Anyone still waiting to be verified?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbers22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted AMCAS Sept. 28, and am still waiting to be verified...I know this is nothing compared to what some people have endured, but are there people still waiting to be verified??

thanks
--gabbers22

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Gabbers22,
I just got verified...my application was submitted in July, and I'm still waiting for it to be processed.

Nick

Ummm... Nicholas, I think that you're in the verification process, but you can't really say you're verified until you have that date after Date Processed. You have the red X's, right? What about blue slashes, etc. after your coursework? If you have all this, you'll probably get that Date Processed date pretty soon, although there really is no predicting AMCAS. Best of luck to you in this horrible process! :) And to you too, gabbers22! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, this might make me sound absolutely ignorrant, but what exactly defines "verified" and how would one know if he/she has been verified???

Is this something you only get to hear about once you apply?? I am assuming it's online, and you check to see the status of your application. This info might come in handy next year when I apply and hope to be "verified"...whatever that is.

Tweets

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
•ok, this might make me sound absolutely ignorrant, but what exactly defines "verified" and how would one know if he/she has been verified??? •••

Verified" means AMCAS has checked your schools attended and coursework against the transcripts you have submitted to them. You would think that this would be an easy process, easily accomplished by your average 8th grade educated person! But no, for AMCAS folks it is so incredibly difficult you wouldn't believe it! Their task is made even harder by the fact that they lose a good percentage of all transcripts sent to them, plus they cannot figure out things like maiden names, and different student ID numbers from different schools, even though the application asks for them. Also, you would think that they would give applicants some clue about the process of verification, but no! That's why SDN is so essential. Through collective sleuthing, inference and deduction the brave souls on SDN who went through the application process this year managed to figure out what red X's, blue slashes and O's, and the appearance of the "change notification button" and the Date Processed date meant! Of course they mostly watched helplessly as folks who submitted their apps way later than them got verified out of order (that's another thing about AMCAS folks, they can't put things in order according to dates!), or as someone else's MCAT scores appeared on their application, or their own scores never appeared at all. :rolleyes:

In a nutshell, it's been totally nuts, but hopefully they got the bugs out this year and it will be better next year. One is presumably verified when the Date Processed appears in the upper right hand corner of the application when you open the "Print Application" window. Of course, some folks have been "unverified" when they tried to update their application according to AMCAs instructions. So nothing is ever written in stone with AMCAS! Hope that answers your question. :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

oh gosh, I thought these kinds of threads were over by now!!! yeesh, they bring back so many bad memories........ :(

Don't forget about the problems on the other end where schools are not getting the correct information with the verified applications they receive from AMCAS. The situation is so bad that some schools (U of Vermont and U of Nevada come to mind) have sent letters to all applicants saying that since they can't trust the information from AMCAS you must send the information to them directly which means they are bypassing AMCAS' service totally. This means the fees we paid to AMCAS for that service were wasted -- AMCAS served no purpose at all in the application process to some schools. The ineptitudes of an organization that has received over $14,000,000 in application fees since June is truly, truly remarkable. Fourteen million dollars in less than six months and they don't even have a toll-free telephone number. They take weeks to respond to a simple e-mail. They keep people on hold for hours on end playing the same CD on the hold music over, and over again. Incompetence at a level that I have never seen. It's not just criminal, it is disgusting.

Originally posted by mpp:
• They keep people on hold for hours on end playing the same CD on the hold music over, and over again. Incompetence at a level that I have never seen. It's not just criminal, it is disgusting.•••

Look on the bright side - at least they play updated music
;)

Look on the bright side - at least they play updated music ••

You mean they're no longer playing Mariah Carey's Daydream LP? Man, I had the lyrics to that whole album memorized thanks to AMCAS. I haven't called them in a couple of months. Perhaps I should just call to see what they're playing??? Nah... too many bad memories.

Holy lord you guys!!!!
I am feeling ambivalent about even sending my AMCAS now!! I feel bad for y'all.....it all sound like a grand money making scheme,with AMCAS being the dragon of it all.

::Sigh:: Question--knowing that I can be *very* assertive when I want to be, how much can I really bother AMCAS with calls etc, and yet have nothing to lose? I bet there must be a point where it actually hurts your app to call them.

Then again, being a chick might help if I meet up with that Melville guy who could help me process my app. (joke!) But in all seriousness, do you guys have any advice for those of us applying in 2003 besides DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!!

thanks,
Tweets

Hi SMW,
Thanks for your response. How do you know all this stuff? I'm impressed.

Nick

ooo, oooo! I just got verified over the weekend! So what.. you ask? Well, I'm EDP and submitted July 5th!!! That's What! I emailed Nancy two weeks ago, and behold, she emailed me right back and said she put it right in to be verified! I'm astounded. Luckily, USA is really cool and gave an acceptance back in Sept, figuring that AMCAS was too screwed up to really count...

Originally posted by Nicholas:
•Hi SMW,
Thanks for your response. How do you know all this stuff? I'm impressed.

Nick•••

Learned it all here on SDN! :) Without SDN, I don't know how I would have gotten through the application process. I just realized that it's been 4 months since you submitted. That's really intolerable. I'd contact Nancy Tillinghast, the director of AMCAS ([email protected]), and threaten legal action if you aren't verified pronto. That's what I and some others SDNers did when we decided AMCAS's incompetence was jeopardizing our chances of admission. Worked like a charm. I had a lawyer write my letter, but other people have had success just threatening to sue for breach of contract (she won't know if you really have a lawyer or not -- just say the next time she hears from you it will be through your lawyer if you're not verified by such and such a date). Good luck.

lamyers, 4 months to verify an EDP applicant! :eek: :rolleyes: Now that's what I call the very pinnacle of incompetence!! Congratulations anyway!!! :D