Anyone NOT submit an essay with your primary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OLYWA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title is pretty clear cut.

As per the directions for AACOMAS, personal statements (essays) are optional.

Has anyone optioned not to submit one? If so...why, why not, etc?

My thought process tends to go down the path of:

A. The schools get in the range of 2500 - 10,000 primaries. Noone is reading 2500 essays, let's be real here.

B. If they truly want to know about you, they'll usually get this info from your secondary essays.

C. Most/many secondaries are automatic and based solely on GPA and MCAT, and you'll likely get a secondary anyways if you simply meet their criteria.

Anyone want to post any thoughts on this topic?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no way I would not submit a personal statement with AACOMAS. They may not be reading each one thoroughly but I think each one at least gets a glance. It's a chance for you to tell them more about yourself and your motivations outside of the numbers. I think not writing an essay would also suggest that you (collective you) don't want to put any more effort into applying than you have to.

its not like they only scan for GPA MCAT and then toss your application...im sure that each application they get, the scan it to see if its complete, and they proally eyeball the extracurriculars, and if they are interested, they will read the personal statement. The initial "eyeballing" proally takes them like 2 mins...and if they like you, they will read the rest of your app more closely.

Of course AACOMAS is gonna say its optional...i mean, its a personal statement...you dont have to tell ADCOMS why you wanna be a doctor, and that will convey a clearer message than your MCAT or GPA ever can.

if you are thinking about submitting a primary w/o a PS, you should at least put something together

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it is foolish to skip it. maybe they wont read it, but theyll sure as hell take its absence as a sign that you are lazy or not committed.

When filling out applications, anything I saw as 'optional' or 'highly recommended' I considered 'required, unless you have a very good reason'. Besides, there are schools (I don't know if you are applying to any) that invite you for an interview only after reading your primary application. There are schools that do read the essays, and you don't want your lack of one to possibly come back and haunt you later in an interview or something.

Another thing is that DMU does not have any essays on their secondary. They just use your AACOMAS app.

This is the weirdest question I've ever heard. It wouldn't even occur to me to not write the personal statement

This is the weirdest question I've ever heard. It wouldn't even occur to me to not write the personal statement

i agree with that! i mean, if u wanna go to medschool, why would you not fill out the PS? Even if you get an interview, how are you gonna explain the lack of personal statement?...that u were lazy? lol

Take the time to write the essay and submit. Schools may look down upon the fact that you didn't take the time to write a statement which tells them about you.

end of story, no thought needed on this topic.

It's optional, but basically expected. In my opinion, it would be unwise to omit the personal statement. It is an opportunity to characterize yourself beyond numbers, lists, and statistics. Why on Earth would you choose not to use the opportunity?

And, yes, adcoms do read and consider it together with the rest of your application.

If I were an ADCOM, I would view it simply as plain laziness.