anyone starting SGU jan 06 MPH/MD ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPatelMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wnated to know if anyone is starting next week at SGU for the MPH/MD program? looking for roomates as well as to meeting people.

Members don't see this ad.

dewd... unless ur planning on living in grenada, the mph is worthless...

are u sure? i am starting next week? i am getting mixed feelings, i don't kno what to do. help!

Members don't see this ad :)
get on valuemd and ask stephe for sure. i think this is true though. if you are unsure check it with the us dept of education to see if they recognize it. if not, ask the place you want to use it at if they accept it... or ask sgu how it is accredited.

I am trying to transfer to SGU for Jan 06, but no word back from the admissions department. :eek: Do you know of anyone I could contact?

OMFS06 said:
I am trying to transfer to SGU for Jan 06, but no word back from the admissions department. :eek: Do you know of anyone I could contact?

As far as I know, SGU does not accept transfers unless you plan to repeat most of the BS years.

SPatelMD said:
are u sure? i am starting next week? i am getting mixed feelings, i don't kno what to do. help!

If SGU is where you want to go and the MD is what you want to get then do not listen to these ****-disturbers and get your education.

It is only a 6 month difference so you won't be missing out on anything.

Just go and work your ass off.

McGillGrad said:
If SGU is where you want to go and the MD is what you want to get then do not listen to these ****-disturbers and get your education.

It is only a 6 month difference so you won't be missing out on anything.

Just go and work your ass off.

Sure, the MD is fine. But that did not appear to be his concern, which is the MPH, and you have failed to address that, and at the same time attacked me. :confused:

McGillGrad said:
As far as I know, SGU does not accept transfers unless you plan to repeat most of the BS years.

wow. why would they not??? they are there to make MONEY and the more ppl to transfer into a class that has lost ppl can only be a good thing.

additionally, nearly every medical school has accepted transfers, though most require you to have completed the first 2 yrs and completed the usmle step1 to do so...

cooldreams said:
Sure, the MD is fine. But that did not appear to be his concern, which is the MPH, and you have failed to address that, and at the same time attacked me. :confused:

He has been given a chance to become a physician while gaining persceptive on public health issues. Plus he is starting in a week and you are trying to make him doubt his choice with nothing more than your opnion. That is being unhelpful.

McGillGrad said:

"What is the attrition rate?
Our attrition rate in the first two years is generally 1–2% for personal reasons
and 3–5% for academic reasons. The attrition rate in the final two years is
almost negligible.

Can I transfer into St. George’s University?
St. George’s University does not seek, and rarely accepts, advanced standing
students. Candidates must write a letter to the Board of Admissions, which will then determine if the candidate will be allowed to apply for admission with
advanced standing. Advanced standing is not granted beyond the beginning
of the second year."

yea, so they would probably accept ppl to fill the newly emptied spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
McGillGrad said:
He has been given a chance to become a physician while gaining persceptive on public health issues. Plus he is starting in a week and you are trying to make him doubt his choice with nothing more than your opnion. That is being unhelpful.

i never said anything about the MD, the MD is just fine. SGU makes you go through the MPH program to get the MPH degree and to THEN start your MD coursework. while the MPH degree itself is not officially recognized, yea, obviously you would be learning anyways.

i am not TRYING to scare anyone, just keep in mind how things work. you may be able to fall through the cracks in the usa with that mph degree, but likely you would not be able to teach with it, and would not be able to count it as formal graduate credit.

it also sucks because to START the MD program, you HAVE to get a 3.5 in the mph program. so its definitely NOT an easier pathway. its do able, and if you complete the whole thing, you will get your MD and become a Doctor and be able to practice as a Doctor. just be sure you know the facts to your situation.

cooldreams said:
Can I transfer into St. George’s University?
St. George’s University does not seek, and rarely accepts, advanced standing
students. Candidates must write a letter to the Board of Admissions, which will then determine if the candidate will be allowed to apply for admission with
advanced standing. Advanced standing is not granted beyond the beginning
of the second year."

yea, so they would probably accept ppl to fill the newly emptied spots.

The other schools welcome trnasfers, but it is difficult to get into SGU as a transfer for the clinical years. That is why transfers usually flock to AUC and Ross but hardly ever take away clinical spots from SGU students.

cooldreams said:
i never said anything about the MD, the MD is just fine. SGU makes you go through the MPH program to get the MPH degree and to THEN start your MD coursework. while the MPH degree itself is not officially recognized, yea, obviously you would be learning anyways.

i am not TRYING to scare anyone, just keep in mind how things work. you may be able to fall through the cracks in the usa with that mph degree, but likely you would not be able to teach with it, and would not be able to count it as formal graduate credit.

it also sucks because to START the MD program, you HAVE to get a 3.5 in the mph program. so its definitely NOT an easier pathway. its do able, and if you complete the whole thing, you will get your MD and become a Doctor and be able to practice as a Doctor. just be sure you know the facts to your situation.

The facts are obvious. If he had been accepted to the MD prograns he would be doing that. And if he had been accepted to (or wanted to attend Ross, Saba, AUC) then he would be going there.

That leaves the MD/MPH option. Why waste your time in the US doing a master's when it will get you to the same place. And if you cannot get the 3.5 in the MPH then you would not be passing your basic science years anyway.

a masters in the us WONT get you to the same place. thats my point. a masters in the US is accredited while the sgu one is not. some people care, others dont. :thumbup: :thumbdown:

cooldreams said:
a masters in the us WONT get you to the same place. thats my point. a masters in the US is accredited while the sgu one is not. some people care, others dont. :thumbup: :thumbdown:

If your goal is an MD then a Masters is nothing but a stepping stone. So you might as well do it in SGU if that is your option or choice for medical school.

yea well i'm def starting in Jan, i'm not going to let one person scare me, at first to be honest i was scared ... now i'm going to go there and do what i have to do. I just want to get an MD from sgu, so if this is my way in, i'll accept it. i just hope i don't get sick of island life in 3 years. i hear mph 3.5 is easy and doable. people in other threads said its a way to relax, study, and party. but party where? and with who? ... also i want to thank mcgill grad, for sticking up for me, and supporting me. ur a good guy :) just curious as to where you are in ur career path? and if ur not a sgu grad, how come u are full of a lot of knowledge with the school and its different aspects (moving in, traveling, etc) .... but yea, ur a cool guy, my SN: sp2984.

SPatelMD said:
yea well i'm def starting in Jan, i'm not going to let one person scare me, at first to be honest i was scared ... now i'm going to go there and do what i have to do. I just want to get an MD from sgu, so if this is my way in, i'll accept it. i just hope i don't get sick of island life in 3 years. i hear mph 3.5 is easy and doable. people in other threads said its a way to relax, study, and party. but party where? and with who? ... also i want to thank mcgill grad, for sticking up for me, and supporting me. ur a good guy :) just curious as to where you are in ur career path? and if ur not a sgu grad, how come u are full of a lot of knowledge with the school and its different aspects (moving in, traveling, etc) .... but yea, ur a cool guy, my SN: sp2984.

I am planning on attending Ross, SGU or AUC in September of January. I have spent a great deal of time talking to school officials and doing research. I am sure that people who attend may have a better sense of day-to-day activities but they tend to touch with the situation they were in before they started med school. I have worked for a while and own my own company, but I am getting to the end of my 20's and I know what direction I want to take with my career. With that being said, if a MPH was the only thing standing in between me and my goal, then I would tackle it without a second thought.

McGillGrad said:
The other schools welcome trnasfers, but it is difficult to get into SGU as a transfer for the clinical years. That is why transfers usually flock to AUC and Ross but hardly ever take away clinical spots from SGU students.

Thanks for the information. Why does SGU not accept transfers? Especially, if you have successfully completed BS years and USMLE I. Is SGU a better school than AUC or Ross? I assume that they are all competing for the same spots for clinical years, but are they competing for the same residency programs? I downloaded the application for Ross. Do you think it is worth the 75 US dollars to apply? I have had trouble contacting anyone to discuss a transfer.

OMFS06 said:
Thanks for the information. Why does SGU not accept transfers? Especially, if you have successfully completed BS years and USMLE I. Is SGU a better school than AUC or Ross? I assume that they are all competing for the same spots for clinical years, but are they competing for the same residency programs? I downloaded the application for Ross. Do you think it is worth the 75 US dollars to apply? I have had trouble contacting anyone to discuss a transfer.

I do not know why SGU has that policy but it is pretty much in the same boat as Ross and AUC. Some people say that SGU has a better USMLE pass rate and better residency placements, but the difference is not significant.

Ross readily accepts transfers, and so does AUC but they are both notorious for being hard to reach.

McGillGrad said:
I do not know why SGU has that policy but it is pretty much in the same boat as Ross and AUC. Some people say that SGU has a better USMLE pass rate and better residency placements, but the difference is not significant.

Ross readily accepts transfers, and so does AUC but they are both notorious for being hard to reach.

I already sat for USMLE I and passed. Do you know if they will accept this or will I have to retake this exam? I just want to complete my training and get a decent residency. :scared:

OMFS06 said:
I already sat for USMLE I and passed. Do you know if they will accept this or will I have to retake this exam? I just want to complete my training and get a decent residency. :scared:

The schools prefer to accept people who passed step 1 successfully, so it reflects well on the school. You do not have to retake it.

McGillGrad said:
I am planning on attending Ross, SGU or AUC in September of January. I have spent a great deal of time talking to school officials and doing research. I am sure that people who attend may have a better sense of day-to-day activities but they tend to touch with the situation they were in before they started med school. I have worked for a while and own my own company, but I am getting to the end of my 20's and I know what direction I want to take with my career. With that being said, if a MPH was the only thing standing in between me and my goal, then I would tackle it without a second thought.
McGill,
I have read a lot of your posts on here, and I have to say that it is a shame that people like you are forced to go to the Caribbean to achieve their goals. You seem like a really smart guy, so it's too bad that we couldn't have a more accessible medical education in Canada, especially in the face of such a shortage. Ah well, I'm sure you will do fine wherever you go. :luck:

leviathan said:
McGill,
I have read a lot of your posts on here, and I have to say that it is a shame that people like you are forced to go to the Caribbean to achieve their goals. You seem like a really smart guy, so it's too bad that we couldn't have a more accessible medical education in Canada, especially in the face of such a shortage. Ah well, I'm sure you will do fine wherever you go. :luck:

L,

The comments are greatly appreciated, thank you. It is true that the Canadian system unfortunately shuts out qualified applicants. I hope that our healthcare system can survive intact when the baby boomers need medical care the most.

The silver lining about the Caribbean is that the extra hoops make you appreciate your position even more.

McGillGrad said:
L,

The comments are greatly appreciated, thank you. It is true that the Canadian system unfortunately shuts out qualified applicants. I hope that our healthcare system can survive intact when the baby boomers need medical care the most.

The silver lining about the Caribbean is that the extra hoops make you appreciate your position even more.
McGill,

You're welcome. You more than deserve them for all the help you give around here. I'm not gonna lie to ya, I'm going to try everything I can in the last stretch of my undergrad to make sure I get into a Canadian school, but if that does not work out, I know I can also make things work at SGU or elsewhere. At the end of the day, after we finish residency and prove our competence, we're all going to be colleagues no matter where we went to school.

gluck , best of luck to u mcgill ... which ever school is lucky enough to take you, you will def be a great physician. thank you for all your help. if you do end up at sgu, def find me. look fwrd to meeting u, hey who knos, maybe will be doin rotation/residency somewhere together.

Thanks guys.

I am sure we will bump into each other one day, and as leviathan said, no matter we go to school we will all be doctors in the end.

So do tell, how is it down in the warmth now that you've had some time to adjust?