Anyone submitting primary just now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will more than likely be submitting my primary next week. I just got a opportunity to shadow, and get a letter, from a DO that works in my lab. I investigated and saw that many DO schools still had pending deadlines open, so I thought I'd throw my hat in. I'm waiting to see if she's willing to write me the letter before I submit though. It seemed as if that was a pretty important component (have a letter from a doctor "preferably" from a DO). If she writes me a letter I think I have a very real chance of getting in this year, so I'm pretty excited now. It's nice to be enthusiastic about this process for once, instead of hating it! :)

Members don't see this ad.

What is your drive for applying to a DO school? Do you have a true interest in DO schools or is it because of a hardtime getting into an allopathic institution or did you not know that much about osteopathy before...etc...? I hope you don't take that in a rude way as it was not meant to be conveyed as such. Just make sure you can clearly explain why you want to go DO as I have been asked that at all of my interviews. You definitely still have time to meet the primary and supplemental application deadlines for most schools, but I would apply as soon as possible if you are serious about doing this. The schools accept on a rolling admission basis and I know classes are beginning to fill up. Also, AACOMAS is getting really backed up so even though you may send in your primary this week, the schools may not receive it for 4-6 weeks, with the primary deadlines for many schools being Feb 1, you don't have much time. I am glad to hear more people are considering Osteopathy :D and I wish you the best of luck in applying :luck:

Good luck. Hurry! Submit this weekend if you can. Request those transcripts now too. You still have a shot. Check the deadlines for secondaries when you designate schools. Don't wait on the DO letter. A few schools don't require it... but do recommend it. Read Gevitz book on DOs to appreciate where DOs are coming from. Hope you are successful... And don't worry. Serveral of the schools haven't offered many spaces yet... I think NYCOM and PCOM are good if you are on the late side.

Members don't see this ad :)
LHUEMT911 said:
What is your drive for applying to a DO school? Do you have a true interest in DO schools or is it because of a hardtime getting into an allopathic institution or did you not know that much about osteopathy before...etc...? I hope you don't take that in a rude way as it was not meant to be conveyed as such. Just make sure you can clearly explain why you want to go DO as I have been asked that at all of my interviews. You definitely still have time to meet the primary and supplemental application deadlines for most schools, but I would apply as soon as possible if you are serious about doing this. The schools accept on a rolling admission basis and I know classes are beginning to fill up. Also, AACOMAS is getting really backed up so even though you may send in your primary this week, the schools may not receive it for 4-6 weeks, with the primary deadlines for many schools being Feb 1, you don't have much time. I am glad to hear more people are considering Osteopathy :D and I wish you the best of luck in applying :luck:
Yeah, I know traditionally it looks as if I'm panicking and applying to DO schools out of desperality. :) I didn't originally apply because I didn't know much about it. Of couse after my MCAT score ended up being so low, everyone on the planet said "apply to DO schools." When I looked into it, I could tell they weren't interested in allopathic left overs, so I didn't feel right applying. I also saw they wanted to see DO shadowing and preferably get the DO reference. I didn't have either, and decided I would work on it during the next year and apply to both DO and MD schools next year. Well, by some magical coincidence, a DO started working in my lab. I ended up training her on one of the experiments she needed to do, and so we've been working together in the lab (off and on . . . as much as any doctor could that's also seeing patients!) for the last few months. So recently I gathered up the spine to ask her if I could shadow her . . . then I realized, I had my missing component to apply to DO schools. So I looked into it yesterday. I don't want to apply if it's too late, but it looked as if many deadlines weren't until next spring. So I decided to ask her for a reference and apply this year, rather than wait until next year. So to answer your question more directly . . . I had lost hope on my MD applications the second I got my MCAT score, so "no" I'm not doing this out of desperation. I don't know everything there is to know about osteopathy, but I have been reading about it, and I've gone on a few schools websites to see what their particular philosophy was. I will do more research in the mean time, but I feel my personality and situation (non-trad, diverse background, single mother) warrant an effort to getting into a DO school. And after getting to know the DO I work with, I figure if DO students are half as nice as she is, I'll get along great in med school! :D So that's the rest of the story. I think I will fill everything out this weekend and have it ready to submit on Monday. I know she'll get back with me by then. I would apply without her reference, but I don't have any other strong "doctor" references. Since I've worked with her she actually knows me better then the other doctors I've shadowed, and I don't really feel comfortable asking them for a reference. Anyway, I don't think waiting until Monday is going be much worse than submitting on Saturday. But I will get my transcript requests out immediately. I guess even if she does refuse to write me a letter (which would really surprise me), I will only have wasted a few bucks on transcripts. I can live with that!

Okay, I've babbled long enough. Thanks for the encouragement. Take care.

Khenon, go for it. Use that exact honest explanation on your interviews and you should do great. It does not matter if you stumble into Osteopathy as an "Allopathic reject" or "out of desperation"; what matters is that you honestly believe in being a physician and an Osteopath now and are going to be a proud and contributing member of our profession. The sore spot is when someone feels "forced into Osteopathy as their only hope" and is not a proud contributing member of the profession.
Welcome and good luck

Nate said:
Khenon, go for it. Use that exact honest explanation on your interviews and you should do great. It does not matter if you stumble into Osteopathy as an "Allopathic reject" or "out of desperation"; what matters is that you honestly believe in being a physician and an Osteopath now and are going to be a proud and contributing member of our profession. The sore spot is when someone feels "forced into Osteopathy as their only hope" and is not a proud contributing member of the profession.
Welcome and good luck

Great advice :thumbup: Good Luck

Khenon said:
I will more than likely be submitting my primary next week. I just got a opportunity to shadow, and get a letter, from a DO that works in my lab. I investigated and saw that many DO schools still had pending deadlines open, so I thought I'd throw my hat in. I'm waiting to see if she's willing to write me the letter before I submit though. It seemed as if that was a pretty important component (have a letter from a doctor "preferably" from a DO). If she writes me a letter I think I have a very real chance of getting in this year, so I'm pretty excited now. It's nice to be enthusiastic about this process for once, instead of hating it! :)

Good luck, Khenon! i hope you get in this year, I know you've worked really hard. :luck:

khenon, ive seen you post in the allo thread and i have probably been one to advice you to apply to DO schools also. im glad you did. it is not only a wonderful way to get to your ultimate goal of being a physician but it is also a smart choice to get going on your career instead of putting off your dream longer. keep doing your research on osteopathy. i think youll find that osteopathy is quickly becoming tomorrows medicine and that it is not a back up plan by any means, it is a committment like any other medical school. good luck on this cycle, better late than never. :)

Thanks for all your encouragement guys. It really does mean alot to me. This process is so aweful sometimes, so hearing kind words is always welcome!

AND, I have some great news. That DO that I work with emailed me Friday afternoon and is absolutely willing to write me a letter and wants to meet with me this Wednesday for lunch to go over any questions I have about osteopathy and give me some DO related articles to read. She's just the nicest person, and I feel so lucky that she fell into my lap like this. I'm totally stoked about applying now, and have in fact submitted my primary to AACOMAS just today. I know it'll be a while before I hear anything, but that will give me time to talk with this DO and getting updated on what I need for supplementals and interviews (I hope!!).

I'm so glad I did this . . . I just hope I'm not too late. Thanks again for all your help and support. I'll keep you all posted on my progress. Take care.

Hi all,

I also submitted my primaries late, at the beginning of November. I sent them to KCOM, OSU, and CCOM, as well as my in-state allopathic (IU). I feel really nervous about them being so late, but I have good stats (30 MCAT, 3.63 GPA, dual BA English / BS Biology degree)....we'll just see if that is enough.

It makes me feel better to know I wasn't the only one to get things in late. Just a warning, though, AACOMAS took a couple days over 6 weeks to process my app.

Best of luck,
Jesse

Khenon said:

Good luck! Hopefully things will work out for you. :thumbup:

jnpeacoc said:
Hi all,

I also submitted my primaries late, at the beginning of November. I sent them to KCOM, OSU, and CCOM, as well as my in-state allopathic (IU). I feel really nervous about them being so late, but I have good stats (30 MCAT, 3.63 GPA, dual BA English / BS Biology degree)....we'll just see if that is enough.

It makes me feel better to know I wasn't the only one to get things in late. Just a warning, though, AACOMAS took a couple days over 6 weeks to process my app.

Best of luck,
Jesse
I keep hearing AACOMAS takes a really long time. I submitted via the web on Dec. 12. They seem to update my status page fairly regularly (ie they've already posted one of my transcripts and my MCAT scores), so that makes me feel better. Someone mentioned calling them occassionally to check your status. I guess they're pretty good about that and will take care of things if they can. But I am prepared to wait until the end of Jan or early Feb. I wish I had met this DO earlier!! Oh well.

Well good luck with your application as well, and let us know when you start to hear about secondaries. Take care.

dr.z said:
Good luck! Hopefully things will work out for you. :thumbup:
Thanks dr.z!! I appreciate your support. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I submitted primary it took them 2 weeks to complete and process it. I recently called them and asked them about wait time now to submit new application or to add more school, I was told that new appli. will take 4 weeks and new school (to add to your already submitted primary) is 2 weeks. Do not know if it is fairly accurate or just an average.
Good luck.

Just an update, I got secondaries from both Ohio and Kirksville today. So at least the schools are being quick about their processing times.

-Jesse

AACOMAS can take a long time to verify your information so don't delay any longer! Since you are already a little behind you may want to find the secondaries for the respective schools and start on them now. Some schools just post them online so you can get them and get started. If there is a school you are particularly interested in I would call and email every few weeks and let them know that although you are a little late in getting started you are interested. Keep popping up in front of them. You don't want to be an unprofessional nag, but you want to be competitive. Good luck!

smc927 said:
AACOMAS can take a long time to verify your information so don't delay any longer! Since you are already a little behind you may want to find the secondaries for the respective schools and start on them now. Some schools just post them online so you can get them and get started. If there is a school you are particularly interested in I would call and email every few weeks and let them know that although you are a little late in getting started you are interested. Keep popping up in front of them. You don't want to be an unprofessional nag, but you want to be competitive. Good luck!
Really? You think I should contact schools that haven't even received my AACOMAS app? What should I say to them? I'm super enthusiastic about the west coast schools, so I'm ready to do what it take to get into them. But I don't wan to sound like an ass.

FYI: I submitted to AACOMAS on Dec. 12. I'm hoping my schools will get my app by mid Jan, but with the holidays and all . . . :(

jnpeacoc said:
Just an update, I got secondaries from both Ohio and Kirksville today. So at least the schools are being quick about their processing times.

-Jesse
That's great Jesse! Best of luck with those. I sure hope the above post was right about the 4 week processing time. It would be nice to be in the running for some interviews in Feb. I have a house to sell, and a family I have to relocate, so the earlier the acceptance the better. But I know I've put myself in a rough spot with this late application. Oh the irony! :)

Khenon said:
That's great Jesse! Best of luck with those. I sure hope the above post was right about the 4 week processing time. It would be nice to be in the running for some interviews in Feb. I have a house to sell, and a family I have to relocate, so the earlier the acceptance the better. But I know I've put myself in a rough spot with this late application. Oh the irony! :)

Submitted Nov 4....AACOMAS had everything Nov 12....They sent to schools Dec. 24th.... :rolleyes: wonder if the adcoms are taking this next week off for christmas break like the med school that i work for..hmmm, that might suck. Oh well guess we late DO'ers new it would be an uphill battle :thumbup: goodluck all

SigPi said:
Submitted Nov 4....AACOMAS had everything Nov 12....They sent to schools Dec. 24th.... :rolleyes: wonder if the adcoms are taking this next week off for christmas break like the med school that i work for..hmmm, that might suck. Oh well guess we late DO'ers new it would be an uphill battle :thumbup: goodluck all
First of all, I did NOT want to hear how long your app took! :laugh: Kidding. That's terrible though. I hope mine doesn't take that long. :scared: And I do think they're taking this week off. I know for a fact that 2 of my schools sent my transcripts to AACOMAS but the last update is from 12/17 (a couple of days before the transcripts were sent). I'm sure they have these transcripts but haven't updated the system because they're out of the office. Ugh! Woe is me.

Khenon said:
Really? You think I should contact schools that haven't even received my AACOMAS app? What should I say to them? I'm super enthusiastic about the west coast schools, so I'm ready to do what it take to get into them. But I don't wan to sound like an ass.

FYI: I submitted to AACOMAS on Dec. 12. I'm hoping my schools will get my app by mid Jan, but with the holidays and all . . . :(

I talked to a rep from Kirksville in late October, before I even started filling out my AACOMAS, and she told me to make sure to go ahead and send in my recommendation letters and start filling out their secondary online. I called the other schools I applied to, and they were fine with me sending my letters early. (Send them once, don't have to worry about it anymore.) I know if you go to Kirksville's webpage you can start filling out the secondary even if you haven't heard from them yet. Good luck!

-Jesse

jnpeacoc said:
I talked to a rep from Kirksville in late October, before I even started filling out my AACOMAS, and she told me to make sure to go ahead and send in my recommendation letters and start filling out their secondary online. I called the other schools I applied to, and they were fine with me sending my letters early. (Send them once, don't have to worry about it anymore.) I know if you go to Kirksville's webpage you can start filling out the secondary even if you haven't heard from them yet. Good luck!

-Jesse
Thanks. I'll call my top choice schools and see if they have the same policy/option. I've actually already called a bunch to verify some other info, and they're all closed until Jan. 3, so I guess I'll wait until then. It would be nice to speed up the process though. I hope it works!

How long does it take AACOMAS to verify/complete your app? I know it takes 4-6 weeks AFTER it's verified/completed for them to send them to the schools. I submitted on Dec. 12, and they still aren't complete, so I'm getting annoyed. I can't even get excited about having to wait ONLY 4-6 weeks for my schools to receive my app!

Do they show that they've received your transcripts? After they showed my transcripts as received it didn't take too terribly long for them to verify and send my things. That was at the beginning of the cycle though.

I was AACOMAS worst enemy >:} I called them routinely. :smuggrin:

I've been wanting to get in touch with schools to see how their application cycles are going since I'm applying so late. I want to know if its really worth my time and money to apply now or if I should stop AACOMAS from even sending my primary to the schools. How do you get in touch with reps or adcoms from schools? Do you just call and request to speak with one? Thanks :)

megswinter82 said:
I've been wanting to get in touch with schools to see how their application cycles are going since I'm applying so late. I want to know if its really worth my time and money to apply now or if I should stop AACOMAS from even sending my primary to the schools. How do you get in touch with reps or adcoms from schools? Do you just call and request to speak with one? Thanks :)

All the schools I ever called answered my questions. Don't hesitate to call. Besides, they get paid to do that. As for applying late - I'd be absolutely, absolutely, absolutely sure you want to wait a year. Yes, it costs money to apply, but you are not the only person to apply so late. People get accepted throughout so I'd really suggest that you apply. But having said that you need to take into account your budget, your gpa and mcat, and all the details of your personal situation to do what is best for you. Good luck!

megswinter82 said:
I'm concerned about the lateness of my application too. But after browsing mdapplicants it seemed that several people submitted last minute DO applications (literally days before the deadlines) in the past and got acceptances. I decided I wanted in this year, if at all possible, so I'm going for it. I don't think any school has filled all their slots, so it seems worth a try. Anyway, good luck with your decision. I wish you the best.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and support! I'm just a little concerned that my below average GPA (3.3cum/3.1 sci) will hurt my chances this year, since I applied so late. Although the above GPA is AMCAS so I don't know how AACOMAS will pan out (science will prob be closer to 3.2). Plus I figured that since I have new grades to submit to AACOMAS for next year, my chances will be better, especially since I have a decent MCAT, maybe I'll have more options next year :) . But again thanks for all the words of encouragment, you guys are great!

It's January 3rd as I'm posting this, and, yes I've applied to allopathic schools, and my MCATs and GPA are completely online with what allos want, but, I've always thought about getting my DO, and I spent a few weekends with a very close friend of mine who went to Touro. He is an amazing healer, a devoted doctor, and I just hadn't been exposed to DOs before. I didn't know much about what they do that's different than an MD (I went to a post-bac program and had about zero advising). I've been a massage therapist for years, and it seems to me that DOs approach medicine the way I see myself doing it. When my friend worked on me (he adjusted a few things in my body for me) I couldn't believe what I was experiencing, and that just sealed the deal for me.
I'm applying. I know I'm serious about it, so I'm hoping that shows through in my application.
All things in time, and time for all things.

:luck:

nikibean said:
It's January 3rd as I'm posting this, and, yes I've applied to allopathic schools, and my MCATs and GPA are completely online with what allos want, but, I've always thought about getting my DO, and I spent a few weekends with a very close friend of mine who went to Touro. He is an amazing healer, a devoted doctor, and I just hadn't been exposed to DOs before. I didn't know much about what they do that's different than an MD (I went to a post-bac program and had about zero advising). I've been a massage therapist for years, and it seems to me that DOs approach medicine the way I see myself doing it. When my friend worked on me (he adjusted a few things in my body for me) I couldn't believe what I was experiencing, and that just sealed the deal for me.
I'm applying. I know I'm serious about it, so I'm hoping that shows through in my application.
All things in time, and time for all things.

:luck:
Thanks for that post. So are you applying just now too? Though my status page doesn't show it, I'm sure my last transcript is in and probably processed. It's depressing to think it won't be until February before my schools receive my app. What a pain . . . but I agree. All things in time! :thumbup:

Is AACOMAS closed? I tried calling them about a transcript that still is not processed on my status page. The message gave their "normal business hours" and said call back during that time. The thing is, I was calling during their business hours (and yes, I factored in EST). Are they closed this week for some reason? I left a message but would be shocked if they actually call back. Just wanted to see if anybody knew anything. Thanks.

So my final transcript was received by AACOMAS on Dec. 27, but it wasn't processed until yesterday. Do I have to wait 4 weeks from Dec. 27 or yesterday?

Oh . . . and somebody please shoot me so I stop mulling over these questions!! :p

Khenon said:
So my final transcript was received by AACOMAS on Dec. 27, but it wasn't processed until yesterday. Do I have to wait 4 weeks from Dec. 27 or yesterday?

Oh . . . and somebody please shoot me so I stop mulling over these questions!! :p

My interpretation of what it says on the app status check page is that you will have to wait four weeks from December 27. I submitted my AACOMAS app on December 24 and my transcript was received the 23. Hopefully AACOMAS will process it all asap. Four weeks from December 24 is January 21. I'm hoping OSU-COM will receive it by the end of January at the latest. I've heard that OSU COM is pretty good about responding quickly after they receive a complete application. I think I still might have a decent chance at admissions being an Oklahoma resident. Although, I know that the places in the class are filling at this time. OSU is my top choice. It is the only DO school to which I applied this year (I had the same problem with not knowing any DOs for the letter). If I must re-apply next year, I will apply to all DO schools. I ran out of money for fees, etc. this year. Does anyone know how AACOMAS computes science gpa? Is it the same as for AMCAS, which uses all courses that fall into the categories biology, chemistry, physics, and math? The University of North Dakota considers psychology, but not sociology as a science, and uses it to compute science gpa. Do any other schools do this?

I submitted my primary on Dec. 27. If the processing time takes longer than Feb. 1, then do those schools not get my application? Or is it as long as I submitted my application, I am in good shape and everyone will get my application even after their primary deadline past? It wouldn't really make sense to give a range of 4-6 weeks and then take longer and not even send the primary, so i think i am ok. is there a chance that all the feb. 1 schools wont even look at me because my applicaton was not processed on time? Thanks

bellavista said:
I submitted my primary on Dec. 27. If the processing time takes longer than Feb. 1, then do those schools not get my application? Or is it as long as I submitted my application, I am in good shape and everyone will get my application even after their primary deadline past? It wouldn't really make sense to give a range of 4-6 weeks and then take longer and not even send the primary, so i think i am ok. is there a chance that all the feb. 1 schools wont even look at me because my applicaton was not processed on time? Thanks
You're fine. As long as your transcripts are also post marked by the deadline date of the school, then your app should be fine for Feb. 1 deadlines. I was concerned about this as well (my last transcript wasn't received by AACOMAS until Dec. 27), but I looked into it, and confirmed that it was all okay. I also applied to a couple of schools with Jan. 1 deadlines, so I was particularly concerned. I don't know how many seats are filled, but my understanding is that you'll still get consideration if they have spots open. I supposed the only way to find out is to call the schools you're worried about and ask them if they are still reviewing applications. I'm sure they'll be fairly straightforward with you. I know 2 schools (COMP and LECOM) sent out solicitations to some people, so they're obviously still looking for more applications. Anyway, good luck with your application. I wish you the best.

Am I going to see anything different on the AACOMAS status page after I'm complete? My last transcript was received by them on Dec. 27, but nothing else is different. Are they going to upload my AACOMAS GPA or anything? I realize once they send my info to my schools I'd see that, but that probably won't be for a couple more weeks. This waiting really sucks.

There is a place on the status check that tells you when your info was sent to the schools and there is a place for your e-profile. I'm not sure, but your gpa might eventually be posted on that.