
an addition year to complete my postgraduate training. This extra year means
further loan interest accrual and defering becoming an attending which also means
one more year living on resident's salary. I am curious as to if there are any options regarding
special dispensation to still get licensed in the 5 AOA internship requiring states without
having done an internship. Furthermore, in the last issue of JAOA an article discussed how
there is a shortfall AOA internship slots relative to number of graduates of DO schools.
The numbers were something like 1800 spots vs. 2500 graduates. However all 1800 slots
do not fill since many DO grads jump right into ACGME Residencies. My point is how can
the 5 internship-requiring states continue to do this when theoretically there are not
enough spots for all DO graduates to enter an AOA internship? Essentially they are denying
licensure on the basis of not doing an internship when this option is not available to
all seekers? Guess I wouldn't be an anal med student if I didn't write such a long topic intro.

Members don't see this ad.