Anyone on here doing a PT residency???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MinnDasota

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any PT graduates on here who's done a residency in ortho or sports? I am leaving my current job for a sports residency soon and am curious as to what your experiences were. Opinions, pros, cons, etc.

For those of you in PT school, any of you applying for a residency in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a third year and currently getting my stuff ready for my top three ortho residencies. If I don't get these then I'll reapply to my number one after one year and if that doesn't work then my plan is to plow ahead. IMO, a residency program is what I need for a more focused learning experience in the areas i expect to see as an outpatient PT. Ever since my first year of PT school I knew that I wanted to go to this residency program because it fit my desires and needs. Also, good luck with the sports residency because they are much less numbered then ortho. My faculty runs a sports res and they told me, since i told them ortho is my #1, that they'd give me an inside track to their program if i wanted but since I'm not an ATC/LAT I'm less inspired for the sports aspect of PT. Again, IMO, residency programs put out better PTs which represent what our profession is capable of with proper training...

I started a ortho/manual fellowship program in January and it's great, despite a lot of work on top of seeing patients full time, and a busy personal life. Well worth the time and effort. I like the accountability residency/fellowship programs have as opposed to taking weekend continuing education courses.

I've never really known that PT had these until reading this post. Now that I've looked into them I'm extremely interested and hope I'm allowed the opportunity to participate in one. I wanted to graduate and focus on finding a job based more on mentorship rather than salary, this seems like exactly what I wanted.

Probably something I shouldn't be thinking about until I even get into a DPT program but... all of the sites I've looked at seem very vague on who they accept for these programs and why. What is the major criteria to gain admissions?