Anyone recieved a secondary from Howard Yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kovox

Going Places
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone recieved a secondary from Howard yet?

I was verified and submitted AMCAS wise, in early July. They were the only school that I have not heard from in regards to a secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard from them either; I was verified in early August. I might call sometime this week and see what's going on.

I called them and was told that they are just beginning to review

Members don't see this ad :)
I would consider seriously before applying to Howard. I am still annoyed by how they conduct admissions. I applied there last year, and am currently attending med school. I sent them the secondary (which took forever to arrive (3 months, despite a few phone calls) and was full of misspellings, but whatever) with my $$$$. I NEVER heard back from them. No rejection letter, no interview, no contact whatsoever (save for a generic mass email in April saying they were "still working" on applications). I even wrote them a letter to express my continued interest as the year wore on and I hadn't heard from them. But I heard nothing. As far as I know, I paid them $ for them to consider my application for admission, and they took my money while never reviewing my app.

I was dissapointed because I was interested in Howard, but was rather distressed by how they treated me and other applicants. Many stories were distressing. Do a search for Howard and you can read up.

I share this story because unless Howard is the one school you want to go to, think carefully about applying -- it may be a waste of time and money. I am so not impressed. It's really too bad because they miss out on many students who want to attend because they are so disorganized (also evident if you do a search). I hope they can get it together soon. :(

Jonquille,

Thank you for the heads up. Howard is incredibly slow for some reason. My friends told me to apply elsewhere and that they didn't even hear from Howard since applying for the 2002 entering class. Though 2 of them did recieve a rejection letter a few weeks ago for the 2002 entering class :rolleyes:

SM UCLA: They said they were just begining to review? That majorally sucks haha, I think they're not even done with the 2002 cycle yet or have their paper work messed up. Don't they need us to send like an application fee? I know they don't screen.

I just called Howard today. After being on hold for a few minutes I was told that they are waiting on the secondaries to arrive from the printer............ HUH???????????? Sounds to me like someones been sitting on their a$$. But anyway I guess we could expect them in the next week or two.

Hey guys, i'm really interested in Howard. I realize that it is commonly perceived as an African American medical school. Are there high percentages of other minorities, such as Inidans or other asians, or asians of unusual backgrounds?

I went to Howard for my first year and a half of undergraduate study, and the entire school is a mess. Administration wise, and in all other aspects. I had WONDERFUL professors, and I had the advantage of having many of my pre-reqs for med school in smaller environments, but it simply wasn't worth the trouble.

Howard admins can't manage to fax a paper (they don't know the code....) send a transcript (7 requests later, not to mention 35 dollars, my school has heard nothing) or basically, do anything they say they will do.

The culture at the school is rich, and DC is wonderful, but, as a whole, the school needs some major revamping.

A full scholarship wasn't enough to keep me there for 2 more years.

Good luck to all that may suffer from Howard's inadequacies,

~Keshe

Hi Poetess232,
Can you comment on the ethnic diversity of the school?

Originally posted by tryinghard
Hi Poetess232,
Can you comment on the ethnic diversity of the school?

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

I would think that even though it might be a pre-dominantly minority school, Howard still needs to maintain a certain percentage of other ethnic groups as do other medical schools.

Originally posted by Kovox
Has anyone recieved a secondary from Howard yet?

I just got an invitation to interview today. It was postmarked October 1st. Along with the invitation was a Secondary Application and some LOR cards to give recommenders to affix to your letters.

Originally posted by wolferman
I just got an invitation to interview today. It was postmarked October 1st. Along with the invitation was a Secondary Application and some LOR cards to give recommenders to affix to your letters.

Did you take your mcats twice? I am wondering if they are sending out invitiations based on previous mcat scores.

Originally posted by Kovox
Did you take your mcats twice? I am wondering if they are sending out invitiations based on previous mcat scores.

Yep. I took them once in April '00 and again in August '01. So they already know what my MCAT scores are. That allowed them to make a quicker decision I bet.