Anyone prep for KAPLAN for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovefeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting mixed reviews about how accurate it is compared to the actual exam.
Should I use supplemental material?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would shell out the cash for the old AAMC tests. If you dont want to pay for all of them, pick up tests 8-11. Those are the most accurate. I used the Kaplan books along with The princeton review. It seemed like the princeton review practice tests were more accurate than the Kaplan ones.

I actually found the Kaplan tests to be harder than the AAMC tests. If you do sign up for kaplan, then you get all the AAMC tests offered.
My thoughts on Kaplan, they have great materials and good instructors. They genuinely want you to do well. I liked the class, and do not really regret dropping the $1500; however I needed the class more as I had been out of college for 7 years and was rusty on a few things. If you are up to doing your studying all on your own, that can be done too. You can usually buy the kaplan books on craigslist for really cheap, and Kaplan, Princeton, examkrackers can all be found on the internet

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't hear many good things about kaplan.

If i were you i would just self study. using examcrackers and/or Berkeley review

thanks for the responses guys!
I enrolled in the Kaplan course.
The structured course will be good for me, I think.

I also purchased the PR books, in addition to the Kaplan books.
Do you guys think that I'm overdoing it?

thanks for the responses guys!
I enrolled in the Kaplan course.
The structured course will be good for me, I think.

I also purchased the PR books, in addition to the Kaplan books.
Do you guys think that I'm overdoing it?

IMO, unless you're really gunning for a scholarship, then yes lol. People get in with <20's. Personally, I am just going to self-study, take practice tests, and read a lot (really helped me on the ACT). I'm aiming for at least 30, as I was while pre-med, but I'm fine with an "acceptance" score. If it's really awful (I suck at standardized tests) I'll probably retake it; but hey, everyone has their own way. :)

I used the Kaplan advanced book. It was pretty good but I wouldn't say that it was outstanding. It did help me in directing the organization of my study time.

Shinobiz11 - I'm aiming for a 30+ because my GPA is not too high and I am applying latER in the cycle. Are you applying in this cycle as well?

SLCpod - I agree with you, I think the schedule is a great guide. How did you do on your MCAT?

I had purchased the EK books and then decided I wanted to do Kaplan. I thought the EK books were better because they used better mnemonics and they had better diagrams. It also seemed they were written more in the context of the MCAT than just science, which is an important distinction. If you were going just books, I would go with those because that is how they are meant to be used. The Kaplan books are meant to be a supplement to the Kaplan course.

When you get Kaplan, you are paying for a whole S***load of learing materials like all of the AAMC tests plus 12 Kaplan tests. Don't read too much into anyone's opinion on either because THEY ARE ALL GOOD PRACTICE. The cool thing about Kaplan is you get a lot of feedback on how you are doing and what what you need to work on, but, you probably already know that without spending $2,000 on the course.
I was actually pretty skeptical about Kaplan and just was doing it as a better safe than sorry sort of thing. But I applied their methods and I improved on every diagnostic and added 10 points to my score. I actually did better on the MCAT than on their tests and the AAMC tests. (I took 9 total). The thing you get from the course that you can't get from books is the strategy and coaching, which really helped me be confident on test day. BUT EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

Shinobiz11 - I'm aiming for a 30+ because my GPA is not too high and I am applying latER in the cycle. Are you applying in this cycle as well?

SLCpod - I agree with you, I think the schedule is a great guide. How did you do on your MCAT?

Ahh ok, no, I'm applying next cycle. Taking the MCAT this spring/summer/

DrRock44 - I started using the online stuff for Kaplan and you are right, they are extremely helpful, especially the topical tests. 10 points higher on the actual exam, that's awesome!! def gives me hope :) thanks for the advice!!

Shinobiz11 - Good luck :) I would take it in August if you can!