Anyone seen the new Rosai (Ackerman's) surg path book?

Started by yaah
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard it was out, but all I really know is that it now comes with a CD full of images. For those who have seen this book, is it worth getting or does the previous version have most of the same info?

And yes, I know, there have probably been updates in immunohistochemistry and tumor staging, all that stuff that changes weekly, but the appeal of Rosai is more of at the general level to me, morphological descriptions, etc.

I think I am entitled to get one of these surg path textbooks and it will probably be this one but if new Rosai is not significantly different from old rosai I might just get the Sternberg.

BTW, did anyone else know that Ackerman originally wrote his textbook for medical school classes? Amazing that there used to be that much detail and study of pathology during med school. I guess they didn't have to spend so much $#&!ing time dealing with epidemiology, statistics, and cultural diversity. There's about a cumulative month of med school I wish I had back to spend time doing other things.
 
I really don't have anything to add to Crep's comments since I haven't really perused earlier editions of Rosai, but since I am about 2 hr away from ending my primary care career and venturing into Path, thought I'd add my view. Bought a copy of the new edition as soon as it came out and I'd agree, the color pix sure are purty. Haven't even accessed the CD's yet, but as I start with Surgicals in 2 weeks, I'm sure I will become intimate with them.
 
Fantastic reference.

It's part of a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.

Crepitus Fremitus said:
Only a cumulative month? Sheesh, we spent a month on Sick Building Syndrome alone. I may not know what small cell lung cancer looks like (I guess that's when, like, the tumor is really tiny, huh?), but if I ever have an autistic child, I tell ya, who ever decided to install those plasterboard false ceiling pannels is gonna pay!

I guess it was a cumulative month, if you went straight through without sleep, 24 hour days. But hey, at least I know now that people of different ethnic backgrounds can also become sick. In fact, people from other countries may actually be at risk for different diseases! And holy cow, who would have guessed that sick people appreciate having someone speak their own language, I thought they liked me yelling at them and pointing at where it hurts.

I'll tell you whut, though, if there is ANY med student in this country who doesn't know what "coining" is and how it needs to be respected, I'll be wicked surprised. AML? What's that? Is that a swedish custom that needs to be respected? I should do nothing about it, right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm about to buy the new Rosai (once July 1 rolls around and my new book fund money is available 🙂 ). I debated for a long time between Sternberg, Rosai and Weidner. In the end, I found Rosai easier to read and more suited to my style of learning. The color pictures are outstanding as well. One of my attendings said that there have been rumors of some of the Rosai pictures ending up on boards. Not sure if that's true but if it is, all the more reason to buy it.

FYI, according to the publisher's website, the new Rosai is going to increase in price to $399 on September 1.
 
Molly Maquire,

I have looked for online reviews of Rosai's 9th edition, but haven't found any. Do you have the link that you are referring to?
 
I haven't found any either; let me know if you all find some.

I'm not sure who called it such a name but I imagine they are in the minority. Everyone has their own style of learning and to some, Rosai's type of writing is very appealing. Others learn better from Sternberg. Personally, I found Rosai to be easier to read and the chapters more consistently good. Sternberg has some great chapters but some are just awful (just my opinion; take it for what it's worth----about $0.02).
 
I agree it is a very fine line. Fortunately, they are both very well respected textbooks, so I guess you can't really go wrong with either, but that necessarily help you choose which to buy. I like Sternberg because many of the chapters present a sort of pattern based approach to a given organ system, which I find helpful for day to day "sign-out" issues. Rosai takes a more traditional approach, listing diseases entity by entity, but some people think he throws in more boardable pearls. Rosai's more colorful (though somewhat wordy) writing style seems to be one distinguishing factor: either you like it or you don't.

I would add that Sternberg's text is coming out with a question/answer review book in a couple of months which might be a nice way to review for the boards. It will be interesting to see if Rosai follows suit.

I guess the bottom line is that while both provide a good overview of surg path, each has its strengths and weaknesses, depending on one's own personal preferences. I guess that is why you see many staff pathologists with both books on their shelves...
 
Good point. I'll probably end up with both eventually but for boards, I'll use Rosai (and the Sternberg review book).
 
Any idea on good websites to purchase these books at?

I have heard of people liking Sternberg better. I know I will purchase the new Robbins, and Haber however I too am torn between Rosai and Sternberg.
 
I got the new Rosai a week ago. It's fantastic. Great color pictures throughout and excellent updates on the new molecular information. I highly recommend it but again, it's up to personal preference.

I bought mine from amazon. To find a possible lower price, go to Froogle (http://www.google.com/froogle?hl=en&tab=wf&q=).
 
I think I decided on the new Rosai. I get a book fo' free. (Tip: come to michigan, you get free books and a free laptop computer, although you have to give the computer back when your residency finishes).

I had to choose between rosai, Sternberg, and the 3 volume Silverberg which I considered because it is 3 volumes and it has lots of cytology. But it is from 1997 and I think I would rather have a new book.
 
It's funny that you have to return the laptop when you finish residency. Won't it be outdated and crappy compared to the new laptops that come out in 3-4 years?
 
HotSteamingTurd said:
It's funny that you have to return the laptop when you finish residency. Won't it be outdated and crappy compared to the new laptops that come out in 3-4 years?

Probably. But then they can give it to med students or use it in some lab where they don't need a great computer.

Or use it as a doorstop. Maybe they get some kind of better tax deal or purchase plan if the computers are owned by the department and used by residents.